Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #166
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Using the in-camera 2-sec delay which locks the mirror up at the start of the cycle. Very handy for astro work where any vibration is unwanted. Probably an interaction between the app interval timing and the in-camera 2-sec delay.- Jack
I took a look at this and couldn't find any issues that would cause the program to hang. The only current caveat is that in the absence of "capture complete" events from the camera (which seems to be norm rather than the exception in USB mode), the program will wait 15 seconds plus the shutter speed before checking to see if the camera is ready for the next shot. Did yours still not do anything after that time?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, repeatable hang. Changing to single frame with no delay results in all frames taken and no hang. I will investigate further on my end. - Jack
12-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, just finished another round of testing. Glad I did since I had misremembered some of what was happening. The queue still stops one short of the intended number of frames, but it only hangs when I abort the queue. And it doesn't matter if I set the 2-second delay or just go to no delay, still only get (queue - 1) number of frames. No change if I set it to transfer images immediately or wait until after the queue is finished. Obviously, this bug means that transferring immediately is the only way to ensure you get your images.

Which leads me to a couple of feature requests:

1) There is ample room in the queue display to add a leading column to enumerate the number of the frames in the queue. It would help the user to see the number of frames in the queue at a glance rather than having to start at the top and mouse-click down the queue while counting.

2) Which leads me to the next one: could we please have the cursor be active in the queue display? As it is now, you can only navigate through the queue with the mouse.

The number of frames bug is not a showstopper. I just add one to the required image queue. However, having to ctrl-c to get out of the hang after aborting the queue is annoying.

Jack
12-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #169
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Could you please post the exact settings you used, along with the exact camera settings for the entire queue?

Since I wasn't able to reproduce this, I'm thinking it's either a problem with the USB driver part of the program, or perhaps something specific to linux.

Adding a count shouldn't be a problem while we're at it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your reply twigged my memory that I had a fight with getting a usb 2.0 wireless wifi adapter working on a usb 3.0 controller a while back. The only thing that made it work was to connect it to a USB 2.0 port. I think what is happening here is the opposite where the latest usb driver is mishandling a v2 port. Usb v2 has lots of buggy code out there so we can't rely on Pentax to have done everything right.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu has decided to rely on the newer xhci_hcd driver to handle all existing usb connections instead of the older ehci_hcd for usb 2.0. And to add insult to injury, they built it into the kernel so I can't blacklist the xhci driver so it would have to use ehci. Some bioses allow you to turn off usb3 which turns the ports into usb2 but this Lenovo bios is next to useless and lacks this option. I will have to hunt through my old computer junk cupboard to see if I can find an old external usb hub I can connect to the laptop to see if that triggers and loads the usb2 driver.

I will also load up your app on my other devices to see if I can get a proper usb connection. But I suspect that you are right and it is a usb driver problem. Likely the driver is turning off the port for some dumb reason. Will update after i have a play around.

Jack
12-13-2018, 02:03 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. Tried it on my old HP laptop and sure enough, it loaded up the older ehci driver to handle the usb port. This allowed me to successfully work through a 10-shot queue. But... I could not download any files, no matter if I had selected to transfer immediately or after the queue finished. I assume the port is timing out. It is an older laptop so would be handling things that much slower.

Is there anyway to increase the usb timeouts in the sdk? That might solve all the problems. As it is now, I will fall back to using the newer laptop with the newer usb driver which at least has no problem transferring files which is the name of the game.

Jack
12-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #172

The last picture problem isn't new !
post #121 pic2 //no delay

think it's a counter problem above round about 20 pic's

p.s. unix_USB and Raspberry over WiFi(usbip) works fine and stable .!!!

but windows 10 usbip support ....
12-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hit the counter problem at any number of frames greater than three. Seems to be driver specific problems.

01-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #174

Hello,

The chinese factory which produce the WIFI transmitter CAMFI and CAMFI PRO has just announced the disponibility of his new version CAMFI PRO PLUS transmitter.
It act as a relay between a tethering software (like capure one or lightroom or canon eos downloader and perhaps other software like this) runing on a computer (windows or mac).
Each camera body which could be used throug usb cable should become usable through wifi ... the CAMFI PRO PLUS sent the request from the tethering software, receive the answer from the body and transmit them to the tethering software as if it would come from the usb port.

here the link to CAMFI :

CamFi Pro Plus - Professional wireless tethering solution for 500+ cameras

Could be interesting for camera without wifi integrated in their body

An update from CAMFI PRO to CAMFI PRO PLUS (probably a software which permits the upgrade of the firmware) will be available from 18.01.2019 for the ones (like me) which have already a CAMFI PRO transmitter.

I hope it will works with "transmitter 2" or with the developed in java "TETHER SOFT "

---------- Post added 01-10-19 at 06:52 AM ----------

I forgot to says that, after upgrade of the firmware, the transmitter will be usable in 2 modes :
- as now, with the tethering software developed by CAMFI (for some NIKON, CANON and SONY camera)
- as a relay between other tethering software (C1, Lightroom, ...)
01-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #175
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
Hello,

The chinese factory which produce the WIFI transmitter CAMFI and CAMFI PRO has just announced the disponibility of his new version CAMFI PRO PLUS transmitter.
It act as a relay between a tethering software (like capure one or lightroom or canon eos downloader and perhaps other software like this) runing on a computer (windows or mac).
Each camera body which could be used throug usb cable should become usable through wifi ... the CAMFI PRO PLUS sent the request from the tethering software, receive the answer from the body and transmit them to the tethering software as if it would come from the usb port.

here the link to CAMFI :

CamFi Pro Plus - Professional wireless tethering solution for 500+ cameras

Could be interesting for camera without wifi integrated in their body

An update from CAMFI PRO to CAMFI PRO PLUS (probably a software which permits the upgrade of the firmware) will be available from 18.01.2019 for the ones (like me) which have already a CAMFI PRO transmitter.

I hope it will works with "transmitter 2" or with the developed in java "TETHER SOFT "

---------- Post added 01-10-19 at 06:52 AM ----------

I forgot to says that, after upgrade of the firmware, the transmitter will be usable in 2 modes :
- as now, with the tethering software developed by CAMFI (for some NIKON, CANON and SONY camera)
- as a relay between other tethering software (C1, Lightroom, ...)
Cool product, but according to their web site, none of the recent models (after the K-3 II) are supported, which are the only models that support full USB tethering. At $300 and with limited compatibility, it misses the mark IMO (few casual users are willing to consider IT2 at $199 to begin with).

On the other hand, if they offered an end-to-end solution, that would be another story, though probably still a tough sell alongside all of the free options out there.

Adam

01-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #176

Hello,
I have upgraded my CAMFI PRO to CAMFI PRO PLUS thursday.
There was some problems for the camera to be recognized ... i have taken contact with CAMFI's support and they send me another software. Thanks for their reactive answer.
Now, the camfi pro plus sent and receive the data to/from the camera. This camera is recognized as it was put on the usb port with a cable, but there is no cable ... only WIFI
So I can shoot in tethered mode over wifi with Image Transmitter 2 (download very quick of raw files), but also with the "PF_Wifi_Usb_Tether " (take much times to download and must choose USB mode of the PF_Wifi_Usb_Tether" software) .
see enclose pictures

So very happy to be able to shoot in wifi tethered mode with the 645Z.

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 02:21 PM ----------

I forgot to say that it works very well with my NIKON D800 et D850, CANON EOS6D ... tested with Lightroom, with capture one and with DigicamControl ...

Pentax 645Z was not in the list of compatible cameras, but it works .... i think that the producer of Camfi has not the ability to test all available camera and probably indicate only the ones he has personnaly tested or that users have said that it works.
Attached Images

07-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did this project ever go Android?
And quickly skimming through it, a little confused as to whether it works via wifi, usb, or both??

Recently bought a KP, and my main need is to trigger the shutter without touching the camera while in tripod mount mode. Upgraded from a K50 to KP. Had a Vello(JJC?) pistol grip with 2.5mm rca cable, but the camera end does not fit the KP - ? needs 3.5mm plug, I think?

Am trying to purchase a cable, but meanwhile, looking to use my android smart phone. Have confirmed I can trigger the shutter using the official Ricoh Image Sync app in the (android) play store, but wondering if there are any other alternatives?

Have done a few searches throughout the forum, but maybe someone with more experience can save me time with some to-the-point suggestions?

Is it recommended to use both mirror lock and timer delay for extreme close-up macro and telephoto work, and is this possible with any app - either doing so manually before starting the app, or doing it from within the app?

Only got back into photography in October 2018 with a second-hand K50, after 35yrs of leaving my old film gear (Pentax ME and assorted lens) in an aluminum camera case!!, so still trying to build up an overall mental picture of the ins and outs of digital photography.

Not totally illiterate digitally: have used a universal remote andoid app which has allowed me to to control my hifi gear, and even control playing of chosen albums/tracks for my blu-ray player to play through my receiver. (but not into programming).

It may well be I am wasting everyone's time here by not giving the Ricoh app a full tryout - if so, am quite happy for someone to tell me so, and to tell me to just get on with it!!!

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
07-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
And quickly skimming through it, a little confused as to whether it works via wifi, usb, or both??

Recently bought a KP, and my main need is to trigger the shutter without touching the camera while in tripod mount mode. Upgraded from a K50 to KP. Had a Vello(JJC?) pistol grip with 2.5mm rca cable, but the camera end does not fit the KP - ? needs 3.5mm plug, I think?

Am trying to purchase a cable, but meanwhile, looking to use my android smart phone. Have confirmed I can trigger the shutter using the official Ricoh Image Sync app in the (android) play store, but wondering if there are any other alternatives?

Have done a few searches throughout the forum, but maybe someone with more experience can save me time with some to-the-point suggestions?

Is it recommended to use both mirror lock and timer delay for extreme close-up macro and telephoto work, and is this possible with any app - either doing so manually before starting the app, or doing it from within the app?

Only got back into photography in October 2018 with a second-hand K50, after 35yrs of leaving my old film gear (Pentax ME and assorted lens) in an aluminum camera case!!, so still trying to build up an overall mental picture of the ins and outs of digital photography.

Not totally illiterate digitally: have used a universal remote andoid app which has allowed me to to control my hifi gear, and even control playing of chosen albums/tracks for my blu-ray player to play through my receiver. (but not into programming).

It may well be I am wasting everyone's time here by not giving the Ricoh app a full tryout - if so, am quite happy for someone to tell me so, and to tell me to just get on with it!!!

May want to give this a look!

WiFi Commander for PENTAX v 1.5 is online! Discover the new features! - PentaxForums.com
07-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
  1. Did this project ever go Android?
  2. And quickly skimming through it, a little confused as to whether it works via wifi, usb, or both??
  3. Have confirmed I can trigger the shutter using the official Ricoh Image Sync app in the (android) play store, but wondering if there are any other alternatives?
  4. Have done a few searches throughout the forum, but maybe someone with more experience can save me time with some to-the-point suggestions?
  5. It may well be I am wasting everyone's time here by not giving the Ricoh app a full tryout - if so, am quite happy for someone to tell me so, and to tell me to just get on with it!!!
I wonder why this thread isn't known:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
07-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #180
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

The program in this thread works over wifi and usb, the latter being faster.

For android, definitely go with the image sync app, as it's the most complete offering at the moment (though not without its limitations).

I'd recommend that you post the remaining technique-related questions in a separate thread