Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 03:02 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to Marwen

Its looking like the upcoming "Welcome to Marwen" is going to be the "Pentax" movie we have waited our lives for.
Just in the trailer for the movie, Pentax was shown no less than three times.
The camera is essentially a character in the story.

So my guess is someone at Ricoh paid big bucks for the product placement, or we have someone that has a real connection to Pentax who is in charge of the visual design.

Maybe even the choice of "Pentax" - being an outside non mainstream brand in 2018 - fits the character who is trying to escape the world?

Either way, the movie is the Pentax focus we have all been waiting for.

For those that have not seen the trailer in the movies - here it is.

10-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look forward to watching it. Thanks for the post.
10-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I very much doubt Ricoh paid for product placement for a 40+ year old, OOP camera.

Very cool indeed, but nostalgic memories for Pentax of yesterday are not in short supply. I was >REALLY< excited to
see a KP or K-1 or even a K-r, but alas....... Yes, yes, it could have been an AE-1 or F1 or even an Olympus Pen and
we may all be thankful that it wasn't, but I doubt this will really do much to bolster the current brand image.
10-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

An interesting aside is that the documentary, Marwencol, shows Malmberg using a Canon Powershot G6 digital camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-18-2018 at 06:56 PM.
10-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I remember right he started with a Pentax K1000, then someone gave him a digital camera after it stopped working. According to this article it was his mother; for some reason I was thinking it was a neighbor. I think the documentary mentioned this briefly, but it's been several years since I've watched it.

--Steve
11-07-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #6

I've recently dusted off my Pentax K1000 and am loving it and getting into film again! I look forward to the movie, saw it mentioned in a Pentax Facebook group. I think I will relate to this movie in a way; photography helped me overcome a period of depression.
11-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I remember seeing a long-range preview of that when my wife and I went to a movie, at least six months ago. I was surprised to see the character using a Pentax camera.

Regardless of whether or not Pentax paid for a product placement, they should start thinking about doing so. I'm sure that Nikon sales have been helped by all the CSI variants and NCIS using their cameras. Pentax should jump on that bandwagon.

I know that Ricoh wants the Pentax name to pay its own way, but I really think that they need to do SOME advertising, outside of the photography hobbyist press.

11-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I know that Ricoh wants the Pentax name to pay its own way, but I really think that they need to do SOME advertising, outside of the photography hobbyist press.
Something that looked like an WG-M1 was featured in the new Netflix version of "Lost in Space", so Ricoh marketing is not completely moribund in regards to product placement.

Steve
11-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks like a movie I'll definitely want to see if it's coming to my part of the world. I think the therapeutic value of photography is something that deserves some serious study and consideration as a treatment. My personal feeling is that being able to capture the world with a film or digital camera, and to make it look the way we want it to look, can give us back a sense of control that we might have lost in some other part of our lives. It's certainly what photography has done for me when things have been rough.
11-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember seeing a documentary about the guy a few years back,really fascinating story and great imagination.