Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
if I have to rent my K-3II replacement via a monthly subscription model, I won't be happy!
Me neither! The software industry is the penultimate example of vendors extorting customers by holding value hostage until they get their money. Zero innovation, declining quality and no attention paid to what the customer really wants. Like so many things these days, the meaning of service has been flipped on its head.

I think the current situation in the photographic equipment industry is doomed for extinction and the funeral will be for the marketing side, not the manufacturing side. If I wanted to bring a new product line to the marketplace I would start with high profile users and pay commissions for referrals. I would bypass the retail trade channel altogether and target local professionals (who are already promoting photographic services) to be demonstrators. Nurture user communities to build and sustain brand interest and loyalty. The building blocks for post-processing and digital asset management software are all available as open-source, why don't hardware manufacturers offer customized software as a selling point, not a throwaway item that is worth less than the box it comes in?

10-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Pentax released its best lens in years just a few months ago.
Pentax released an interim update (K-1 II) including the novel option to send a K-1 in for a hardware conversion to the exact same camera as the ‘new’ update.

What’s boring about that?
10-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, that seems a distinct possibility. Surely we'll see a K3ii replacement in 2019, and a few lenses from the roadmap. However, given the occasion, we may all hope for a big surprise as well.

I doubt FA updates (WR, SDM or DC, quick shift focus) are on the radar at all, and there doesn't seem to be much indication that the 645Z will be refreshed. What is everybody's best guess for "Major Surprise of 2019" in Pentaxdom? (Please don't say "closing down").
Six (at least) K-mount lenses released in the next 18 months - five (at least) announced early in 2019, plus the *11~18.
10-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But if I have to rent my K-3II replacement via a monthly subscription model
It would be dubious at best. To the best of my knowledge, PentaxMint isn't in the works.

10-10-2018, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's going to be the K-3II replacement

The real surprise - though this is highly unlikely, I think - would be some sort of announcement regarding a camera with hybrid viewfinder, per the patent applications we've heard about. That could be exciting...
So I've been wondering if there's any chance that the hybrid viewfinder could be in the new K-3 II replacement? I'm thinking that they couldn't hold back that long on the patent coming out, but then it seems some of this info comes out right as the product is in the final stages. So, is a hybrid viewfinder in the next release a pipe dream?
10-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Big things coming, or dead in the water? Are we, after all this time, in fact, doomed...DOOMED™!? Or, are we...? We're so bored around here, you could even just LIE and we wouldn't mind.
I don't know how you can say this. For the past five weeks, there have been at least two threads running simultaneously in the News and Rumors Section.
10-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Perpetual renting of cameras will never happen, simply because it's cheaper just to buy the physical model than to rent it for a significant period of time. Just check out rental prices for a typical camera for that, and the reason is because it is a physical product that has a finite life span and costly repairs should something go wrong with it. Software has near zero cost of distribution and having it as a rental. Combined with the cloud, it turns out a lot of photographers are fine with Adobe's CC. I personally would never rent software, and since a lot of others feel that way, there are still alternative products out there for us.
10-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I think there's far less to talk about these days than there was during the appearance of the K10D and K100D having SR, etc. then the transition to K20D, K200D, then the K-7 compact design, then especially the K-5 series. Many new fine lenses came along as well. Then came the K-3 series, and the K-1, and finally the phenomenal low light/higher ISO performance of the K-70 and the unique KP.

I do think imaging has become so good, so advanced, that progress has to become slower in order to be meaningful. Yes, there's always room for improvement, and for newer development, and there's more to anticipate, but it seems not to the degree as was the case in times past. I'm still enjoying my K-5IIs, even though since acquiring the K-S2, and now the KP!

10-11-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Me neither! The software industry is the penultimate example of vendors extorting customers by holding value hostage until they get their money. Zero innovation, declining quality and no attention paid to what the customer really wants. Like so many things these days, the meaning of service has been flipped on its head.
For years software vendors like Microsoft and Adobe built pretty good software and used things like winning large government contracts to make their products ubiquitous. People became accustomed to Windows and Word and Excel and paid $hundreds for each new version. Then they stagnated, let security holes in, went years with no new features (Internet Explorer) or expanded products to so many features that you need a multi-gigabyte installation package and recent hardware to type up a document. And with monopolies or quasi-monopolies people just accepted it.

But because no one could compete with these monopolistic behemoths with their massive user bases it gave an opening to the open-source community. No for-profit business would try to compete. But many people were willing to crank out code in their spare time and build apps with 90% of the functionality of Office or Lightroom at zero cost to the end user. I think that's seriously cut into the paid software market. That and piracy, I'm sure. When you charge $200 or $300 or whatever for typing up a document or reading email people will find other options.

I have little compassion for the companies who now resort to subscription models to try to make up for lost revenues that were a direct result of their complacency.

---------- Post added 10-11-18 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It would be dubious at best. To the best of my knowledge, PentaxMint isn't in the works.
I wouldn't totally put it past someone. Car companies have embraced leasing and now BMW/Audi/Merc do premium subscription models where for the low, low price of $1500 a month you have all maintenance and insurance covered and you can trade your car in for another every few weeks if you want.

I wonder how many would pay $200 a month for access to any current Pentax camera/lens and you can trade it for different one(s) every month. I bet the companies have already started modeling this, determining how it might work.
10-11-2018, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #25
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a fine old Tokina RMC 28/2.8 here that I've not used in ages... I could put that up for give-away, if you think it'll generate the same interest as the K-1 / K-1II... ?

"No", you say? Well, I tried...
I have one as well. Let's make it a two-months-in-a-row give-away - that should shake things up a bit!
10-11-2018, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
We're so bored around here,
Here's a pretty radical idea: Pick up a camera and a lens, then go out and take some pictures. I know, it's kinda far out, but I find that it works - I enjoy myself and I stop worrying over all the camera gear that don't exist. How amazing is that!

10-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The few products that Ricoh have released are indeed interesting, but so few! I have never known development progress at such a slow pace. Even the Theta which Ricoh now puts so much store in has been leapfrogged by the
(who they?) Perhaps being such a large organisation they lack agility in development, perhaps being primarily in the paper copy industry, they are focusing on this side of business and inevitably consolidating. I really don't know, but I do worry because, for simplicity's sake I only buy Pentax/Ricoh products.

Looking at the positives, my bank balance is much healthier!
10-11-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #28
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
The few products that Ricoh have released are indeed interesting, but so few! I have never known development progress at such a slow pace. Even the Theta which Ricoh now puts so much store in has been leapfrogged by the Insta 360 (who they?) Perhaps being such a large organisation they lack agility in development, perhaps being primarily in the paper copy industry, they are focusing on this side of business and inevitably consolidating. I really don't know, but I do worry because, for simplicity's sake I only buy Pentax/Ricoh products.

Looking at the positives, my bank balance is much healthier!
Your last line is the important one. Why is everyone in such a hurry to spend money on new gear rather than time in the field using that gear? If the natural march of technology delivers new, useful to me, features, I'm willing to purchase a new camera, but I don't understand the seeming longing to purchase something just for the sake of purchasing it.
10-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your last line is the important one. Why is everyone in such a hurry to spend money on new gear rather than time in the field using that gear? If the natural march of technology delivers new, useful to me, features, I'm willing to purchase a new camera, but I don't understand the seeming longing to purchase something just for the sake of purchasing it.
I think many people have a desire for the new, cool thing. It's cool because it's interesting, it has new features, it's innovative. That's fine.

But I think much of the hand-wringing about Pentax/Ricoh is that they're a very small player in the camera landscape and if they aren't innovating and giving people a reason to buy their new, cool stuff there's the creeping suspicion that they won't be a viable business for much longer. And then even most people who stick with their camera for years and years will eventually have to switch systems.
10-11-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
But I think much of the hand-wringing about Pentax/Ricoh is that they're a very small player in the camera landscape and if they aren't innovating and giving people a reason to buy their new, cool stuff there's the creeping suspicion that they won't be a viable business for much longer. And then even most people who stick with their camera for years and years will eventually have to switch systems.
Even if Pentax should become unviable for Ricoh Imaging - and I don't honestly think that will be the case (but "never say never"), it's too well established to disappear. There's value in the brand, product portfolio and patents, and someone would, I believe, willingly acquire those things and continue product development. But even if Ricoh simply pulled the plug tomorrow and buried eveyrthing, there are plenty of current and legacy Pentax cameras and lenses to last us all a long time... It would be years before any of us needed to switch (except, perhaps, those who are seriously interested in equipment over photography).