Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
GPS logging

Hi,

Is there a relatively easy way to use a GPS tracker and place the lat-long data in the exif file for us old folk that are computer challenged?

I know you can sync the time on the camera with a cheap hand held garmin then get an XL file of the whay points but am lost after that. Any easy way of doing this?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

09-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 525
I think the easiest way would be to get a data logger that supports memory cards. I have read in one of the recent photo magazines, that with dedicated data logger all you have to do is to synchronize date/time on the camera and logger and when you are done, just plug the card into the loogger and it will update EXIF data.
09-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 452
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I think the easiest way would be to get a data logger that supports memory cards. I have read in one of the recent photo magazines, that with dedicated data logger all you have to do is to synchronize date/time on the camera and logger and when you are done, just plug the card into the loogger and it will update EXIF data.
The device you are speaking of is the easiest way to get geotag information into photos. However, last time I checked that gadget only edited the EXIF information in JPEGs and no other format. There was another thread here recently that mentioned the manufacture might be adding data off-load capabilities into the device. At that point you're back to regken original problem.
09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
Original Poster
I have been looking at the different data loggers that are available. Same old problems. They don't support RAW files and you have to be computer savvy to juggle several different files then learn how to put them into the exif file, drats.
Can't believe somebody hasn't come up with an idiot proof system yet.

09-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 452
Which OS do you use? I think I have some links to good Mac programs that looked pretty easy to use. For any platform or program is process is the same: 1) Download the GPS tracking information from the unit (sometimes this needs a different program) 2) Translate into a format (one of 2 I believe) that the EXIF writing program can read 3) Point that program to your pictures and process. The only real trick is to make sure that your camera clock on your camera and the GPS unit are synced. The program will look through your geotrack and match up the photos that where shot close to the time that point was acquired. Again I haven't done this, but the process outline above seems reasonable. Still not as easy as a card insert or a single click though.
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Which OS do you use? I think I have some links to good Mac programs that looked pretty easy to use. For any platform or program is process is the same: 1) Download the GPS tracking information from the unit (sometimes this needs a different program) 2) Translate into a format (one of 2 I believe) that the EXIF writing program can read 3) Point that program to your pictures and process. The only real trick is to make sure that your camera clock on your camera and the GPS unit are synced. The program will look through your geotrack and match up the photos that where shot close to the time that point was acquired. Again I haven't done this, but the process outline above seems reasonable. Still not as easy as a card insert or a single click though.
I'm using microsoft PC. Combining several programs will definitely lose me. Just got off the phone with Delorme. They are right here in Maine. They have a data logger for $99 and the guy said he would talk to a software engineer and see if they can come up with a program for me. If they do I'll post the results.
09-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member
jamonation's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 364
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hi,

Is there a relatively easy way to use a GPS tracker and place the lat-long data in the exif file for us old folk that are computer challenged?

I know you can sync the time on the camera with a cheap hand held garmin then get an XL file of the whay points but am lost after that. Any easy way of doing this?

Thanks for any help
How do you sync them? If you can accurately do that then I could probably write a quick python application to write exif lat/long data to a jpeg, or to a small database that associates it with raw files.
09-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
How do you sync them? If you can accurately do that then I could probably write a quick python application to write exif lat/long data to a jpeg, or to a small database that associates it with raw files.
Manually? Heck I don't know. I'm trying to figure this thing out. There must be a way of doing it. "or to a small database that associates it with raw files", Well that pretty much lost me.

09-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
I use GeoSetter, which is a freeware program downloadable from the internet.

It uses mapquest maps to display where you took the photos, which is OK if you are connected to the internet but NOT OK if you are off line.

I have contacted Garmin, who's GPS and maps I use if they have any intention of developing a geotagging program foir use with their maps and mapsource (their program for viewing maps, and generally interfacing to the GPS. The tech rep I talked to was quite interested and understoood what we are all up to with this, but could not pbviously comit the company into doing anything,
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I have been looking at the different data loggers that are available. Same old problems. They don't support RAW files and you have to be computer savvy to juggle several different files then learn how to put them into the exif file, drats.
Can't believe somebody hasn't come up with an idiot proof system yet.
I think the issue with RAW is that RAW is not standard. Look at the issue that every new camera needs a new RAW interpreter for the editing software (I waited six mnonths for PSP to upgrade from version X1 to X2 to getK10D support. K20D is somewhere off in the future I think). Until RAW becomes standard, you will be stuck.
09-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangor, Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,382
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the issue with RAW is that RAW is not standard. Look at the issue that every new camera needs a new RAW interpreter for the editing software (I waited six mnonths for PSP to upgrade from version X1 to X2 to getK10D support. K20D is somewhere off in the future I think). Until RAW becomes standard, you will be stuck.
Hi Lowell,

The closest thing there is to a standard is DNG. When I talk to Delorme again I am going to suggest they look at that as opposed to a proprietary RAW file. There has got to be an answer to this.
09-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hi Lowell,

The closest thing there is to a standard is DNG. When I talk to Delorme again I am going to suggest they look at that as opposed to a proprietary RAW file. There has got to be an answer to this.
I don't disagree, and I wish you luck. The issue is that you would need to get all manufacturers of cameras to agree to use it, or to at least within a manufacturer not continually modify the RAW format.
09-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
dbh
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
I have used GPicSync with good success. Pretty simple, free, works with PEF and DNG and Garmin GPX data files. Just point it at the folder with the photos, the GPX file, enter the time zone offset, and click Synchronize. Only thing you have to watch is keeping your camera's clock properly set (use the GPS for this before you set out on your hike).

It can create Google Earth compatible KML files for you too so you can superimpose your trip on the Google Earth display with clickable thumbnail photos placed where they were taken.

Get it at:

gpicsync - Google Code

--
dbh
09-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
baw
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Neterlands
Posts: 189
Geotagging

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
The closest thing there is to a standard is DNG. When I talk to Delorme again I am going to suggest they look at that as opposed to a proprietary RAW file. There has got to be an answer to this.
Afaik Geosetter uses ExifTool to write the GPS data into the images, and does an amazing job as far as raw files are concerned.
I use iMatch for image management and use a script that writes lat/long info into DNG files, using ExifTool. Geosetter should be able to do the same.
09-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
regken, as others have written (but not loud enough)...

GEOSETTER.DE

It writes all you need directly into K20D RAWs (and much more) and is fun to use.

Depending on what Logger you use, you may want to use GPSBabel (do NOT be afraid of using multiple programs. I actually have three icons on my task bar:
1. GPS Logfile Import (copies track file from Logging device onto disk)
2. GPSBabel
3. GeoSetter

By using GPSBabel, I am able to use the NMEA raw track file and convert it to GPX maintaining the altitude data (so I later can search by altitude as well ). Forget about all the integrated "all in one program" crap. Esp. if it mentions Google or any photo sharing portal...



Pay attention which Logger to buy. Ignore software in that decision! Pay attention to size, quality of reception, battery life and if it automatically switches off when not moved.

I use "XAiOX iTrackU BLUETOOTH GPS-RECEIVER SiRF III" which I am very happy with. I throw it into my photo bag in the morning and do entirely forget about it. As it should be, but almost never is... It is rebadget in the US, I don't remember the make.


Assorted links:
XAiOX iTrackU Bluetooth GPS Receiver SiRF III
GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
GeoSetter for Windows
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, gps, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error Trouble logging in slowpez Site Suggestions and Help 5 10-25-2009 08:13 AM
Logging onto a Tiger crbrune Monthly Photo Contests 0 01-30-2009 01:22 PM
Question Logging out mickeyobe Site Suggestions and Help 4 07-18-2008 05:17 PM
Logging Out Links Ralph Wagner Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-06-2007 01:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top