Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I bought one a while back. actually two. I can't tell for sure in your photos, but I don't think you have realized the silver and gold paper panels are stickers. The yellowish paper back will come off and you can then stick them to one or both of the white panels.

I did the stickers, one on each side, on one panel. I'm thinking it would have been better to have stuck one on each of the white panels, thus having a white/gold and a white/silver. If you have something small, having one white reflector in the mount and having the other white reflector in hand to redirect light can be useful.

Thank you
Russell
Much thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that gold and silver panels can be peeled off and attached to the solid white panel. Now it all make sense. Thanks again! How you like the diffuser? How does it compare to others? I am liking it a lot.

Thanks,
Hin

06-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Much thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that gold and silver panels can be peeled off and attached to the solid white panel. Now it all make sense. Thanks again! How you like the diffuser? How does it compare to others? I am liking it a lot.

Thanks,
Hin
It is a great diffuser. To solve your shadow problem, you can use a flash bracket or hold the flash above the lens.
06-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
How you like the diffuser? How does it compare to others? I am liking it a lot.
I like it as it is very versatile. With the AF360 and the diffuser mounted to the side of the flash, you can get by without the swivel. It also helps for using the AF360 as wireless flash as you can point the IR receiver towards the camera, have the head pointing up, and still bounce the light towards the subject.

I've bought some translucent sheets of color plastic at the art store to use with the mount like the translucent diffuser. I still need to cut them to shape and experiment to see if it is worth while, but so far it seems like a good idea.

Thank you
Russell
06-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I agree with you that the results produced by the Sto-fen Omnibounce are not very exciting. The only thing I can say in its favor is that it's easy to use, because it has no options and there's really not much to think about. With the Omnibounce on the flash, I generally just point right at the subject and fire away.
If you just point Omnibounce type modifier right at the subject, you're just totally missing the whole conception of this device. It works when it's BOUNCED. The whole idea is to send the light all around the flash and reflect it from walls and ceilings, so it can fill its own shadows. If you send too much light directly into the subject it's not gonna work, because fill in effect will be to low and you'll get just a small, harsh light source. There is almost exactly the same thing with Lightsphere type diffusers - basically, if you point it right at the subject you're not getting the effect it's designed for (you're getting slightly bigger, ie. softer, light source with Lightsphere though). And another thing is that these types of modifiers are completely useless outside - they need walls and ceilings to work.

Speaking about amber Omnibounces for 540FGZ, I was using one of those Canon versions (I don't remember a model) - they fit good enough. The problem I had was that I used it to balance the flash for tungsten and amber Omnibounces are very similar to a CTO gels - they are giving too much magenta on a skin with a K10D in my opinion. For me, the best gel to balance 540FGZ on K10D for tungsten is Rosco Straw Tint. And talking about gelling flashes and Omnibounces - I'm pretty happy with Lumiquest Ultrabounce with Lumiquest FXtra gel holder loaded with Rosco gel samples. Very convenient combo.

06-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I was having this same problem. And reading your post actually helped me with my decision. Thanks!!!!
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've tried the Sto-fen but like the MilaGrid.

The grid is big enough to diffuse a bunch of light, I still bounce, and can use the rear reflective card to push more light forward when needed. I imagine I can try gold and silver flavors for the reflective card but I haven't gone there yet.

It lies flat across the lenses in a Lowepro Slingshot 200, taking no space.