Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

Upgrade to my K5 for low light gig photography

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade from my K5. The reason is that friends and I put bands on in our town and my camera struggles with the low light. I use a 50mm lens.
These are my problems:
The auto-focus struggles, so I often have to shoot manual focus.
The low light means I'm constantly juggling between pushing the ISO (but not too much), low aperture (which can be great but makes the focus easy to get wrong) and speed, which with fast-moving musicians is very difficult. Lets just say that a lot of shots go straight to the bin.

I'd be really interested to hear what cameras you use in similar circumstances and what recommendations you have. I'd be interested in both money-is-no-object (ambition's no bad thing), and reasonably-priced recommendations.
I've uploaded an example from a recent gig.
Thank you!
Sarah

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-31-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

lots of folks here willing to give advice

especially on how you should spend your money

have you discovered the tool which allows you to compare side by side various camera bodies?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-5+I...c3=Pentax+K-70

I just chose the K 3 and K 70 to show you how it works

you say you use a 50mm, which one, what is the maximum aperture, perhaps you want to look at similar lenses that might be " faster ":

Lenses between 39mm and 65mm | PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

be sure to check out both the " user reviews " as well as any " In Depth Reviews " of the cameras and lenses

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-31-2018 at 04:46 AM.
10-31-2018, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have similar problems with my K5 from time to time and I'm planning on moving to K1II in near future. It should resolve these problems. Cheaper possibilities would be K1, KP or K70. Any of the new generation of bodies should be huge step forward. I dropped K3 out due to high ISO performance.
10-31-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 has real high iso benefits over the K-5.

10-31-2018, 04:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums

lots of folks here willing to give advice

especially on how you should spend your money

have you discovered the tool which allows you to compare side by side various camera bodies?

Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I just chose the K 3 and K 70 to show you how it works

you say you use a 50mm, which one, what is the maximum aperture, perhaps you want to look at similar lenses that might be " faster ":

be sure to check out both the " user reviews " as well as any " In Depth Reviews " of the cameras and lenses
Hello, thank you for your amazingly quick reply and tips!
I'll admit that I get confused by the long lists of numbers and tech specs. I need to see photos in order to compare, but very few photo comparisons seem to deal with the sorts of challenges I get; portrait shots will generally be well lit, and low-light shots will generally be urban with static buildings. This is why I'm reaching out to people with experience.
The lens I use for these shots is a Pentax-DA 1:1.8 50mm
10-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The K-1 has real high iso benefits over the K-5.
Have you got experience of using the K1 with non-full frame lenses?
10-31-2018, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Money no object? Get a K1 II. The big sensor means better performance in low light. Something to do with bigger pixels, I think.

On a lower budget? Get a KP. That super high ISO looks good from where I am sitting.

Looking for value? Get a lightly used K3. The Mark I is fine for your intended application. Pixel shifting, astro tracing and GPS location are of no use when shooting concerts.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with any of the above cameras. What I can say is that a Kx does surprisingly well in low light, especially if you have a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4. That said, your K5 is of similar vintage, so I am not helping. Also, the lenses mentioned are manual focus, so I am not helping.

I can also add that my Samsung NX1 with 16-50mm f/2-2.8 and 50-150mm f/2.8 lenses is just awesome in low light. But recommending a system from a dead brand is not helping either. Sorry I can't be of more help.

10-31-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SarahF Quote
no, I use a K 3 and K 3 II

but have you seen this stuff?

Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-...#ixzz5VW9yKeDT

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-...tml#post285992

PentaxForums.com → Photography → Photographic Technique → Setting up K5ii in low light

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/378096-general...#ixzz5VVtooG1H

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-31-2018 at 07:09 AM.
10-31-2018, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$$$$$$ K-1(MK II?), DFA 50mm f1.4

$$$ KP, DA 55 f1.4

$$ K70, existing DA 50 F1.8

Edit: all of the lenses work on all of the bodies. The corner performance of the DA lenses will be less than perfect on the k-1.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-31-2018 at 06:47 AM.
10-31-2018, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Most primes except wide angle DA lenses will work fine on Full frame. From the DA 35mm and higher. (except maybe the DA 35mm Macro lens).

Zooms, especially those with wide angle for DA will have circular vignetting at the wide end.
10-31-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 and DA lens compatibility - PentaxForums.com

This thread above lists other threads that should help.
10-31-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some more info than the OP ( or anyone else ) may want:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
10-31-2018, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K-5 has been shown as having slightly better performance at higher ISO compared to the K-3, and slightly better dynamic range. The current champions for higher ISO performance are the K-1 and K-1 II, the KP, and the K-70. Between the two APS-C models, the KP has the more advanced SR, AF (auto-focus), which should help in your situation, and better build quality more in line with your K-5. Its exceptional higher ISO performance (lower noise with better preservation of sharpness) and IQ (image quality) is close to that of the FF K-1 and outstanding for an APS-C model. In your sample photo, it seems you'd need a KP to up your ISO even higher than 3200 to get a higher shutter speed than 1/60 sec, and for its better SR, for consistently sharper results.

With the more expensive, larger, and heavier K-1, a FF (Full Frame) camera, your very good DA 50mm f/1.8 would need to be replaced with a lens made for FF use, and also a longer focal length than 50mm (like the FA 77mm Limited) to give you the same image size in your shot from the same distance. This lens would be far more costly.

What you are essentially dealing with is shooting action subjects under low-light circumstances- a challenge for any equipment and for any photographer! In my opinion, the KP is your best bet. Resulting IQ is exceptionally fine even right out of the camera. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for better fine detail in your images. I've long had the K-5, K-5 IIs, and now have the KP and I've found it to be a great camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-31-2018 at 09:03 AM.
10-31-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

K-1 (mark 1 or 2) offers much improved AF and high ISO compared to the K-5. ISO 6400 on my K-1 is roughly equivalent to 1600 on my K-5, allowing you to get a 4x faster shutter speed for the same amount of noise.

The budget camera choice is the K-70. It's better than the K-3 series for low light.

Your existing DA 50 f1.8 will work with either camera. The K-1 larger sensor will give darker corners but you can crop if needed. New DFA 50 f1.4 would be a lens upgrade, but if you don't do large prints I don't think it will be very significant.
10-31-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums
....____________________

From the photo EXIF = Smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8

Also, the K-70 is cheaper than the alternative (KP) by far and would be a step up in low light shooting over the K-5. I find my K-5 does better in low light than my K-3 so would not recommend moving to the K-3 if you are primarily interested in low light shooting. Ultimately, a K-30 used is around $500, the KP $750 or so, and a K-1 is $1500 or so. The choice would be a simple one for me. Good luck.