Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

Dark spot on photos at the same location even if I change lenses - Pentax-KS2

Hello,

I have a Pentax K-S2 camera. I was wondering if anyone has seen an issue where a dark spot is on on the same location on every photo. Please see image attached. I see this dark spot at the same location even if I change lenses.
Sunday I tried the dust removal and sensor clean up and I think It has gone now, but I have not used the camera that much since the weekend so I figure I will ask here for thoughts and advice.

Thank you,

Nick

Attached Images

10-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dirt on the sensor is the most likely culprit.
10-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dust bunny. Clean the sensor.
10-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dirt or a dried water spot on the sensor would be my guess. That happened to me one time when, I without thinking, changed lenses when in live view while taking pictures of a waterfall.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 10-30-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typos
10-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your rocket blower is your friend!
(use sensor clean function to raise the mirror)
10-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

get the camera and shoot some more, see if you've managed to clear it...
10-30-2018, 08:08 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To test for dust spots go outside and shoot a clear blue sky with an aperture setting of f/16 or f/22. This will show any / all dust spots quickly.

10-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickTent Quote
...I tried the dust removal and sensor clean up and I think It has gone now...
Fuzzy spots like that are almost always dust on the sensor. Dust on a lens will be blurred so much that you'll rarely notice it.

Some dust spots can be stubborn. Buy a "rocket blower" for such occasions. Never use canned air, air compressor, or your breath to try cleaning a sensor; too much risk of adding liquid spots that are much tougher to remove.
10-30-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AND DON'T USE A LENS CLEANING BRUSH! You will damage the sensor.

There is a variety of sensor cleaning kits (e.g. Pentax O-ICK1) available if the rocket blower doesn't work. Or you can get it done professionally (not cheap).
10-30-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickTent Quote
Sunday I tried the dust removal and sensor clean up and I think It has gone now
I assume you mean the Dust Removal setting (settings menu 4). That's the clunk you get when you start up or shut down the camera. Worth leaving it on so it operates each time.

But remember that the dust bunny will still be floating around in the mirror box, so sooner or later it will probably be back on the sensor. As people have said, you should definitely get a rocket blower like this: https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI?tag=pentaxforums-20& To use it, you use the Sensor Cleaning in setting menu 4. The procedure is described in the camera's manual at p.120. You should do this as soon as you detect a spot on the sensor because over time dust motes tend to stick to the sensor due to moisture in the air.

Most of the time that works. If it doesn't you need to use a gel stick like the one Paul mentioned or wet cleaning (with specially designed swabs and solution). Those procedures require care because you can scratch the coating on the sensor. Lots of threads about how to do this.

Last edited by Des; 10-30-2018 at 06:47 PM.