Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I was looking at old K-7 footage and began thinking

I know this topic has been beaten to death but it still baffles me how Ricoh doesn't use features it already has built into the camera. Looking at old video footage from the K-7 the mechanical stabilization from it was great, and that was almost 10 years ago. I'd go as far to say that the average video from a k-7 will look way better because of it than modern Pentax video and that's just depressing.

yada yada noise yada yada

Makes me want to pick up a k-7 for cheap to have some fun.

10-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder what happened with this: Ricoh Imaging Puts on a Big Show at CP+ 2017 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

"According to Ricoh Imaging representatives, video improvements have been made to the KP, and soon both the KP and K-1 will have access to sensor-shift stabilization in video via a firmware update."
10-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I wonder what happened with this: Ricoh Imaging Puts on a Big Show at CP+ 2017 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

"According to Ricoh Imaging representatives, video improvements have been made to the KP, and soon both the KP and K-1 will have access to sensor-shift stabilization in video via a firmware update."
Would be incredibly welcome. Not sure why they haven't done it yet. Probably "noise" problems

But then again the K-01 was supposed to get astrotracer compatibility via a firmware update and we can see how well that went.
10-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm relying on my memory (which is never a good thing to do - for me, at least ) but I'm sure there have been comments in other more recent interviews that suggested the mechnical stabilisation for video wasn't coming after all... which is a shame for those interested in video, though given other comments that we often see, I wonder if that alone would be enough to keep folks interested in video on Pentax? I'm not a video guy, so I can't really comment...

10-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm relying on my memory (which is never a good thing to do - for me, at least ) but I'm sure there have been comments in other more recent interviews that suggested the mechnical stabilisation wasn't coming after all...
That's such a joke. It's so easy to implement too.
10-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That's such a joke. It's so easy to implement too.
Well, I think that's a little strong. Ricoh has its reasons, I'm sure. We can believe them or not, but... you know...
10-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
... but it still baffles me how Ricoh doesn't use features it already has built into the camera.
I get the same feeling when I pick up my K-70 in a rush and find I've just managed to change the Drive Mode settings because there's nowhere to put anything other than the tip of my right thumb on the back of the camera ... never had this problem with my previous Pentax cameras

10-30-2018, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I get the same feeling when I pick up my K-70 in a rush and find I've just managed to change the Drive Mode settings because there's nowhere to put anything other than the tip of my right thumb on the back of the camera ... never had this problem with my previous Pentax cameras
I think if you change C18, this will prevent the 4-way pad from accessing the sub-menus unless you press and hold OK first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2018, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think if you change C18, this will prevent the 4-way pad from accessing the sub-menus unless you press and hold OK first.
HERO Reply !!

I'd have NEVER guessed from the cryptic description in the manual!

Thank you
11-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
please tell me this works on the K-3ii also.....
*will check when i get home*
11-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
please tell me this works on the K-3ii also.....
*will check when i get home*
I'm actually not sure about that, but I think that the feature debuted on the K-1, so it might only be on >= 2016 bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: