Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Last year, the most popular MILC brand in Japan was Canon, who has a limited array of MILC lenses, but a substantial array of EF-mount DSLR lenses and a "full function" adapters allowing use of any EF-mount lens on any MILC camera. I'm not sure why you would expect any less from Pentax. My personal expectation is that any Pentax MILC will provide a K-mount.
The tough thing is that a lot of the best vintage K mount glass is screw driven and that means either a really expensive adapter or losing auto focus capability. Canon has it "easy" since all of their EOS lenses have in lens motors from the very beginning.

Anyway, I have little idea of what the future holds in general. I just know that Pentax has told us over and over that they aren't doing mirrorless. Obviously that can change at a moments notice, but for now they seem pretty committed at least for 2019, to churning out full frame lenses and k mount bodies.

12-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If convenience, most slender compactness, lowest overall weight, portability, most versatility of use, and pretty good quality, but- with much less control, will do the trick- just get the latest, greatest phone.

If someone has designated the Fuji system, especially the new XT-3 as the best-ever APS-C camera, just get one for that reason. Fuji has long made good cameras of various types, and that system has a few outstanding compact lenses. Nothing new about getting a particular camera to make use of a particular lens, regardless of what other equipment is owned.

I took a good look at the XT-3, and for me there is no comparison between it and my KP. Features- one of many being a built-in flash, controls- one of many being 1/3 stop shutter speed jump availability vs. full-stop, and other shooting adjustment capabilities, are way ahead with the KP. Then the lack of SR, and at a very comparable size, all present absolutely zero attraction for me regarding the Fuji alternative. But if that is what someone wants, that is what they want. As to size and weight (which are overall comparable), they must not forget to always have their tripod, or at least monopod along, if not only shooting in bright daylight.

---------- Post added 12-03-18 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The tough thing is that a lot of the best vintage K mount glass is screw driven and that means either a really expensive adapter or losing auto focus capability. Canon has it "easy" since all of their EOS lenses have in lens motors from the very beginning.

Anyway, I have little idea of what the future holds in general. I just know that Pentax has told us over and over that they aren't doing mirrorless. Obviously that can change at a moments notice, but for now they seem pretty committed at least for 2019, to churning out full frame lenses and k mount bodies.
Yes, Canon AF lenses were designed with built-in motors. This was done with the emergence of AF bodies, with new AF lenses for these bodies representing a complete change of systems. But their earlier MF lenses, which have no motor, are not at all compatible with Canon AF film or digital SLR bodies. Perhaps since, some kind of adaptor has come along to accommodate these older lenses. I've not kept track.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-03-2018 at 06:20 PM.
12-03-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #243
Inactive Account

Do more Japanese citizens use cameras or do fewer of them own smart phones {compared to the Western world, where most people who don't use an ILC 'get by' using a smart phone}
I don't have a scientifically based statistic but from what I see in Tokyo; A large number of people on street has a camera. A lot of FUJI and SONY mirrorless for both old and young people. A fair numbers of older guys with big canon FF + large lens. I a kind of feel like seeing more of Leica than Pentax right now. A lot more Pentax user during K3 to early K1 days. not so many now. And I for sure seeing more & more Mirrorless user in the last 3 years, especially SONY FF.

Good things about being in Japan; they still have a lot of electronic stores carry all Japanese brands and the latest models for us to physically test it. and Yes, I have been there multiple times to test FF mirrorless bodies of all brand. They are so far so good to me. I just wait for the market to be more mature.
and one sad thing about PENTAX booth in many stores I have been to, lately they look more and more like junk sale counter. I used to be able to hand on test K1 and all of its large new ff lenses everywhere. it is not the case right now. Most of them now are dusty non-flagship body and entry-level zoom. I will snap a photo of Pentax booth Vs SONY and other brands and post here the next time I go there. I guess it has a lot more to do with Pentax (unclear) marking direction? I don’t know.
Anyway, it looks very much like the gap touring the end of K5 days and no K3 announced yet.

"Take my words with a grain of salt"
12-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the Nikon FTZ converter provide a screw drive?

12-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #245
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the Nikon FTZ converter provide a screw drive?
I don’t think so.

I looked it up. There is no motor in the FTZ and no aperture feeler.
12-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
You don't need to wear glasses for an EVF if you're near sighted.Edit guess you could use a diopter attachment, duh.

That was rather rude and unhelpful. Diopter adjustment has little to do with an important viewfinder design metric called eyepoint*: Which is how far away you can hold the exit pupil of the viewfinder optics where the focusing screen and data LCD is visible, naturally this is curtailed when a viewfinder attachment is used like the O-Me53.

* Very important for those who wear glasses. On Canon #D and Nikon D# models it is almost always around 20mm~25mm range. On lower end models Eyepoint is sometimes completely omitted in the specifications but it is typically less than on the more expensive cameras.
12-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That was rather rude and unhelpful.
I'm sorry if that came across like that, the "duh" was for myself for forgetting diopters existed. But you're right about the eyepoint too. Again sorry about it coming off the wrong way.

12-04-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I don't have a scientifically based statistic but from what I see in Tokyo; A large number of people on street has a camera. A lot of FUJI and SONY mirrorless for both old and young people. A fair numbers of older guys with big canon FF + large lens. I a kind of feel like seeing more of Leica than Pentax right now. A lot more Pentax user during K3 to early K1 days. not so many now. And I for sure seeing more & more Mirrorless user in the last 3 years, especially SONY FF.

Good things about being in Japan; they still have a lot of electronic stores carry all Japanese brands and the latest models for us to physically test it. and Yes, I have been there multiple times to test FF mirrorless bodies of all brand. They are so far so good to me. I just wait for the market to be more mature.
and one sad thing about PENTAX booth in many stores I have been to, lately they look more and more like junk sale counter. I used to be able to hand on test K1 and all of its large new ff lenses everywhere. it is not the case right now. Most of them now are dusty non-flagship body and entry-level zoom. I will snap a photo of Pentax booth Vs SONY and other brands and post here the next time I go there. I guess it has a lot more to do with Pentax (unclear) marking direction? I don’t know.
Anyway, it looks very much like the gap touring the end of K5 days and no K3 announced yet.

"Take my words with a grain of salt"
Interesting. I was in Tokyo last year & I did get to play with all Pentax cameras, except the K-3II. This was at Bic Camera. Same in Nagoya. There was an employee that was pretty excited seeing me with Pentax gear too. They had just about every camera from all manufacturers on display.

I only saw one person in Kyoto with a Pentax body. I mainly saw smartphones being used when l was there. I did see a couple of Canon bodies, but not much photography gear in general being used. I guess things are changing.
12-06-2018, 01:31 PM - 3 Likes   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can relate to the Original Poster's concerns. I sold my Pentax DSLR - a K200D with a beautiful and relatively fast (f2.8) Tamrom zoom (17-50mm) - for similar reasons: it was just too heavy, lugging around on longer hiking trips. The series of smaller and generally excellent micro four thirds cameras I replaced it with (mainly Olympuses, later Lumixes) were and are soooo much lighter weight than my K200d - and the lenses I've bought, initially some tiny zooms and later some equally tiny primes, have been outstanding pieces of glass. In particular, the Leica-branded Panasonic-Leica primes I've bought have been easily the equivalent, in all the ways that matter to me, of any of the fine Pentax lenses I ever shot with (a whole raft of Takumars back in my analog days).

The only surprising part of the OP's original post, was the characterization of the Fujifilm XE-3 as a small and lightweight rig. I have friends who shoot with the Fuji EX cameras which, let it be said, are really great cameras and fun to shoot with but, until my recent acquisition of a larger mu4-3 body (a GX8, which I bought for its superior sensor and remarkable EVF, the best I've ever used), the Fujifilms all seemed massive and heavy to me next to my smaller micro four thirds bodies. Confession: I bought, still own, and will never sell one of the tiniest micro four thirds bodies, Panasonic's jewel-like GM1, a tiny camera which reminds me of my late, lamented (and beloved) tiny Rollei 35 compact film camera, which I carried everywhere with me, for years. If you want small and lightweight - and the ability to use fine and truly tiny primes and excellent smaller (pancake) zooms, the GM1 (and its sibling the GM5) are rather unique in recent digital photographic history.

But I'm digressing...back to the original post. I relate to it in many ways. But, surprise surprise, I have now returned happily to the Pentax fold - I just bought a KP body (thanks the the recent Black Friday sale madness, here in the States) --- and....damn! the camera body is barely larger (though slightly heavier) than my current best micro-four-thirds camera, the Lumix GX8. Unlike many other Pentaxians, I wouldn't characterize my KP as either tiny or lightweight - but its relatively compact dimensions and beautiful build quality (among the best of any camera I have ever owned, and not just the digital ones) - are almost addictively compelling for me.

It's also all about the glass. Different strokes for different folks. I don't shoot sports and I don't need long telephotos or zooms for birding or whatever, either. So my two most used lenses - the diminutive DA 21 Ltd ... and the even more astoundingly minuscule DA 40 micro pancake - when mounted on my KP ... literally put it in the same size-weight range as my (quite small) micro four thirds cameras.

And...damn....the images and files it produces....are bloody remarkable. Rich colors. Malleable RAW files. And a certain special je ne sais quoi that some Pentax lenses just seem to have. So - I don't know if the End of DSLR's is looming on the event horizon - but in my own life, DSLR's are vibrant and alive, and I gotta give credit where credit is due: it's all because of the KP. For me.
12-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #250
Pentaxian

I don't have the KP, buy back in 2009, I bought a Pentax Km (U.S. name K2000 I believe), at one time one of the smallest DSLR's. Think it has the same 10 something MP Sony sensor as my K10D. Over the years I picked up a 21mm Ltd., 40 Ltd. 70 Ltd...my three amigos, although I realize that appellation was designated for the 31,43 and 77.

It's been a good lightweight carry around combo...Km and these small lightweights....and a DSLR...
12-06-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
I can relate to the Original Poster's concerns. I sold my Pentax DSLR - a K200D with a beautiful and relatively fast (f2.8) Tamrom zoom (17-50mm) - for similar reasons: it was just too heavy, lugging around on longer hiking trips. The series of smaller and generally excellent micro four thirds cameras I replaced it with (mainly Olympuses, later Lumixes) were and are soooo much lighter weight than my K200d - and the lenses I've bought, initially some tiny zooms and later some equally tiny primes, have been outstanding pieces of glass. In particular, the Leica-branded Panasonic-Leica primes I've bought have been easily the equivalent, in all the ways that matter to me, of any of the fine Pentax lenses I ever shot with (a whole raft of Takumars back in my analog days).

The only surprising part of the OP's original post, was the characterization of the Fujifilm XE-3 as a small and lightweight rig. I have friends who shoot with the Fuji EX cameras which, let it be said, are really great cameras and fun to shoot with but, until my recent acquisition of a larger mu4-3 body (a GX8, which I bought for its superior sensor and remarkable EVF, the best I've ever used), the Fujifilms all seemed massive and heavy to me next to my smaller micro four thirds bodies. Confession: I bought, still own, and will never sell one of the tiniest micro four thirds bodies, Panasonic's jewel-like GM1, a tiny camera which reminds me of my late, lamented (and beloved) tiny Rollei 35 compact film camera, which I carried everywhere with me, for years. If you want small and lightweight - and the ability to use fine and truly tiny primes and excellent smaller (pancake) zooms, the GM1 (and its sibling the GM5) are rather unique in recent digital photographic history.

But I'm digressing...back to the original post. I relate to it in many ways. But, surprise surprise, I have now returned happily to the Pentax fold - I just bought a KP body (thanks the the recent Black Friday sale madness, here in the States) --- and....damn! the camera body is barely larger (though slightly heavier) than my current best micro-four-thirds camera, the Lumix GX8. Unlike many other Pentaxians, I wouldn't characterize my KP as either tiny or lightweight - but its relatively compact dimensions and beautiful build quality (among the best of any camera I have ever owned, and not just the digital ones) - are almost addictively compelling for me.

It's also all about the glass. Different strokes for different folks. I don't shoot sports and I don't need long telephotos or zooms for birding or whatever, either. So my two most used lenses - the diminutive DA 21 Ltd ... and the even more astoundingly minuscule DA 40 micro pancake - when mounted on my KP ... literally put it in the same size-weight range as my (quite small) micro four thirds cameras.

And...damn....the images and files it produces....are bloody remarkable. Rich colors. Malleable RAW files. And a certain special je ne sais quoi that some Pentax lenses just seem to have. So - I don't know if the End of DSLR's is looming on the event horizon - but in my own life, DSLR's are vibrant and alive, and I gotta give credit where credit is due: it's all because of the KP. For me.
QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
s also all about the glass. Different strokes for different folks. I don't shoot sports and I don't need long telephotos or zooms for birding or whatever, either. So my two most used lenses - the diminutive DA 21 Ltd ... and the even more astoundingly minuscule DA 40 micro pancake - when mounted on my KP ... literally put it in the same size-weight range as my (quite small) micro four thirds cameras.

Miguel: I feel the same way. The Kp with the 40mm XS pancake is fast and accurate (f2.8 out of that little guy). I also use the K-S2 with that prime 40mm and the WR retractable 18-50mm. The kit weighs less than most point and shoots. Plus on the KP that RE lens pops a bit more than on the K-S2. As a gag, I put the 40mm on my K-1 ii--it was funny but it took fairly pics as well....The small 70mm looks like a potential keeper too. I'm still waiting for my KP accessory bag from Adorama, so we'll see if it finally arrives...so let's keep snapping...
12-08-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bringing together a number of points.

- There is nothing that says that mirrorless cameras have to be small. Many are pretty decent sized.

- Pentax has a history of making small SLRs (Km, Kx, KS-1 all come to mind).

- It is useless to consider the size of a camera body without also considering the size of the lens you will be using with said camera body.

- The EVF versus OVF debate will never be solved. At best it is an uneasy truce, always waiting to flare up with both sides holding tightly to their belief in their preferred viewfinder.

- Both SLRs and Mirrorless cameras will continue to co-exist in the market for years to come.

- There is a real tendency to see the market through the lens of personal preference.

I really don't know what the future holds, but if more companies are leaving SLR development for mirrorless cameras, that may actual be an opening for growth for Pentax. Not everyone wants to go mirrorless and in fact, many are very pleased with old fashioned, traditional optical viewfinders -- particularly bright full frame ones.
12-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #253
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just bringing together a number of points.

- There is nothing that says that mirrorless cameras have to be small. Many are pretty decent sized.

- Pentax has a history of making small SLRs (Km, Kx, KS-1 all come to mind).

- It is useless to consider the size of a camera body without also considering the size of the lens you will be using with said camera body.

- The EVF versus OVF debate will never be solved. At best it is an uneasy truce, always waiting to flare up with both sides holding tightly to their belief in their preferred viewfinder.

- Both SLRs and Mirrorless cameras will continue to co-exist in the market for years to come.

- There is a real tendency to see the market through the lens of personal preference.

I really don't know what the future holds, but if more companies are leaving SLR development for mirrorless cameras, that may actual be an opening for growth for Pentax. Not everyone wants to go mirrorless and in fact, many are very pleased with old fashioned, traditional optical viewfinders -- particularly bright full frame ones.
Excellent summary!

Four door cars never killed two-door cars. Sub-compacts never killed full-sized cars. Minivans never killed sedans. SUVs never killed........ Just because some new subcategory of a product emerges and grows to be popular does not mean the extinction of all that came before.

Some people want small cameras and some want large ones. Some people want OVFs and some want EVFs. Some people want zooms and some want primes.
12-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #254
Pentaxian

I go even further. For me there or only three sizes and more detail differences are non-relevant:
  1. Camera with lens fits into shirt pocket --> Ricoh GR and other compacts; smartphones
  2. Camera forces me to carry a bag for it --> most ILC
    1. Poor quality no-go sub-segment: even though it is so large I have to carry a bag the grip is so small I cant safely hold it with a large lens in one hand. Or: The space between grip and lens mount is so small, it is very uncomfotable for the hand
  3. Camera forces me to carry a bag for it and lens/camera combo is so big it draws peoples attention and gets uncomfortable when dangling from a neckstrap after 20 minutes --> ILC with fast tele zooms and similar lenses
Size (1) is what I want in theory.
Size (2) (without the sub-segment) is what I tolerate, due to my preferences on a lot of features.

Size (3) is what I grudgingly tolerate in very specifc combos and only sometimes.

Anything which can reach (1) is (2), regardless of 2cm more or less in one dimension. Size (3) to me is poor size quality.
12-08-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Some people want small cameras and some want large ones. Some people want OVFs and some want EVFs. Some people want zooms and some want primes.
Two third of the people go out with both hands in their pockets, and ask you to share photos via online server. It's so convenient, no need to spend money to buy a camera, no need to carry it, just let the result come.