Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,143
As Adam recommended, I'd go with the K-1 MKII. You'll get an amazing tool for more than just basketball.

10-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,124
From what I've read, your Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is at least as slow to focus as is the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM but the difference is in weight, size, and handling. The DA* lens does not change its size nor does anything move externally either when zooming or using AF. Also from what I have read, if converted from SDM to screw-driven, the DA* 50-135mm gains faster AF.

I don't know from experience what the K-1 II is like for sports shooting, nor have I read anything regarding such by others.
10-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Its easy: The K-1 (II) is THE fine art (portrait, landscape, fashion) camera. Large file sizes, heavy, renders more threedimensional, fine tonal gradation (nice in B&W) ... The KP is a (unrecognized) reportage beast (with limited 21mm 3.2, ltd 20-40, the tamron 17-50 delivers stunning image quality too). Smaller file size, snappy (like K1 II) and much lighter (with the right lenses) ...


horses for courses!
10-27-2018, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,124
If it were me in your position, I'd go for the KP + battery grip + DA* 50-135mm for sports shooting. You can boost the ISO more if needed, compared to the K-3, to increase your shutter speed. Since you use spot AF a lot, it doesn't sound like you do much burst shooting, but instead control the focus point as you move the camera to follow the action. I do that a lot with my hockey shooting, and instead of using the rear AF button, I just use the shutter button half-press. But boy does that keep my finger busy! It works well enough for me. The only way focus tracking could be of use is if employing the full range of focus points, with continuous AF, and burst shooting. Then go over hundreds of shots resulting to sort out the good ones. Then you need the deeper buffer, in which case I'd suggest waiting for the arrival of the K-3 II successor. It might also have an improved AF design. It would be better to use just very short bursts anyway, then maybe the KP could handle that, but it would be nice if the camera had a limiter control for burst shooting- say up to 3, 5, or 8 shots.

It looks like you've done a good job so far, judging by the shots you've presented. The DA* 50-135mm, however, would give you a wider option at 50mm vs. 70mm.


Last edited by mikesbike; 10-27-2018 at 11:10 AM.
10-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #20
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 28
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
From what I've read, your Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is at least as slow to focus as is the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM but the difference is in weight, size, and handling. The DA* lens does not change its size nor does anything move externally either when zooming or using AF. Also from what I have read, if converted from SDM to screw-driven, the DA* 50-135mm gains faster AF. ...
The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is also completely internal focus and zoom so the lens never extends. I'll have to compare weight to the 50-135mm but the idea of changing the focus drive is interesting. Switching from SDM to screw-drive isn't something I would have through was possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If it were me in your position, I'd go for the KP + battery grip + DA* 50-135mm for sports shooting. You can boost the ISO more if needed, compared to the K-3, to increase your shutter speed. Since you use spot AF a lot, it doesn't sound like you do much burst shooting, but instead control the focus point as you move the camera to follow the action. I do that a lot with my hockey shooting, and instead of using the rear AF button, I just use the shutter button half-press. But boy does that keep my finger busy! It works well enough for me. The only way focus tracking could be of use is if employing the full range of focus points, with continuous AF, and burst shooting. Then go over hundreds of shots resulting to sort out the good ones. Then you need the deeper buffer, in which case I'd suggest waiting for the arrival of the K-3 II successor. It might also have an improved AF design. It would be better to use just very short bursts anyway, then maybe the KP could handle that, but it would be nice if the camera had a limiter control for burst shooting- say up to 3, 5, or 8 shots.

It looks like you've done a good job so far, judging by the shots you've presented. The DA* 50-135mm, however, would give you a wider option at 50mm vs. 70mm.
Your right, I'm not using focus tracking since it's spot focus. Actually, I use burst mode frequently for basketball (5 or 6 shots). Lots of situations where actions might happen... So just focus on a specific player, hold the shudder down, and hope for the best. I throw away 2/3 (or more) of my photos due to focus issues, boring, or other issues.

Waiting for the K3 II successor isn't out of the question. I have the itch to get a second body but the K3 II is still kicking so it's not a necessity. Not sure if my rational side will win.
10-29-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
A note regarding the DA*50-135mm: it has outstanding image quality (sharpness, colours, bokeh, rendering) but is very, very slow to focus. I wouldn't consider it for any kind of fast action photography.
Ditto. My 50-135 hunted a lot.
I'm a photojournalist and shoot sports with a K-3 and have a K-S2 for a second camera just in case, which means I have two battery sizes in my bag and two different chargers on my desk. When I'm not shooting sports, I will leave the K-S2 in the office and take the K-01 because it shares the same battery as the K-3. I would go with a K-1/K-3 combo.
10-30-2018, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,203
Re: 50-135 slow

There are 4 lenses (16-50, 50-135, 200, 300) that can be converted to screw drive from sdm. All are DA* lenses and came out during the introduction of SDM technology to Pentax. They are designed to work in screw drive (unmodified) when on older bodies that lack SDM.

One not well known fact is that sometimes the SDM will function but be failing without appearing to slow down. The lens can hunt and even fail to lock on in this situation. Converting a lens to screwdrive is a good option to try if it is underperforming in focus accuracy, speed, locking, etc. I only found this out when two customers experiences issues sent me lenses in desperation. Both were transformed despite neither having failed. On the other hand, a lens with SDM working correctly, doesn't seem to improve when converted.

The 50-135 isn't a speed demon even converted but it is adequate for most of my needs. Your mileage may vary...
10-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,665
Those are nice looking pictures, the K-1 would be nice, but I'd still wait for the K-3 replacement. Shooting my small birds, lots of action with those guys, I use my K-1 as long as I can stand it, then switch back tot eh K-3, and get some work done.

I had 1 year coaching a girls team. It was way too much drama for me. I went back to the boys the next year.

10-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #24
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,235
On a "modern" camera {such as KP}. how does the DA* 50-135mm lens compare to the DA 55-300mm PLM on focusing speed? Image quality is important only if you get the photo.
10-30-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,665
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
On a "modern" camera {such as KP}. how does the DA* 50-135mm lens compare to the DA 55-300mm PLM on focusing speed? Image quality is important only if you get the photo.
There are two elements to focusing speed. The amount of light needed to focus for cameras I believe for Pentax is optimized for ƒ2.8, The second factor is how fast the lens motor is. ( A third would be the amount of time needed for the AF to lock on.) The 50-135 wins on the aperture, and loses on the speed of the AF assembly.

The 55-300 PLM has an extremely fast motor, but at times it is crippled by not letting in enough light to lock focus. And in those circumstances, with no quick shot, it's pretty much a paper weight attached to the end of the camera. So when it works, it's the best. And when it doesn't work, it's great source of frustration.

Either of these lenses can outperform the other in the right circumstances.
10-30-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,203
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
On a "modern" camera {such as KP}. how does the DA* 50-135mm lens compare to the DA 55-300mm PLM on focusing speed? Image quality is important only if you get the photo.
I can't say having never used the PLM lens but the reports I have seen indicate the PLM is much faster assuming enough light to focus adequately.
10-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 695
The Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO HSM II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database might be a good option instead, If you can find one,
10-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,203
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I have shot that lens. I never was in love and didn't find it that much faster than the 50-135.
10-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #29
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,230
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I can't say having never used the PLM lens but the reports I have seen indicate the PLM is much faster assuming enough light to focus adequately.
As I own both the lenses discussed and use them on a KP I can say that Both Norm and Uncle Vanya are correct. I have had times where I wished that I had the 50-135 in my bag due to poor lighting when I had the PLM mounted, and other times when I needed the focus for tracking a faster moving critter, I was wishing I had the PLM rather than the 50-135 mounted.
I love both of the lenses though as they are both very capable as long as you know the limitations of each.
11-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #30
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 28
Original Poster
Thanks for all the thoughts. Looks like my decision to wait was made for me...

My point-n-shoot Panasonic has a failing zoom switch (I bought it refurbished). Average repair is $182 + $7 shipping (90 warranty on zoom switch only). Or buy the same camera new for $250. Or the current model for $450. Or a Panasonic gx85 for a little more. Or, well, I better stop there or else I'll end up with a K-1 II "point-n-shoot". So I have a gx85 that'll I'll have to learn better since I never fully learned my last Panasonic (exact same interface, warts and all). Personally, the Panasonic cameras take good photos / videos but it makes my wife's Canon interface look nice (I think Pentax still has the best UI even if it changes a little between cameras). Of course my opinion could change once I learn the interface better...

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-200mm, camera, dslr, k1, k1 mark, kp, kp or k1, lenses, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
K1 to K1 Mark II or not II Kingman Pentax K-1 39 03-07-2019 10:09 PM
Pentax K1 or Pentax K1 Mark ii giselag Pentax K-1 15 01-04-2019 01:36 PM
Mark I vs Mark II ISO Comparison Plus Files SirTomster Pentax K-1 64 07-31-2018 01:06 PM
K-3 upgrade to "Mark I" or Mark II neal_grillot Pentax K-1 20 06-01-2018 02:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top