Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Will this focusing screen fit in the k-70?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Dual 45° Split Image Focus Focusing Screen For Pentax KM K200D K100D KX KR DSLR | eBay

10-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, those cameras use a different screen.

Steve
10-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those cameras have the front tab on the right as viewed from the front. The k-70 has the tab on the left. If you don't mind cutting the tab off, it will work. The smoother side of the focusing screen goes down. I see things advertised on ebay that claim to be for the newer cameras but show the tab on the right. I don't know if it is an old picture or the screen is wrong. I recently got a screen with the regular horizontal split image and cut the tab off.
10-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #4

I bought this one: Dual 45° Split Image Focus Focusing Screen For Pentax K7 K5 K-5 K3 K-3 K30 K50
but with my camera (K-70 as well) I'm having problem with front focusing and there is no shims to adjust this. I'm guessing the only way for now is either to DIY or to buy focusing screen from focusingscreen.com, the price is just not appealing - a bit over $100 + shipping and possible customs and vat cost.

10-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect the focusing error bart86 sees is caused by the tab being on the wrong side so you put the focusing screen in "upside down". The smooth side should go down, the split image wedges go up.
10-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes focusingscreen.com shows...

K-x = tab right

K-50 = tab left

So are we saying either Kx or K50 screen will work in a K70 provided the tab is cut off and inserted wedges upward?
10-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I suspect the focusing error bart86 sees is caused by the tab being on the wrong side so you put the focusing screen in "upside down". The smooth side should go down, the split image wedges go up.
Nope...not on any of the SLRs on my shelf (I have about a dozen). The screen installs with the Fresnel field and focusing aids facing towards the mirror with the focus plane being on that surface. Shims are installed in the second holder between the focus screen and the face of the pentaprism.

Steve

(...have done the screen replacement and shimming several times and currently am enjoying one of the last Katz Eye screens on my K-3...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2018 at 09:34 AM.
10-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marty-0750 Quote
So are we saying either Kx or K50 screen will work in a K70 provided the tab is cut off and inserted wedges upward?
No...The screen size and general specification changed with the newer cameras. Buy a screen to fit your camera and be happy. Alternatively, cut one down yourself.* I suggest the excellent Nikon K3 or one of the Canon screens (available at retail). I would also suggest staying with a simple single split-image rangefinder.

Steve

* Link to printable template and directions on making your own...DIY Precision Focus Screen - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2018 at 09:36 AM.