Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
regken, as others have written (but not loud enough)...
GEOSETTER.DE
It writes all you need directly into K20D RAWs (and much more) and is fun to use.

Depending on what Logger you use, you may want to use GPSBabel (do NOT be afraid of using multiple programs. I actually have three icons on my task bar:
1. GPS Logfile Import (copies track file from Logging device onto disk)
2. GPSBabel
3. GeoSetter

By using GPSBabel, I am able to use the NMEA raw track file and convert it to GPX maintaining the altitude data (so I later can search by altitude as well ). Forget about all the integrated "all in one program" crap. Esp. if it mentions Google or any photo sharing portal...

Pay attention which Logger to buy. Ignore software in that decision! Pay attention to size, quality of reception, battery life and if it automatically switches off when not moved.

I use "XAiOX iTrackU BLUETOOTH GPS-RECEIVER SiRF III" which I am very happy with. I throw it into my photo bag in the morning and do entirely forget about it. As it should be, but almost never is... It is rebadget in the US, I don't remember the make.

Assorted links:
XAiOX iTrackU Bluetooth GPS Receiver SiRF III
GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
GeoSetter for Windows
Hay Thanks!!! Just looked at their demo. Looks like it is simple enough even for me. I'll send them an email to confirm it will work with both my k10D and A700. That would save me the hassle of changing all the files to DNG.

As far as the data logger is concerned I like to support local companies so I'll check the Delorme model to see if it meets the criteria you outlined.

Thanks again for the info.

Ken

09-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Just looked at their demo.
There is no demo, the program is free.