Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 04:24 PM   #226
mir
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tried pktriggercord (Download from source from git and build the Debian package). Works like a charm. You can remotely control basically everything trough the program. One strange thing was that it was not able to detect the lens even though exiftool had no problem detecting it. I guess we all can agree on that smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II is not an uncommon lens? :-)

---------- Post added 01-12-22 at 04:58 PM ----------

I am correct to assume your software only supports cameras which have support for PTP?

gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model Port
----------------------------------------------------------
Pentax K10D usbscsi:/dev/sg9

gphoto2 --summary
Camera summary:
Pentax K DSLR capture driver.
Using code from pktriggercord by Andras Salamon.
Collected Status Information:
current iso : 1600
current shutter speed : 1/15
camera max shutter speed : 0/0
current aperture : 6,7
lens max aperture : 27,0
lens min aperture : 4,0
set shutter speed : 1/125
set aperture : 6,7
fixed iso : 0
auto iso : 0-0
jpeg quality : 3
jpeg resolution : 10M
jpeg image tone : Bright
jpeg saturation : 3
jpeg contrast : 3
jpeg sharpness : 3
jpeg hue : 0
zoom : 30,63 mm
focus : 0
color space : sRGB
image format : RAW
raw format : DNG
light meter flags : 288
ec : 0,00
custom ev steps : 1/2 EV steps
custom sensitivity steps : 1 EV steps
exposure mode : 4
scene mode : NONE
user mode flag : 0
ae metering mode : Multi
af mode : MF
af point select : Select
selected af point : bottommiddle
focused af point : none
drive mode : Single
auto bracket mode : off
auto bracket picture count : 0
auto bracket picture counter : 0
auto bracket ev : unknown
shake reduction : off
white balance mode : Auto
white balance adjust : M7B7
flash mode : Manual
flash exposure compensation : 0,00
manual mode ev : 0,00
lens : M-42 or No Lens
battery : 0,00V 0,00V 0,00V 0,00V
buffer mask : 0000000000000000

01-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mir Quote
I my book that means the code is dead so don't expect to see more commits to that which leaves you with two options: Take over the development if this is possible or find something else to use. If you are on a Debian based Linux distro you have access to the C library for the project:
apt show libpktriggercord0
Package: libpktriggercord0
Version: 0.85.1-2
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Source: libpktriggercord
Maintainer: Debian Astronomy Team <debian-astro-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 248 kB
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.33)
Homepage: GitHub - indilib/indi-3rdparty: INDI 3rd Party drivers repository
Download-Size: 49,6 kB
APT-Sources: mirrors.dotsrc.org unstable/main amd64 Packages
Description: library for Pentax cameras in MSC mode
This package contains a library to control Pentax cameras in MSC mode.A
After one connects the camera to the PC with the USB cable, one can control
the camera from the computer. One can read status information, one can change
several settings, and one can take pictures. The pictures are stored in the
camera's buffer and can be downloaded to the PC. Pictures are not written on
the SD card of the camera.
It’s not quite dead yet. What you have found is the code for the Indi/Ekos Pentax driver, it’s used for astrophotography.
Andas Salamon is maintaining the original pktriggercord, check his web page right here: https://pktriggercord.melda.info/

I have been in contact with Andras twice the last couple of years, doing some testing with my K-70 camera, I wanted to assist fixing a couple of bugs in the Indi driver.
You can find “DrawsACircle” mentioned in the source code

Nice to see a fellow Dane here
02-09-2022, 05:01 AM   #228

Photos: Gallery
SDK questions and also macOS support

Hi Adam, thanks for pointing me to this thread. Impressive work!

I just browsed thru this entire thread (for the 1st time - I had not realized the developments in recent years, I somehow still assumed pgtriggercord would be the only way for remote control, apart from the clumsy web browser-over-Wifi solution, such as the one via the Pentax FLUcard)

A comment for macOS support: Instead of using the ".sh" extension you could use the ".command" extension. That will launch the macOS Terminal.app and execute the script automatically. No need for "chmod +x".

And a question: The official SDKs suggest that the "iOS" SDK, based on Swift, is only for Wi-Fi and won't run on macOS, whereas the C++ SDK only runs on desktop systems but doesn't do Wi-Fi. How did you manage to support both Wifi and USB connections in your app, then?
02-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #229
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
How did you manage to support both Wifi and USB connections in your app, then?
The Java ("Android") SDK makes it easy to support Wi-Fi on any platform. From there, USB connectivity can be added through a helper app that uses the C++ SDK. I was able to get the app to compile on Mac, Linux, and Windows, and those binaries are included in the repo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #230
Forum Member

I just tried to use Android Studio to build the Ricoh app but I just can't get the thing off the ground at all. It crashes when it tries to connect to the camera.

This is where it fails:

List<CameraDevice> detectedList = CameraDeviceDetector.detect(DeviceInterface.WLAN);

Has anyone had any success with it recently? Perhaps it's just unusable due to age. Or is it _my_ age that's the problem?
02-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #231
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thepedant Quote
I just tried to use Android Studio to build the Ricoh app but I just can't get the thing off the ground at all. It crashes when it tries to connect to the camera.

This is where it fails:

List<CameraDevice> detectedList = CameraDeviceDetector.detect(DeviceInterface.WLAN);

Has anyone had any success with it recently? Perhaps it's just unusable due to age. Or is it _my_ age that's the problem?
It should still work with the models that are officially supported. Can you post more details on the error? It's likely an issue with dependencies.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2022, 06:05 AM   #232
Forum Member

The tablet is a Samsung S7 FE. To test the feasibility, I installed an old apk that was made a few years back and although there were warnings about "maybe won't run properly" it runs OK (connects to the K1mk2 camera and takes pictures) so I assumed that if I could make a new one it would run OK too. So I am using Android Studio Arctic Fox 2020.3.1 Patch 4 on OpenSuse 15.3 to build it. I had to change a few things to get it to compile e.g. the repositories changed from jcenter to google but now it runs OK as far as showing the starting screen but clicking the connect button causes it to crash. Stepping through the code I get to this call

public class CameraDeviceDetector {
private static final CameraDeviceDetector.AccessWiFiDetector WIFI_DETECTOR = new CameraDeviceDetector.AccessWiFiDetector();
and there it ends with a crash.

I conclude that something is wrong with the way the library ricoh-camera-wireless-sdk-1.1.0.jar is being compiled into the project and that maybe the code isn't there or is in the wrong place at run time.

Last edited by thepedant; 02-20-2022 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added a conclusion
02-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #233
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thepedant Quote
The tablet is a Samsung S7 FE. To test the feasibility, I installed an old apk that was made a few years back and although there were warnings about "maybe won't run properly" it runs OK (connects to the K1mk2 camera and takes pictures) so I assumed that if I could make a new one it would run OK too. So I am using Android Studio Arctic Fox 2020.3.1 Patch 4 on OpenSuse 15.3 to build it. I had to change a few things to get it to compile e.g. the repositories changed from jcenter to google but now it runs OK as far as showing the starting screen but clicking the connect button causes it to crash. Stepping through the code I get to this call

public class CameraDeviceDetector {
private static final CameraDeviceDetector.AccessWiFiDetector WIFI_DETECTOR = new CameraDeviceDetector.AccessWiFiDetector();
and there it ends with a crash.

I conclude that something is wrong with the way the library ricoh-camera-wireless-sdk-1.1.0.jar is being compiled into the project and that maybe the code isn't there or is in the wrong place at run time.
Gotcha. I would start by looking at the application logs. Perhaps it's a device permissions error?

Adam

02-22-2022, 03:19 AM   #234
Forum Member

Thank you, it's working now. You were right about the dependencies; there were a couple that had gone missing. There is also a vital extra attribute that needs to be added to the application tag in AndroidManifest.xml:

android:usesCleartextTraffic="true".
06-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello.

I hope it’s ok to post this on this thread .

I recently bought a Benro Polaris remotely controlled tripod head .

Currently , it does not support Pentax connectivity (via USB cable from its Processor , which I assume is Linux). The developers originally said that Pentax would be supported , but it hasn’t hit the top of their priority list yet ….

When it does hit the top of the list , I’d like to point them to the best resources to secure the best compatibility with the most Pentax cameras as possible.

Selfishly, I want the best compatibility with the K3iii and K1ii since I own them.

What resources would you recommend to point their developers to ?

Should I refer them to this project , or the PKTriggerCord one, or the pentaxAscom driver project , or something else , or all three ?

Many thanks in advance ,

Ian.
06-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #236
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
Hello.

I hope it’s ok to post this on this thread .

I recently bought a Benro Polaris remotely controlled tripod head .

Currently , it does not support Pentax connectivity (via USB cable from its Processor , which I assume is Linux). The developers originally said that Pentax would be supported , but it hasn’t hit the top of their priority list yet ….

When it does hit the top of the list , I’d like to point them to the best resources to secure the best compatibility with the most Pentax cameras as possible.

Selfishly, I want the best compatibility with the K3iii and K1ii since I own them.

What resources would you recommend to point their developers to ?

Should I refer them to this project , or the PKTriggerCord one, or the pentaxAscom driver project , or something else , or all three ?

Many thanks in advance ,

Ian.
It would probably be a good idea for them to use the official SDK. That said, it hasn't been updated for the K-3 III yet...

Adam

09-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't believe I only just stumbled across this!

However, I have a problem. I'm trying to run in USB mode on an M1 MacBook Pro on Monterey and am getting these errors at launch:
Code:
    USB  ERROR Malformed message []
Fatal Error: USB driver is not responding. Your system may not have the correct runtime libraries installed.
Surely someone has it running on Apple Silicon by now, but I couldn't find any mention of "silicon" or "M1" in the thread, so maybe not?
10-07-2022, 03:18 AM   #238

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

However, I have a problem. I'm trying to run in USB mode on an M1 MacBook Pro on Monterey and am getting these errors at launch:
Code:
Fatal Error: USB driver is not responding. Your system may not have the correct runtime libraries installed.
Surely someone has it running on Apple Silicon by now, but I couldn't find any mention of "silicon" or "M1" in the thread, so maybe not?
I gave up on getting it to work properly with my 645z.
Meanwhile, I'm using Image Transmitter 2 successfully with the camera on a Macbook Pro M1max.
10-07-2022, 06:17 PM   #239
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Code:
The included USB driver will only work on intel-based macs. We would need to recompile it on an M1 mac to get things to work again.

If anyone has developer tools installed on their M1 mac, I'd be happy to share the code that needs to be compiled.

Adam

10-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #240

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The included USB driver will only work on intel-based macs. We would need to recompile it on an M1 mac to get things to work again.

If anyone has developer tools installed on their M1 mac, I'd be happy to share the code that needs to be compiled.
Adam, Apple's C compiler can cross-compile, i.e. with an extra option you can tell it to generate arm64 code even if you're compiling on an Intel Mac. If you need help with that, PM me.