Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Bad: lack of third party support.
Agree on that. For lenses, lack of third party support is a limitation but not blocking if there is a Pentax product available, usually, OEM lenses are still generally a tad better than third party lenses, depending on cases.
Major issue for flash systems. Lighting is very important for getting top image quality, but getting is work fully with Pentax is a hit or miss. Ricoh should actively work on that, I mean, there should be a person at Ricoh Imaging responsible for taking with main flash and strobe makers to make sure P-TTL works with Pentax cameras, especially high-end model. Currently, flash interoperability is better with older Pentax models than it is for the K1 flagship that is supposed to be used professionally, that's not good at all.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-19-2018 at 09:55 PM.
10-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not many people suggesting the non-OEM lens support is bad seem to have registered that non-AF makers like Samyang and Irix are supporting the K-mount. Irix’s offering is limited at the moment, but there’s no doubt about their lenses’ IQ and they’ve supported Pentax users from the start, all of which I find encouraging.

Anyway, I doubt Sigma is coming back, now they’ve got the start-up market for Leica SL-mount Panasonic bodies, so we should stop mourning their loss. It was good while it lasted, but it’s over now. We’re whining like an ex-lover whose paramour has moved in with a well-heeled suitor, and it’s unbecoming.

As for Tamron, it seems Ricoh picked the two most useful lenses from their lineup to adapt, and sales have been good, but which other of their lineup would enough people buy at the conversion asking price?

On the ugly side, while I agree that Ricoh’s marketing strategy for Pentax is fairly muted, it isn’t totally absent, unless you believe that advertising is all there is to marketing. Given the size of Pentax sales, would anyone care to venture what their marketing budget should be? I’m not talking about strategies or activities they could undertake: I mean dollars or yen. I have no idea what the benchmark is for photographic hardware, but I suspect people who throw about grand ideas for these things don’t have much of an idea either. It strikes me that Ricoh undertakes the front end of marketing (ie researching what’s happening in their patch, and what’s likely to sell) fairly well, the Theta, the K-1 and the new lenses being cases in point.
10-20-2018, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #18

'Good': Very nice colouring of JPGs OOC.

'Bad': Weight is high for all new lenses/bodies

'Ugly': FF product release cycle (especially prime lenses) is too slow
10-20-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
"The Bad" and "The Ugly" are subjective areas, except for video capability. But if someone wants video specifically I presume they will purchase a purpose-built video camera.
It depends upon what we mean by "purpose-built video camera", I suppose. For more and more videographers, that would be a mirrorless camera. I was shooting the opening of an art exhibit last week, as were about 8 other members of the press. I was the only one still using a traditional video-only camcorder. My reporter and I were pulling a cart-full of equipment while everyone else was working out of a shoulder bag. Even as I'm writing this, my department is strongly considering going mirrorless. So I think the lack of better video in Pentax cameras is a bigger "bad" out in the real world than it is here on the forum. For me, it almost negates all the "good" that I've loved about Pentax over the years. Most of it has been listed already...build quality, backwards compatibility with lenses, image quality, logical controls, plus a bit of a "cool" factor in using something less mainstream than Canon or Nikon. It'll never happen, but I keep wishing Pentax would make a camera more centered around video and sell that as an option. Maybe update the K-01 into something along the lines of a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera. Just something that doesn't force a choice between Pentax and the evolving world of imaging.

Edited to add: I didn't mean my post to be directed soley at PJ1. I just used his/her post as a starting spot for my thoughts.

10-20-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
So I think the lack of better video in Pentax cameras is a bigger "bad" out in the real world than it is here on the forum.
I believe this is the case as well. I don't shoot video. But, many people I know do, even if it is video from their smart phones. My feeling is that if those smart phone users want to up their game to an interchangeable lens camera ( and spend the money to do so) , then they will expect better video capabilities than what Pentax currently can produce. There is a big market out there for video that is not represented here, and it even if Pentax did not have pro level video they would capture more users with capable video. The way I see it is more users would equal more more ability to keep those new lenses coming. Yes I have LAD and am proud to admit it.
10-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
What do you guys think that is the Good/Bad and Ugly about Pentax???

I was wondering about this since a few days ago, we all know that there is no perfect camera or system but as far as Pentax is, this is my list:

The Good: build like a tank, image quality (at least in K1) is one of the best in the market, weather sealing, astro features, bang for the buck when you are in the camera target

The Bad: slow AF compared with other cameras, video features are way way way too bad for current standards, lack of modern lenses, way to slow to release new products and keep the hype, few camera models(FF) makes the brand too nichy for some.

The Ugly: Their marketing department.. we actually don't kow if that department is real or not, but if it is real their job is terrible.

Wish that the bad will come Good ones in not a long time.
I am far from being a Pentax fanboy but I simply don't have any "bad" or "ugly" on the Pentax brand as a whole. One body might appeal to me more than another based on specs (or lack thereof) but I'll reflect what is not bad to me because I'm simply not interested.

The good
Yep, bodies are built to a very sturdy standard as well as being WR, even the lower-rated models. Great IQ in raw (which is really all that matters to me), excellent lens availability both old and new in excellent quality and in the ranges I use 99.99% of the time (10-300mm). Some nifty features such as TAv, liveview with focus-highlighting, useful and clear menu setup. Even the cheaper bodies have a full featureset (unlike other brands which sometimes intentionally cripple their cheaper models).

The bad
AF is plenty fast and accurate for me as a landscape/architecture/cityscape shooter, never shoot video so don't ever need it (they could take it off the camera altogether and I wouldn't ever notice, more lenses than I could ever schlep around in a bag, exactly on-cue to release new products keeping up with my rhythm (one new body purchase every 3 years) and hate any hype, no need ever for FF as I'm thoroughly happy with APS-C as a compromise between IQ/Cost/Bulk and I have no issue being "nichy" (I've been running Linux for almost 15 years so niche fits me fine).

The ugly
Don't care about their marketing department (or anyone else's whether cameras, cars or kitchen equipment)
10-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The good...

Pixel Shift
Astro tracer
In body SR
Toughness
Weather sealing.
Lens selection.
Keeps me in the high IQ game without spending the big bucks demanded for competing systems.

The bad,
Lacks AF for some types of sports and action.

The ugly.
Nothing that matters to me personally.

IMHO, going out and learning to use the camera for it's strengths more than compensates for the deficiencies people harp on. The thing is if you use the camera to it's potential, and if you really need something else, buy the something else for it's strengths and you have what you want. The criticism is always Pentax doesn't do everything. But, the things they don't do. fast high speed AF, marketing etc. have nothing to do with overall every day IQ for most Pentax users. But that's a circular argument, they are Pentax shooters because they enjoy the Pentax mindset. If they enjoyed the Nikon, Canon or Sony mindset, they'd be shooting Nikon, Canon or Sony cameras, wouldn't they?

This is clearly a discussion for the Canon, Nikon and Sony shooters among us. They know where Pentax let them down and what they bought to compensate. To have a long list of "bad's and uglies" we'd have to experience those things. I just don't. For me there's a huge "yawn" factor on all those negatives.

But, I pretty much abhor marketing, don't take a lot of action shots. always shoot the lowest IQ possible, find that for the most part stationary images are preferable to action images. You can list all the negatives you want. None of them cancels, "best IQ for your dollar." for landscape, nature shooters. at least in my opinion. Really, that's all I want. I really don't like flash or artificial light, I get decent action images with Pentax AF, I don't need a marketing department to help me understand the value of things.

10-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I know we may all have our own opinions, but for me Pentax is my choice. I would not agree that there is any bad about it, and feel that the product type that Pentax produces is a superior type. I have always been immediately helped when in need by Pentax customer service, and find that the marketing is neat, precise, and informative.
10-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
But... but. Lately I'm getting interested in interiors and architecture. Here's the record scratch. If something forces me off of Pentax, it'll be the lack of perspective control glass. It's the first time I really find myself wondering if I bought the wrong camera. Still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about it.
A tilt shift lens is on my never-going-to-actually-buy-it wish list of specialty lenses I can't justify (along with an anamorphic lens)...
I actually OWN a shift lens though, as I bought the Laowa 15/4 for its macro capabilities earlier this year, so I've been having fun playing with my half-a-tilt-shift since then.

I know Schneider optics made a (disgustingly expensive) T/S in K-mount that was listed on B&H for a while, but the one that would actually be a possibility for me if I ever decided I really needed one is the Rokinon 24/3.5.

I assume you are aware of the Rokinon and want something different though? I am curious what you'd like to see made available. (I'd like a macro T/S most definitely)

---------- Post added 10-20-18 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The criticism is always Pentax doesn't do everything. But, the things they don't do. fast high speed AF, marketing etc. have nothing to do with overall every day IQ for most Pentax users. But that's a circular argument, they are Pentax shooters because they enjoy the Pentax mindset.
This simply isn't true. I shoot Pentax, and there are LOTS of things I appreciate about it, but the "things they don't do" absolutely affect me. I haven't upgraded from my K-7 because I am only going to able to afford ONE upgrade over the next 15 years or so (and I definitely can't afford to replace all my lenses by switching systems), so I am waiting for one that will cover my video needs. I shoot dogs and children and nature (flora, fauna, landscape, etc), and I am looking forward to better AF when I someday replace my camera. I will get a boost regardless, but I would absolutely benefit from it if they "catch up" to the other brands by the time I'm ready to buy.

...and the lack of marketing also affects me. Not because I need to see ads to know they exist, but because I used to able to go into my local Henry's any try lenses and bodies, and now I can't. I'd never even be using Pentax if it hadn't been there in the brick and mortar store when I was looking for my first SLR.
10-20-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
I assume you are aware of the Rokinon and want something different though? I am curious what you'd like to see made available.
Yes, I'm aware of the Rokinon. I'll probably buy it. It looks like it has to be stopped down to F8 before it's good, but for the kind of photography I'd buy it for, that's a reasonable design compromise.

It still has questionable quality control, junky controls, and too much distortion compared to, say, the Canon TS-E lens in the same focal length. And of course, there's just one lens, versus two whole Canon TS product lines, including an even wider option. There are good workarounds for Pentax on the long end (Cambo Actus with a PK back mount and dirt-cheap Mamiya 67 glass in front, tasty...) but on the wide end the Rokinon is the only game in town with tilt and shift movements.
10-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another big GOOD is how intuitive is the menu and camera layout.. I feel like even if is the fist time with a Pentax the menus and the way they placed al the buttons and wheels is very very intuitive.

And yes.. Third party lens support is part of the BADS.. but I think that this goes along with how nichy the brand is, for third parties (lets say Sigma & Tamron) the K mount is too small.

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The bad
AF is plenty fast and accurate for me as a landscape/architecture/cityscape shooter
For not fast moving subjects the AF is enough, but for moving objects it is way way behind, I tried the A7iii and holy smoke, that was fast, and AF tracking is just unbelievable so it all depends of what you shoot.

Last edited by kooks; 10-20-2018 at 10:51 AM.
10-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Yet another thread where I have to repeat that I've never used the video mode on any of my Pentax cameras and I'd even prefer to get rid of it entirely.

Bad? It's only bad because it probably makes the cameras more expensive

(Yes, there are different points of view )
10-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
There is no Ricoh/Pentax marketing Dept.; just the photographers who like the cameras. Proof: have you ever seen any Pentax advertising?
I've seen K-1 advertised in Outdoor Photographer once. I cut that ad out and will frame it later
10-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 22codfish Quote
Proof: have you ever seen any Pentax advertising?
Ever is a long time - so the answer is yes, quite a bit, actually
10-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
If something forces me off of Pentax, it'll be the lack of perspective control glass. It's the first time I really find myself wondering if I bought the wrong camera. Still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about it.
Find a legacy Pentax shift lens :-
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I've got one. No auto focus or auto anything, but for that sort of photography you don't want it - it demands slow and ponderous tripod work.

---------- Post added 20-10-18 at 12:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't need a marketing department to help me understand the value of things.
Neither do I, but the trouble with no advertising is that the bricks and mortar stores don't generally stock stuff unless it is advertised because they think they won't sell it. They might be right, but is is a self-fulfilling assumption anyway. That's why I don't see any Pentax stuff in any bricks and mortar store, nowhere near me at least.