Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been mighty quiet around here, aside from the GR...

Big things coming, or dead in the water? Are we, after all this time, in fact, doomed...DOOMED™!? Or, are we...? We're so bored around here, you could even just LIE and we wouldn't mind.

DA* 250-600 F1.4 anyone?

Cheers,
Cameron

10-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've moved this to Pentax DSLR discussion as it's neither news nor rumour...

Not dead in the water... just a slow trickle of products - slower than some would like, and perfectly fine for the rest of us. More FF lenses on the roadmap; K-3II replacement more-or-less confirmed to be in development.

I'm certainly not bored, but I guess those who are primarily interested in prolific output of new equipment are better served by other brands. There's plenty of choice for all tastes and preferences.

However, all the other brands are doomed, as @beholder3 explained HERE That post is as wise and insightful as it is humorous
10-10-2018, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
DA* 250-600 F1.4 anyone?
Oh come now. Let's get real. It would have to be a 16-1600 to keep up with that recently released Nikon bridge camera (can't remember the model, but the "new" one....)

But seriously, it's really not that grim out. We all know nothing, so with that out of the way, it looks like Pentax/Ricoh is saving up some really neat stuff for the 100th anniversary. Figure we'll get the DA* 11-18. The GRIII is coming. We know they have been working hard on a K3 II replacement, and now we see what looks like a patent showing up for a hybrid EVF/OVF. So, tighten the seat belts. I think we might have a pretty wild ride ahead if we hang on. (can always hope, right?)

10-10-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Big things coming, or dead in the water? Are we, after all this time, in fact, doomed...DOOMED™!? Or, are we...? We're so bored around here, you could even just LIE and we wouldn't mind.

DA* 250-600 F1.4 anyone?

Cheers,
Cameron
A big thing to make note of is that Pentax/Ricoh have never had as many products/lines as they do today. However, updates to each line have been increasingly slow, and I think this will be the way the industry is going to push things. It's no longer about releasing a product and expecting it to be replaced quickly, but rather about creating long-term value. And that is harder than ever these days, given the fact that everyone wants in and camera companies are still trying to reshape their identities now that most people just use their phones for everything (or at least a part of everything).

Personally, I think the right way to go in the future would be something service-oriented. Services are everything these days, and they're also a great way to constantly innovate on a product while complementing hardware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM - 3 Likes   #5

Pentax released its best lens in years just a few months ago.
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But I want it meow! >:-(
10-10-2018, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #7

no more giveaway. no more posting.

10-10-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Personally, I think the right way to go in the future would be something service-oriented. Services are everything these days, and they're also a great way to constantly innovate on a product while complementing hardware.
Interesting... I can see sense in that. But if I have to rent my K-3II replacement via a monthly subscription model, I won't be happy!
10-10-2018, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

My image posts are about the same. The rest of it is of dubious value in any case. This is good for me, I'm getting myself into less trouble.
10-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
that recently released nikon bridge camera (can't remember the model, but the "new" one....)
p1000
10-10-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
no more giveaway. no more posting.
I have a fine old Tokina RMC 28/2.8 here that I've not used in ages... I could put that up for give-away, if you think it'll generate the same interest as the K-1 / K-1II... ?

"No", you say? Well, I tried...
10-10-2018, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing that they are saving some of the best things for the 100 year anniversary...
10-10-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I am guessing they don't have new AF yet so there is no point in bringing out a new camera.
10-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm guessing that they are saving some of the best things for the 100 year anniversary...
Yes, that seems a distinct possibility. Surely we'll see a K3ii replacement in 2019, and a few lenses from the roadmap. However, given the occasion, we may all hope for a big surprise as well.

I doubt FA updates (WR, SDM or DC, quick shift focus) are on the radar at all, and there doesn't seem to be much indication that the 645Z will be refreshed. What is everybody's best guess for "Major Surprise of 2019" in Pentaxdom? (Please don't say "closing down").
10-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What is everybody's best guess for "Major Surprise of 2019" in Pentaxdom? (Please don't say "closing down").
I think it's going to be the K-3II replacement

The real surprise - though this is highly unlikely, I think - would be some sort of announcement regarding a camera with hybrid viewfinder, per the patent applications we've heard about. That could be exciting...