Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Well, if you had read the manual you would know already. Its on page 53
I am looking at page 53 and don't see anything about zoom following focus point for the face detect feature.* What Bruce is describing is a logical extension of the zoom feature, but not one that is documented or previously reported on this site.

Steve

* ...and at least on some Pentax models extends to other AF modes in live view too.

10-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It should be noted that you also can keep half-pressing the shutter button and just push the backside AF-button to activate focus again.

This is a reasonably well working technique for close distance portraits with fast aperture lenses where you put the tracking box over the one eye you want in focus.
Ah... cool, will have to check that. I use AF2? I think, whereby the shutter button is cancelled out (for focusing), so I do all my focusing with the back button only.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And here's me trying desperately hard not to touch the screen with... nose, cheek, fingers, so I can actually see what's going on when I'm photographing.

Maybe it's just me then...

Well, it does raise a good point that if we do get a ported touch screen from the GRIII eventually, we'll all need to bring extra clothes with us, perhaps even attaching one to the camera for all times

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Well, if you had read the manual you would know already. Its on page 53
No, I don't think so, have a proper read of the thread. I'm not alerting people to the fact there's a Face Detection mode which sounds as if you think that's what I'm doing here

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am looking at page 53 and don't see anything about zoom following focus point for the face detect feature.* What Bruce is describing is a logical extension of the zoom feature, but not one that is documented or previously reported on this site.

Steve

* ...and at least on some Pentax models extends to other AF modes in live view too.
Yup.
10-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
we'll all need to bring extra clothes with us, perhaps even attaching one to the camera for all times
I already have the perfect solution...

10-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I already have the perfect solution...
Did I say clothes? I meant cloths! lmao

10-21-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Did I say clothes? I meant cloths! lmao
Well I still do prefer my solution...
10-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

And here's me trying desperately hard not to touch the screen with... nose, cheek, fingers, so I can actually see what's going on when I'm photographing.

Maybe it's just me then...

Nope, it's not just you

I definitely want my screens to be "untouchable" as well as untouched
10-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nope, it's not just you, I definitely want my screens to be "untouchable" as well as untouched
Good to know I'm not alone oot there...

10-21-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't touch screens for people with skinny fingertips?
10-21-2018, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Aren't touch screens for people with skinny fingertips?
Oh dear, this is not getting any better for me...
10-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is no accounting for taste...
Aye... but you want to see the flurry of action, if you give a few lenses at the same time.
10-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I tried this new 'Face Detection Zoom' yesterday with Mrs Banner The technique worked a treat!

Using the K-1+FA77 and Ringbox for flash, I was in Live View mode using Face Detection, as soon as I got the yellow box confirmation for the face I focused in and got a lock, I then used the 'OK' button which gave me an ultra quick zoom to the eyes. Now... because I was using the Ringbox flash and the FA77 doesn't have Quick Shift focus, I opted instead to just physically move my camera slightly further or closer away from the subject whilst keeping an eye on the Live View screen and analysing the level of clarity and sharpness I was seeing on the eye (and lashes). Once I felt I had it as sharp as I could get it I took the shot. This was the result below;

This was taken at f2. As you can see (ring flash personal taste aside) her left eye is perfectly sharp, lashes included. Shooting f2 this close (this is an uncropped shot) makes it very hard to land that kind of eye focus well, very thin DoF, so much that her other eye is very soft.

NB: If you are also shooting more stopped down, during the time when you have pressed the 'OK' button and have a zoom in on the eyes, if you also activate the optical/digital preview slider switch (the same switch for on/off) you get to see the shot as it would appear if taken, handy for even greater clarity focus feedback.