Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
Banned

I don't know about he rest of you all, but to me the smartest move they made was including the flash. I think that will most definitely bring in a lot of customers, its like an all-in-one deal. camera, lens, flash. I agree though, they absolutely have to get these on store shelves for it to truly succeed. I sure hope pentax can do that.

09-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
If name K2000 is too long for you, why don't you use the other name of the camera: K-m?

Naming it K2K is very misleading, I thought you're writing here about future high-end Pentax camera.
Okay, okay, sorry, I just thought it was a catchy name
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I agree with the OP and Wheatfield on this, I think the K-M or whatever it is (stupid to have 2 different model numbers) is a smart move. Cameras are the gateway to LBA. Cameras are low profit volume units. LBA is where the real money is.

Get someone on your brand and you might just have a lifetime customer. But the Filet Mignon and ketchup is so very true. They better have a K30D ready to show at PMA. Otherwise Pentax will loose top end users looking for more as you're gaining the entry level ones. A 4th body with all the things the advanced to Pro user wants.
A 4th body would definitely seal the Pentax line. I think it would be awesome if they did it, but I would also be somewhat surprised. In the past, Pentax has been somewhat slow to release new products. Hopefully they can step it up.
09-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is already tied in with Walmart.com Pentax store at Walmart.com. I don't think this includes brick and mortar right now, but maybe in the future. The K-M package would sell nicely there, and then maybe other retailers would take notice.

Please don't let the discussion devolve into the relative merits/faults of Walmart.

09-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #20
Damn Brit

Despite my feelings towards Walmart (don't worry Russ I'm not starting anything), this could be a real lifeboat for Pentax, especially if they get them into stores. From a customer point of view the connection with Walmart will keep the pricing sensible.
I'm sure a lot of us are going to buy this new camera for historical reasons. This could definitely be make or break time for Pentax regardless of which new lenses they release (that is only a finite market).
And if they want to bring out versions with swarovski crystals on the case, the crystals will come in handy to scratch my arse with when it itches.
09-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #21
Inactive Account

From the point of view of someone new to DSLRs in general I think I can understand Pentax's motivation in releasing the K2000, K-m or K2K (I think that is catchy). It seems that once you are in a system you are likely to purchase lenses and other accessories for that system. Naturally there is profit here for Pentax in the short-term and then, later, when the DSLR newbie has reached a point when they are ready for a step-up in terms of camera capability the user is going to look at the money invested in Pentax kit and upgrade to a more expensive Pentax.

From that point of view I think this is a very important camera in making inroads against Canikon.
09-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't know about he rest of you all, but to me the smartest move they made was including the flash. I think that will most definitely bring in a lot of customers, its like an all-in-one deal. camera, lens, flash. I agree though, they absolutely have to get these on store shelves for it to truly succeed. I sure hope pentax can do that.
I agree and this might be a brilliant (and lucky) move on Pentax's part. If the economy worldwide is going to be in for a rough ride over the next year or so. A top end, high priced, camera is not the place you want your company placed. Pentax might be selling lots of entry level cameras while the other $3000 bodies are sitting in the warehouses. A resurgence of sorts of the K1000 in 2008/9.