Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my experience w/K100D and CRV3's

Well, my CRV3's finally died yesterday. I've previously stated that I had gotten close to 2000 shots on a set, but I was way off. I went back to my first Thanksgiving shot in November (when I think I installed the batteries and added up the shots to yesterday when the batteries died and I got 1399 shots. Sure seemed like more, but 3 months of shooting w/out worrying about batteries was nice. The CRV3's that I used were Walgreens brand (a U.S. drugstore chain) that I bought last summer during their BOGO sale. I think my total cost on those was $10.

So, I didn't get super performance, but I think I was within the average of other users I've seen. Plus, not having to worry about the batteries was nice. I still have several more Walgreen's CRV3s that I bought last summer and I'll use them for travel and as emergency backups. I'm finally back to my NiMH's now, which were giving me ~500 shots per charge, but as you can see, I generally charge them well before they can be used up.

02-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow that seems like something to keep in mind for long events. I use the Energizer 2500mAH NiMH AAs. Those give me around 400-500. Those the ones you use?
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

I've had my *ist D for 2 years, I think I may have put in a new set of CRV3s 3 times? They lasted forever for me, and that included a number of periods of heavy usage (vacation, holidays, etc). Plus they weigh next to nothing in the camera bag....
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wow that seems like something to keep in mind for long events. I use the Energizer 2500mAH NiMH AAs. Those give me around 400-500. Those the ones you use?
My NiMH's are Sanyos (not eneloops, just plain-jane Sanyo). They're 2600mAh, IIRC, but they seem to have good capacity, though my camera doesn't sit too much. I also bought a set of hybrids (eneloop knock-offs) but I haven't tried them yet.

The CRV3's are a great travel solution at the least, and they may be the way to go full time. If I didn't already have the NiMH's, I'd probably just go CRV3.

02-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Batteries remain something of a mystery to me. I'm using AA rechargeables: Energizer brand NiMH 1.2v 2500 mAh. They seem to last quite a long time - hundreds of photos. I am taking well over 500 photos a week and I don't think I change batteries every week. The advantage of the rechargeables is obvious: recharging them costs less than buying new non-rechargeable batteries - or at least I ASSUME it does.

So what's wrong with those rechargeable AA batteries, if anything? I have some CRV3s in my bag as backups, but I have not needed 'em yet.

Will
02-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
So what's wrong with those rechargeable AA batteries, if anything? I have some CRV3s in my bag as backups, but I have not needed 'em yet.
One problem appears to be a quality control issue on a few K100D's where they would shut down for low battery too soon, so we see some complaints about AA performance in forum. I think it's rare though, but it makes some people worry needlessly. .

Another problem is people (like me) who find that none of their older nimH AA's will power up a K100D. Only new ones seems to work. On reflection, I realized of that my many of my older batteries are more like 1800 and 1600 maH, unlike the 2500 and 2700 maH batteries I recently purchased. So these batteries might run my old Nikon Coolpix, but not the K100D., but what do we expect with batteries that small and so old.

NimH batteries do lose capacity as they go thru a bunch of cycles. The jury is still out on how long the newer ones will last. I think the Eneloops and Rayovac hybrids sound good though. I had some Eneloops, but I lost them.

FInally, the one time use lithum CRV3's and regulated RCRV3's will supply almost 20% more voltage as a pair will be about 6 volts, whereas 4 nimH's will be 5-5.2 volts. That means faster AF. I plan to migrate to regulated rechargeable CRV3's. and get some one time CRV3's too when Walgreens has another sale. I am leery of unregulated RCRV3's which will pump out 8.4 volts and possibly fry the camera flash circuit.

02-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your experience seems about right for CRV3s. I average about 1200 -1300 shots with them in my DS, and about 1000 shots with the AA lithiums, which seem to offer the most "bang for the buck".

02-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

Will
I don't have a problem with NiMH AA's. In fact, that was a selling point for the Pentax cameras I bought. I just tried the CRV3s when I thought I might actually expend my NiMH's before my trip was over, and I didn't want to lug a charger or another set of AA's. Since I found them pretty cheap, I was glad to try them. Now I'm back to NiMH AA's. I've found that I get ~500 shots per charge, much like you.
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Your experience seems about right for CRV3s. I average about 1200 -1300 shots with them in my DS, and about 1000 shots with the AA lithiums, which seem to offer the most "bang for the buck".
yeah, I had a set of AA lithiums in my DL when I sold it. I never ran them out so I don't know how long they'll last. I agree that they do seem to offer the best value at regular prices. If I can get another sale on the CRV3's I'll buy up some more.