Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
expodisc digital white balance filter

I noticed this ad for the expodisc filter in March PC Photo magazine. Does anyone know anything about it. Freddy

02-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I noticed this ad for the expodisc filter in March PC Photo magazine. Does anyone know anything about it. Freddy
Yes, I have purchased two of them. What would you like to know?

They work well - do a good job of setting custom white balance. Because the expocap/expodisc is sized to a specific lens, well, you may end up feeling that you want one for more than one lens - and that may be a problem.

Will
02-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #3

I bought their largest dia and just hold it on the front of my lenses that are of the smaller dia. I have been more than happy with its performance though to be honest since buying it I have not used my camera a ton, and hence little expodisc use. Even though it has not been used a ton by me yet, I would certainly recommend it.
02-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #4

Would you owners of the Expodisc say that it's performance is good even in mixed lighting. Perhaps in scenerys where natural, light bulbs and flourescene lighting all blend toghether?

Im curious, because there is a company that seems to offer a similar product in Sweden. It's called the Zerocs white balance filter, anyone used that product (which seems almost identical to Expodisc.) It seems to be a South-Corean company that manufacturers there gadgets. They are found at ZEROCS에 오신것을 환영합니다. . They are not very good at english, I hope that their product is better.

02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
Would you owners of the Expodisc say that it's performance is good even in mixed lighting. Perhaps in scenerys where natural, light bulbs and flourescene lighting all blend toghether?

That's precisely the kind of lighting where the expodisc really helps.

Be aware that expodisc is more useful when getting the white balance right in the first place is really important, which is to say, when you're converting to JPEG in the camera. If you're saving Raw files in the camera and converting later, then white balance problems can easily be corrected in your Raw processing application and "is the expodisc worth the money?" becomes, for some people at least, a somewhat harder question to answer.

Will
02-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Im curious, because there is a company that seems to offer a similar product in Sweden. It's called the Zerocs white balance filter, anyone used that product (which seems almost identical to Expodisc.) It seems to be a South-Corean company that manufacturers there gadgets. They are found at ZEROCS에 오신것을 환영합니다. . They are not very good at english, I hope that their product is better.
Wow! how old is the Expodisc? I'm surprised that someone has already come out with a knockoff, that looks pretty decent! I'm still using my white cards for now, and sometimes, if I can find it, a white tablecloth.

Whenever I am in real doubt about the lighting and feel that the custom WB setting won't cut it, I try to shoot raw.
02-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Zerocs disk looks suspiciously like a white coffee filter in a circular holder.
02-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
The Zerocs disk looks suspiciously like a white coffee filter in a circular holder.
No, it's not paper in there. Definitely plastic.

Zerocs picture

03-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

RAW and ExpoDisc

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
If you're saving Raw files in the camera and converting later, then white balance problems can easily be corrected in your Raw processing application and "is the expodisc worth the money?" becomes, for some people at least, a somewhat harder question to answer.
I shoot RAW and use an ExpoDisc 100% of the time when shooting outdoors. When I use it, I know my colour is exactly right, as opposed to the time-consuming 'guesses' in PP. I shoot with an *ist DS and whether the WB improvements in the K10D make the ExpoDisc unnecessary are to me unknown. I have the cheaper 'Classic' and all my lenses have a 49mm thread so for me it was absolutely worth it. I HATE colours that are wrong. It doesn't work at all when using flash indoors though...
03-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

I picked up a 12" diameter fold-up reflector, white on one side, silver on the other. The white side is PERFECT for a white balance target for any of my lenses. Plus I can then unse it as a small reflector as needed. Set me back about $13 or so. Folds down to a 4" diameter, 1/2" thick size.
03-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #11

I was using my expodisk yesterday in a room with VERY little natural light, tungsten light, and flourescent light. Though I have not looked at all the images a couple I did look at looked WAY closer than any of the other onboard presets or AWB setting, and it saves a bunch of time post processing a white balance. Unfortunately the images did not turn out so hot for things like the guy hittin the shutter.
03-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I was using my expodisk yesterday in a room with VERY little natural light, tungsten light, and flourescent light. Though I have not looked at all the images a couple I did look at looked WAY closer than any of the other onboard presets or AWB setting, and it saves a bunch of time post processing a white balance. Unfortunately the images did not turn out so hot for things like the guy hittin the shutter.
Yes, I think that the expodisk may be especially helpful in low light. Here is a test photo of some boxes in my living room that I took a while back with the K100D. Click the > button above the photo to see the comparison photo taken with auto white balance. You can look at the other photos in the gallery to see how dark it was in the room.

Will
03-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Delightful Utopian Digital Sterilization

RE: The Acronym: DUDS.

There was a time, not long ago, when photographers actually used light for more than it's 'illumination' effects: they foolishly shot daylight balanced color film under tungsten light for the purpose of imparting an ambiance. You've seen the scenes: a stately gentleman in his study, face warm with the golden glow; the romantic restaurant table with wine and flowers or fruit-simple and elegant and positively resplendent; the sunset or sunrise glorious with an almost ethereal warmth. Silly old goats, heh?

I've actually got one of those damnable Expodisks (77mm), and a set of Whibal cards, and a special 'Digital Gray Card' coming in the mail-assuming Robin Myers sends it before leaving for PMA. And they all work just perfectly: wonderful, perfectly accurate sterile homogenized drivel just like every image from every other user of similar tools.

Gee, isn't it wonderful. I can wait for just the right moment, just the right gentleman, still-life or sunset; perform a custom white balance and then spend an hour in the digital darkroom trying to recreate the perfectly free ambiance that I left at the scene with some cockeyed combination of digital filters in my photo editor. Wahoo!

I don't deny that these tools are mighty useful in certain situations: say kids sports in a poorly illuminated school gym or auditorium. Afterall, our 'minds eye' auto corrects these scenes and our photos should reflect that condition.

But beware! Custom white balance and tools like the Expodisk have a down side: Delightful Utopian Digital Sterilization, DUDS for short.
03-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wow! how old is the Expodisc? I'm surprised that someone has already come out with a knockoff, that looks pretty decent!
There are tons of $2 clones at ebay!

I personally prefer to shoot RAW and Auto WB and deal with it in post-processing. It takes me much less time than setting manual white balance everytime the lighting condition changes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy:
When I use it, I know my colour is exactly right, as opposed to the time-consuming 'guesses' in PP.
There is no guess work at all! You take a shot with WhiBal or a digital gray card, click on it during the RAW PP, copy white balance setttings, paste it to all shots in the same lighting conditions, voila! A few clicks in a few seconds, much faster than fiddling with a filter and going into the menu, press shutter release etc. And how about alternating lighting condition? Hard to do with expodisc and K10D's one preset.