Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Its not the problem of the EF mount that will stick dor at least 10 or mo years. The problem is EF mountnon a small mirrorless body. Both Pentax and Sigma proved that a full DSLR mount on a mirrorles camera isnt really a recipe for success...
M43 would be a faaaar better fit..
I don't think you are reading things right at all. The EF mount has a registration distance of 44mm which is actually relatively short for SLRs. A camera body with this distance and no mirror could mount Pentax, Nikon and of course Canon lenses. But the bigger question is specs and functionality. That is where the K-01 and Sigma endeavors fell down and I doubt that the Yongnuo will have anything close to Olympus or Panasonic functionality. The big thing going for it will be that it is cheap, but that probably won't be enough to sell many.

11-04-2018, 04:42 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A camera body with this distance [44mm] and no mirror could mount Pentax, Nikon and of course Canon lenses.
There would be big problems with infinity focus though. I don't think there will ever be a "universal" lens mount in the future.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-04-2018 at 04:50 AM.
11-04-2018, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you are reading things right at all. The EF mount has a registration distance of 44mm which is actually relatively short for SLRs. A camera body with this distance and no mirror could mount Pentax, Nikon and of course Canon lenses. But the bigger question is specs and functionality. That is where the K-01 and Sigma endeavors fell down and I doubt that the Yongnuo will have anything close to Olympus or Panasonic functionality. The big thing going for it will be that it is cheap, but that probably won't be enough to sell many.
The mount distance is well over double that of m43 if this is based on the full size ef mount. It isn't just longer, it is also wider than necessary and would add bulk. EF-m might make sense, there's been some chatter that may be what they meant.

Adapted lenses for current m43 users quite often include Canon FD mount which wouldn't work. The same for Leica m mount and a host of other short flange length lenses.
11-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The mount distance is well over double that of m43 if this is based on the full size ef mount. It isn't just longer, it is also wider than necessary and would add bulk. EF-m might make sense, there's been some chatter that may be what they meant.

Adapted lenses for current m43 users quite often include Canon FD mount which wouldn't work. The same for Leica m mount and a host of other short flange length lenses.
I initially thought EF-M made a lot more sense, and maybe that's what they meant. But the photos of the camera have a 14mm lens mounted, and looking on the Yongnuo site it looks like they only make a 14mm for Nikon and Canon EF mount. Nothing for EF-M.

11-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I initially thought EF-M made a lot more sense, and maybe that's what they meant. But the photos of the camera have a 14mm lens mounted, and looking on the Yongnuo site it looks like they only make a 14mm for Nikon and Canon EF mount. Nothing for EF-M.

Good point. I'm at a loss to explain the logic in this design if true.
11-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Both Pentax and Sigma proved that a full DSLR mount on a mirrorles camera isnt really a recipe for success.
No, apparently that is what Pentax "learned" ..... but the real lesson is that MILC without EVF isn't a recipe for success.
11-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #172
Veteran Member

44mm is still just too much.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, apparently that is what Pentax "learned" ..... but the real lesson is that MILC without EVF isn't a recipe for success.
EVF was just one more thing. But mount is the biggest problem. Only way to design a proper mirrorless is from ground up. And thats why both Ninon and Canon went with new mounts even they have huge amount of modern lenses in F and EF mount.

11-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

44mm is still just too much.

EVF was just one more thing. But mount is the biggest problem. Only way to design a proper mirrorless is from ground up. And thats why both Ninon and Canon went with new mounts even they have huge amount of modern lenses in F and EF mount.
You can use an SLR mount on a mirrorless, maybe even make a good camera that way. The problem is that you have a roughly 50x60x60mm area that has to be unused dead space. An entire Fuji X-A5 is 117x68x40, which is less than twice the volume of the empty space in a K-mount mirrorless.

Using a DSLR mount means your pocketable size argument for mirrorless is out the window, so you have to make the camera very compelling in other ways. I suppose you could try selling a weight advantage, since the extra volume is just air.
11-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #174
Veteran Member

I didn't think most modern windows allowed through UV light, which is what is hypothesized as the trigger for this neurotransmitter. Certainly I could lie in front of my windows all day long and never get a tan. It doesn't mean it isn't beneficial to my health to see the sun through the windows, but I think there is probably more benefit to going outside.
UV B comes through and is the source of your warm floor and hot car when you leave it closed up in the summer. You only need about 15 minutes of sun to let your body create the needed vitamin D for the day so more than that may be overkill. And too much sun is bad and as Digitalis said, the risk of developing skin cancer is there. Been there got the scars on my once handsome mug!
11-04-2018, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
UV B comes through and is the source of your warm floor and hot car when you leave it closed up in the summer. You only need about 15 minutes of sun to let your body create the needed vitamin D for the day so more than that may be overkill. And too much sun is bad and as Digitalis said, the risk of developing skin cancer is there. Been there got the scars on my once handsome mug!
I once saw a Dr. Oz show that said the best way to increase testosterone levels ( which decrease as you age) was to sun tan your nuts for 20 minutes a day. Knowing I could do that indoors would have saved me a couple of arrests.

Just kidding, honest.
11-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You can use an SLR mount on a mirrorless, maybe even make a good camera that way. The problem is that you have a roughly 50x60x60mm area that has to be unused dead space. An entire Fuji X-A5 is 117x68x40, which is less than twice the volume of the empty space in a K-mount mirrorless.[

Using a DSLR mount means your pocketable size argument for mirrorless is out the window, so you have to make the camera very compelling in other ways. I suppose you could try selling a weight advantage, since the extra volume is just air.
Most MILC proponents don't talk about size or weight - they talk about the benefits they get in AF, burst speed, video, and EVF.
11-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most MILC proponents don't talk about size or weight - they talk about the benefits they get in AF, burst speed, video, and EVF.
Dunno about most, but for me its all about size and weight...
11-04-2018, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
sun tan your nuts for 20 minutes a day
Just get someone to put lotion on them first. That act of service will probably do more for your testosterone levels than exposing them to sunlight. Another example of how many of life's problems can be fixed with a small application of commonsense.

---------- Post added 11-04-18 at 01:48 PM ----------

Dunno about most, but for me its all about size and weight...
Are you referring to Norm's nuts, or something else.
11-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know.

Half of you act as though the problem is that the mount is too wide and half that it is too long. Probably the biggest issue is the limitation in lenses available for use with adapters. As far as size, you are talking about 2 cm distance in depth and 2 cm distance in width of the lens mount diameter. I know every centimeter counts, but honestly, I can't imagine this will make or break such a camera.

As I said before, the biggest questions will center around functionality. How good is the EVF? Is the auto focus decent? What sorts of helps will be available for manual focusing? What sort of video will it have and what will the still image quality be? Those and many others will determine if people buy this camera or choose to spend a bit more for one from an existing brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There would be big problems with infinity focus though. I don't think there will ever be a "universal" lens mount in the future.
Obviously it would require an adapter, but you wouldn't need to do surgery on your K mount lenses as there is no mirror to mess them up.
11-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Half of you act as though the problem is that the mount is too wide and half that it is too long. Probably the biggest issue is the limitation in lenses available for use with adapters. As far as size, you are talking about 2 cm distance in depth and 2 cm distance in width of the lens mount diameter. I know every centimeter counts, but honestly, I can't imagine this will make or break such a camera.
But it would break it. Why make such a slim body and then put an ugly lump on it. They might as well just made a DSLR and no one would complain.