Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Good - The Bad and The Ugly about Pentax

What do you guys think that is the Good/Bad and Ugly about Pentax???

I was wondering about this since a few days ago, we all know that there is no perfect camera or system but as far as Pentax is, this is my list:

The Good: build like a tank, image quality (at least in K1) is one of the best in the market, weather sealing, astro features, bang for the buck when you are in the camera target

The Bad: slow AF compared with other cameras, video features are way way way too bad for current standards, lack of modern lenses, way to slow to release new products and keep the hype, few camera models(FF) makes the brand too nichy for some.

The Ugly: Their marketing department.. we actually don't kow if that department is real or not, but if it is real their job is terrible.

Wish that the bad will come Good ones in not a long time.

Last edited by kooks; 10-19-2018 at 08:32 PM.
10-19-2018, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To "The Good" I would add K mount backwards compatibility with access to countless good quality legacy lenses, intuitive menus, and good ergonomics. Together with the other features listed, I think that adds up to just about the best digital camera on the market.

"The Bad" and "The Ugly" are subjective areas, except for video capability. But if someone wants video specifically I presume they will purchase a purpose-built video camera.
10-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

There is no Ricoh/Pentax marketing Dept.; just the photographers who like the cameras. Proof: have you ever seen any Pentax advertising?
10-19-2018, 05:45 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The good is weather resistance for shooting in the western desert. The bad is the video is terrible for capturing shoot outs. And the ugly is the fact people think pentax is going to have an unmarked grave. (There's gold in that grave!)
Dun nuh naw nuh naw, wha whaa whaaaw.

10-19-2018, 05:48 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Closed Account

Hi folks.
While constructive criticism is perfectly fine, trolling certainly isn't.
So please take a breath before hitting " Submit Reply." Thanks.
10-19-2018, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote

I was wondering about this since a few days ago, we all know that there is no perfect camera or system but as far as Pentax is, this is my list:

The Good: build like a tank, image quality (at least in K1) is one of the best in the market, weather sealing, astro features, bang for the buck when you are in the camera target

The Bad: slow AF compared with other cameras, video features are way way way too bad for current standards, lack of modern lenses, way to slow to release new products and keep the hype, few camera models(FF) makes the brand too nichy for some.

The Ugly: Their marketing department.. we actually don't kow if that department is real or not but if it does their job is terrible.

Wish that the bad will come Good ones in not a long time.
What in the heck is the point of this thread?
10-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What in the heck is the point of this thread?
Informative?? sharing experiences? accepting what we like and what we dont?? embrace the good that the brand offers and point what it doesnt? quick features that you can tell a person when they ask you why do you like Pentax?? you name it.. you will create your own point.

10-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Ugly: Their marketing department.. we actually don't kow if that department is real or not but if it does their job is terrible.
Yup. If it were good, the slow release cycle would be fine- they could build hype in other ways if they wanted, because the products themselves are excellent.

lack of modern lenses
I don't think this is the case- unless you're looking specifically at the FF prime department.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2018, 07:02 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I suspect many will agree with your list and yet, for me, the good totally outweighs the bad and the ugly.

The Good: build like a tank, image quality (at least in K1) is one of the best in the market, weather sealing, astro features, bang for the buck when you are in the camera target.
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

The Bad: slow AF compared with other cameras, video features are way way way too bad for current standards, lack of modern lenses, way to slow to release new products and keep the hype, few camera models(FF) makes the brand too nichy for some..
The K-1's AF works fine for me. Video is irrelevant for me. I've got more lenses than I know what to do with. The rate of product introductions exceeds my rate of camera buying.

The bad ain't do bad, to me.

Given that marketing adds cost to the camera without making the camera any better.

I hope Pentax keeps marketing "ugly."
10-19-2018, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

The good: build quality and ergonomics, unique lens lineup (limited) in addition to more standard choices
The bad: the video, if you happen to care for it

The ugly: buy one limited lens and you'll get hit by LBA to complete the series. Buy some vintage item, maybe an M-series lens or a film camera, thinking "oh it's a nice addition and it'll mostly work with my digital stuff anyway" and soon you'll have both CBA and LBA and multiple kits grouped by date of release...
10-19-2018, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well put and I would like to see a bit more marketing efforts from Pentax (Ricoh).
Of course, your starting post made me think of this:
10-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

#1. Yep
#2. Works fine for me...but I don't shoot BIF or sports very often. The lens selection could use a few more AF FF primes.* Video? It is a novelty for me.

#3. Yes, makes no sense.

Steve

* ...though not large aperture wide-angles.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-19-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Conciseness and clarity
10-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Video? I don't know what is better: Full frame FHD at 60 i/s or 4K 30 i/s cropped in the middle portion of the sensor ...
10-19-2018, 09:26 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

This is my list:

Good: Very solidly built camera, even the entry-level models. The menu system. I also have an Olympus mirrorless and I find the menu there practically impossible to use. Support for older lenses, which is a cheap way to try out a bunch of different focal lengths. Lots of small, excellent primes.

Bad: lack of third party support. There were a couple of cool Tamron and Sigma lenses released recently that I really wanted to get, but couldn't because they weren't available in the Pentax mount. As my photographic interests and skill have grown, I find Pentax limiting in this respect. As a result I am getting another camera for that area. Lots of third-party flash TTL systems aren't available for Pentax, and Pentax's TTL support is more limited than Nikon. However, I usually shoot studio conditions so I prefer manual for consistent exposures.

The lack of first-party wildlife lenses (500mm and up) comparable to the offerings of Canon or Nikon also sucks. That is another reason I am getting another camera. I wish more Pentax lenses had ultrasonic quiet autofocus, instead of screwdrive. Not sure why even the Olympus 40-150 can have ultrasonic focus and only cost 99$....

Ugly: communication with their customers and fans, especially about new products. Personally, I am not waiting for the K3 II successor, but it seems a lot of people are and are wondering what the devil is happening with their brand. I think they could have been a little more open during their interview. If you look at the interviews with Sigma, those are great and they inspire a lot of interest in what Sigma is doing.
10-19-2018, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #15

The Pentax lens selection doesn't bother me, for the most part. I've got my 35, 50, and 85 77 portraiture primes, and I don't care how old the designs are, because I like their size, weight, and rendering. I don't mind screwdrive, because I know the mechanism will outlive me. I don't like the modern 24-70 or 70-200 Pentaxes, but I've got my Tamron SP mid and tele zooms which I do like very much. I've got a tiny mountain of beautiful, cheap vintage manual focus glass that the K-1 makes it easy and pleasurable to use. Some day I'll buy the 15-30 and 150-450 (the FA 20-35 is mostly wide enough for me, but the 150-450 is calling my name).

So for a portraiture-heavy general photography use case, Pentax certainly meets my requirements. The bench could be a little deeper, but Sigma doesn't appeal and I think Tokina is Japanese for "optically disappointing," so I'm not real broken up that we don't get those choices.

But... but. Lately I'm getting interested in interiors and architecture. Here's the record scratch. If something forces me off of Pentax, it'll be the lack of perspective control glass. It's the first time I really find myself wondering if I bought the wrong camera. Still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about it.

A month ago, I would have put flash ecosystem support in the ugly column, too. All of my lights are Godox, though, and now that Godox has an HSS-capable trigger, I'm pretty thoroughly satisfied. Never cared about missing TTL, but now we'll get that too. Aces.

Also ugly: the Image Sync remote control app. So much potential, so much glitchy sadness.