Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #226
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The KP with the small/pancake lenses is outstanding....small fast, modern, has much higher ceiling than most mirrorless cameras (certainly more than the RF mirrorless standard--Leica TL2 of CL auto twins from the Red Dot People)….I doubt SLR's are going anywhere for a long time, particularly given the cult status film has with a whole new generation of shooters.
According to cipa the dslr isn't going to customers at the moment (in Japan) where dslr are decreasing in sales and mirrorless is increasing in sales.

12-03-2018, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
According to cipa the dslr isn't going to customers at the moment (in Japan) where dslr are decreasing in sales and mirrorless is increasing in sales.
Of course, if we believe Japan reflects the future, then we should all buy compact cameras. Compacts outsell ILCs by 34% in Japan, the highest ratio anywhere.
12-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #228
Banned

It is a very different market then the Western world.
12-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
BUt I doubt those consumer mirrorless cameras are going to serious photographers or prosumers as most DSLR system or kit lenses won't fit given the short body length to the sensor. Why would I surrender all my wonderful Pentax K glass that would not be completely compatible even with a requisite adapter....? Japan seems to be more about the Nikon D500 crowd of "faux DSLR's".

12-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Japan seems to be more about the Nikon D500 crowd of "faux DSLR's".
a) Japan (and to a lesser degree Germany) love photography and there is an entire range, as is true everywhere, except per capita there is a lot of photographic interests.

b) On many levels, the Nikon D500 is one of the best APS-C DSLRs today.

c) To me, a "faux DSLR" might be a superzoom bridge camera, so I don't understand the reference to the D500.
12-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #231
Banned

BUt I doubt those consumer mirrorless cameras are going to serious photographers or prosumers as most DSLR system or kit lenses won't fit given the short body length to the sensor. Why would I surrender all my wonderful Pentax K glass that would not be completely compatible even with a requisite adapter....? Japan seems to be more about the Nikon D500 crowd of "faux DSLR's".
Just for the October shipping to Japan, the average unit price was for mirrorless 38,8 % more expensive then for dslr. So dslr is becoming a market for cheap camera's.
12-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #232
Pentaxian

Something to consider about Japan and other Asian countries is their need for glasses far exceeds countries in the west. As a glasses user I can testify how annoying OVFs are.

12-03-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
a) Japan (and to a lesser degree Germany) love photography and there is an entire range, as is true everywhere, except per capita there is a lot of photographic interests.

b) On many levels, the Nikon D500 is one of the best APS-C DSLRs today.

c) To me, a "faux DSLR" might be a superzoom bridge camera, so I don't understand the reference to the D500.
I meant the bridge cameras...oops...I quoted the wrong model--apologies
12-03-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
As a glasses user I can testify how annoying OVFs are.
EVFs are going to be just as annoying for you too.
12-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I meant the bridge cameras...oops...I quoted the wrong model--apologies
I'm a Pentax guy after all.....
12-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
EVFs are going to be just as annoying for you too.
You don't need to wear glasses for an EVF if you're near sighted.

Edit guess you could use a diopter attachment, duh.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 12-03-2018 at 04:07 PM.
12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #237
Inactive Account

DSLR dead or not, I don't care because I know my next upgrade body won't have a mirror in it, it doesn't matter Pentax or not. Therefore I seriously stop buying a new Pentax's gears UNTIL they give me a clear direction. Give me a mirrorless body or I won't stick around..Ok?...
wait!
the last time I said this was like 3-4 months ago, maybe? and I end up getting 2 lenses since then, DA*55 and DA10-17...!
... and , and... holiday season is fast approaching... DA35 limited looks reeeeeally nice... wait... Stick to da plan...stick to da plan... I will just checking the latest holiday deal and i promise i won't click that buy now button.. again!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by tokyoscape; 12-03-2018 at 04:47 PM.
12-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BUt I doubt those consumer mirrorless cameras are going to serious photographers or prosumers as most DSLR system or kit lenses won't fit given the short body length to the sensor. Why would I surrender all my wonderful Pentax K glass that would not be completely compatible even with a requisite adapter....?
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Last year, the most popular MILC brand in Japan was Canon, who has a limited array of MILC lenses, but a substantial array of EF-mount DSLR lenses and a "full function" adapters allowing use of any EF-mount lens on any MILC camera. I'm not sure why you would expect any less from Pentax. My personal expectation is that any Pentax MILC will provide a K-mount.
12-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #239
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Of course, if we believe Japan reflects the future, then we should all buy compact cameras. Compacts outsell ILCs by 34% in Japan, the highest ratio anywhere.
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
DSLR dead or not, I don't care because I know my next upgrade body won't have a mirror in it, it doesn't matter Pentax or not. Therefore I seriously stop buying a new Pentax's gears UNTIL they give me a clear direction. Give me a mirrorless body or I won't stick around..Ok?...
wait!
the last time I said this was like 3-4 months ago, maybe? and I end up getting 2 lenses since then, DA*55 and DA10-17...!
... and , and... holiday season is fast approaching... DA35 limited looks reeeeeally nice... wait... Stick to da plan...stick to da plan... I will just checking the latest holiday deal and i promise i won't click that buy now button.. again!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do more Japanese citizens use cameras or do fewer of them own smart phones {compared to the Western world, where most people who don't use an ILC 'get by' using a smart phone}
12-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
wait!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree....your'e committed to a certain genre, but remember, many DSLR lenses are not compatible with a mirrorless format due to the focal lengths and the spacing....even with adapters, there will probably be no AF on the lenses....I have mirrorless cameras (Leica M9 and new Leica Cl) and I gravitate to the Pentax DSLR, because of the intuitive pentaprism and the level of control. Also, I have fat hands and anything smaller than the KP or the K-S2 doesn't sit well.