Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

why upgrade from K-50 to K-5 or K-3, etc. ?

Hi All - after having the aperture block issue with my K-50, several folks suggested getting a used K-5 or K-3. They mentioned the big upgrade in capabilities I would get with either camera. I typically use my camera for travel and for landscapes, usually shoot in AV or manual mode and keep my eye on the histogram. I would say I am more than a casual user, but am definitely not a pixel peeper. I once shot RAW and used Light Room, but now am happy with the jpeg results out of the camera.

Can you help me understand what the key benefits of an upgrade to K-3 or K-5 would give me? In my own ignorance I had thought a working K-50 is all the camera I would ever need. What am I missing? I am intrigued by the idea of upgrading.

Thanks, Bob

PS - in my 3rd try I have brought my K-50 back to life, and fully functioning, for now.

10-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigrob Quote
Hi All - after having the aperture block issue with my K-50, several folks suggested getting a used K-5 or K-3. They mentioned the big upgrade in capabilities I would get with either camera. I typically use my camera for travel and for landscapes, usually shoot in AV or manual mode and keep my eye on the histogram. I would say I am more than a casual user, but am definitely not a pixel peeper. I once shot RAW and used Light Room, but now am happy with the jpeg results out of the camera.

Can you help me understand what the key benefits of an upgrade to K-3 or K-5 would give me? In my own ignorance I had thought a working K-50 is all the camera I would ever need. What am I missing? I am intrigued by the idea of upgrading.

Thanks, Bob

PS - in my 3rd try I have brought my K-50 back to life, and fully functioning, for now.
The main reasons would be durability and burst shooting (in the case of the K-5), and image quality on top of that (in the case of the K-3). Generally speaking, these "flagship" cameras are built to higher standards than the consumer line; this includes a shutter rated for 100k/200k actuations (respectively) and metal body.

There's a pretty big jump in terms of usability and image quality when comparing the K-3 to the K-50. One of my favorite things is the improvement to the white balance and the ergonomics. This review should shed light on a lot of the other features:
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Other alternatives to consider would be the K-70 or KP. These both have even better image quality than the K-3 and further improve on the user interface. The K-70 is basically a modernized version of the K-50, while the KP is essentially a K-70 with the durability of the K-3.

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2018, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigrob Quote
I had thought a working K-50 is all the camera I would ever need.
The K-50 is still an entirely capable camera, especially how you describe your use!

The newer bodies would add nice features though!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
consider would be the K-70
I needs me that K-70 (or K-S2) flippy screen!!
10-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Based on price alone a used K-3 would serve you well even if you are not a power user shooting in raw format. Just get it and don't look back.

10-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
after an electrical gremlin started to sideline my K-50, I started looking for a replacement body; this would be a back-up to my primary body, a K-3..

I considered going with a KP or a K-70, but the K-3 hit all the boxes: great sensor, hugely capable, durability, top-LCD, and the same ergonomics (I wouldn't need to learn a new button layout)...

the K-50 is very versatile and capable, but the K-3 is even more so...

recently, I decided to buy a dedicated body for my M42 lenses, rather than play with adapters on a regular basis.... I bought a nearly-new K-5 IIs and am in love with it....

it's the same sensor as the K-50, but in a pro-style body (essentially a K-50/K-3 hybrid)....
10-16-2018, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

As you describe your shooting style, a K50 is quite capable. I do have a K50 that has been repaired for the aperture block. I also have a K3 and K1. I feel they each have strengths for different purposes. For general, always packing around use, the K50 is still my favorite.
10-16-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The current Pentax DSLR models, like the K-5 IIs and K-3, do not employ an AA filter, the lack of which revealed better fine image detail in images with my K-5 IIs compared wth my original K-5. I also bought a KS-2, which is also minus this filter. It is my extra-lightweight model, and designed much like the heavier K-70. Last year I acquired the KP. Since you are happy to shoot jpegs strait from the camera, I can report that the KP does an outstanding job. Just remember to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. It also has a more advanced AF system, a more advanced SR system than any Pentax model so far, and a better set of controls than the K-70, as well as superior pro-grade build quality and durability. It offers outstanding low-light/higher ISO performance. it is a slimmer (shallower) design like the old manual 35mm film bodies. There is also the optional battery grip having much longer battery life, vertical shooting controls, and a larger gripable surface if needed, bringing the weight close to a K-3 II without a grip.

Since you are going for an upgrade, it is a worthwhile consideration. The lenses you use are of course also a factor in the quality you will get.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-18-2018 at 03:32 AM.
10-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all. Plenty of food for thought here. I think you've collectively talked me back from the MFT cliff I was approaching when the K-50 first broke down. Got to love the Pentax enthusiasm.
10-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #9

Things I'd bear in mind:

The K-70 may also turn out to have the aperture problem, there have been some reports.

The K-5/ K-5 II/ K-5 II S seems to be a slower camera than the K-50 because it uses the older Prime II engine rather than the newer Prime M used in the K-50.

It certainly feels slower to me and there is a longer shutter lag.

Last edited by Tangent88; 10-19-2018 at 06:08 PM.
10-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the K5 as a second body. It's a good camera but aside from durability it's not really an upgrade from the K-50. The K3 has better image quality, and there is no doubt that the KP has better performance at high ISO. The K-50's ISO 3200 is already pretty bad in dimmer light (that doesn't stop me from using it though).