Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
I can relate to the Original Poster's concerns. I sold my Pentax DSLR - a K200D with a beautiful and relatively fast (f2.8) Tamrom zoom (17-50mm) - for similar reasons: it was just too heavy, lugging around on longer hiking trips. The series of smaller and generally excellent micro four thirds cameras I replaced it with (mainly Olympuses, later Lumixes) were and are soooo much lighter weight than my K200d - and the lenses I've bought, initially some tiny zooms and later some equally tiny primes, have been outstanding pieces of glass. In particular, the Leica-branded Panasonic-Leica primes I've bought have been easily the equivalent, in all the ways that matter to me, of any of the fine Pentax lenses I ever shot with (a whole raft of Takumars back in my analog days).

The only surprising part of the OP's original post, was the characterization of the Fujifilm XE-3 as a small and lightweight rig. I have friends who shoot with the Fuji EX cameras which, let it be said, are really great cameras and fun to shoot with but, until my recent acquisition of a larger mu4-3 body (a GX8, which I bought for its superior sensor and remarkable EVF, the best I've ever used), the Fujifilms all seemed massive and heavy to me next to my smaller micro four thirds bodies. Confession: I bought, still own, and will never sell one of the tiniest micro four thirds bodies, Panasonic's jewel-like GM1, a tiny camera which reminds me of my late, lamented (and beloved) tiny Rollei 35 compact film camera, which I carried everywhere with me, for years. If you want small and lightweight - and the ability to use fine and truly tiny primes and excellent smaller (pancake) zooms, the GM1 (and its sibling the GM5) are rather unique in recent digital photographic history.

But I'm digressing...back to the original post. I relate to it in many ways. But, surprise surprise, I have now returned happily to the Pentax fold - I just bought a KP body (thanks the the recent Black Friday sale madness, here in the States) --- and....damn! the camera body is barely larger (though slightly heavier) than my current best micro-four-thirds camera, the Lumix GX8. Unlike many other Pentaxians, I wouldn't characterize my KP as either tiny or lightweight - but its relatively compact dimensions and beautiful build quality (among the best of any camera I have ever owned, and not just the digital ones) - are almost addictively compelling for me.

It's also all about the glass. Different strokes for different folks. I don't shoot sports and I don't need long telephotos or zooms for birding or whatever, either. So my two most used lenses - the diminutive DA 21 Ltd ... and the even more astoundingly minuscule DA 40 micro pancake - when mounted on my KP ... literally put it in the same size-weight range as my (quite small) micro four thirds cameras.

And...damn....the images and files it produces....are bloody remarkable. Rich colors. Malleable RAW files. And a certain special je ne sais quoi that some Pentax lenses just seem to have. So - I don't know if the End of DSLR's is looming on the event horizon - but in my own life, DSLR's are vibrant and alive, and I gotta give credit where credit is due: it's all because of the KP. For me.
Good post. Realistic comparisons based on personal experience! Couldn't agree more regarding the KP- a whole lot of camera in a package not much more than the compactness of mirrorless APS-C designs, or even the better 4/3 models! Consider its superior controls, along with superb IQ, and it really shines!

---------- Post added 12-08-18 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Miguel: I feel the same way. The Kp with the 40mm XS pancake is fast and accurate (f2.8 out of that little guy). I also use the K-S2 with that prime 40mm and the WR retractable 18-50mm. The kit weighs less than most point and shoots. Plus on the KP that RE lens pops a bit more than on the K-S2. As a gag, I put the 40mm on my K-1 ii--it was funny but it took fairly pics as well....The small 70mm looks like a potential keeper too. I'm still waiting for my KP accessory bag from Adorama, so we'll see if it finally arrives...so let's keep snapping...
I feel the same way about the K-S2 with the 18-50mm super compact zoom lens or DA 40mm LTD also. A high-preforming DSLR and a good zoom lens in a large jacket pocket- amazing! As to the shirt-pocket crowd, the latest phones have become good enough for snap-shot photos in decent lighting, so just go with that!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.