Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2022, 10:37 PM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If anyone has developer tools installed on their M1 mac, I'd be happy to share the code that needs to be compiled.
I have a full Xcode install, though I'm no expert in its use. If you want to PM me with what's involved, I'm sure I can give it a go and test it for you.

10-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #242

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I have a full Xcode install, though I'm no expert in its use. If you want to PM me with what's involved, I'm sure I can give it a go and test it for you.
There is an article from Apple on how to build universal binaries for Intel and Apple Silicon.

Apple Developer Documentation
10-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #243
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the offer! I have dug up the code so hopefully the link below contains everything we would need to get a new binary built.

Unfortunately I don't have a mac any more, nor do I remember what exactly it took to build the mac binary (except that it was fairly straightforward on the command line), but basically what you would need to do is compile cli.cpp inside /samples/cli/. The code itself should work cross-platform, but do keep in mind that this was based on testing done 4 years ago.

There are some xcode-specific instructions in /docs/user_guide/en/quick-start-mac.md, nor sure if they are useful or relevant.

In other news, it looks like Ricoh's official SDK website has been taken down. Hopefully this isn't last of the official SDK support for Pentax cameras!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #244

Photos: Gallery
There are some xcode-specific instructions in /docs/user_guide/en/quick-start-mac.md, nor sure if they are useful or relevant.
The project is missing the *.xcodeproj files it should contain to build for macOS.

And while archive.org has indexed the web site (https://web.archive.org/web/20210116204538/https://api.ricoh/downloads/), the actual zip files were not stored, unfortutely.

Last edited by tempelorg; 10-31-2022 at 02:08 PM.
12-12-2022, 01:39 AM   #245
Pentaxian

In other news, it looks like Ricoh's official SDK website has been taken down. Hopefully this isn't last of the official SDK support for Pentax cameras!
This is a little disappointing. I was hoping there'd be a new release at some point as we're reliant on pktriggercord for bulb mode photography in ekos/Indi. Especially as bulb mode in the latter doesn't work for the K3
10-03-2023, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would probably be a good idea for them to use the official SDK. That said, it hasn't been updated for the K-3 III yet...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m digging in 100 directions at the moment and not yet making any progress, in my quest for how to improve support for Pentax in various third party products .

Since the SDK isn’t available now , it seems that external developers no like Benro can’t use it, however it seems they can use projects made by others that already have it it, if compiled in an application (If I understand the license correctly). For that reason they are using other people’s projects. However , I think they are using forks of ones that don’t support the K1ii and K3iii.

Lots of existing software projects seem to be taking that approach. However , I’m yet to find one that works with the K3iii. I haven’t yet been able to test PentaxWifi. Wificommander is good, but I need USB connectivity and an open source project . I’ll attempt to test PentaxWifi later.

Further to your recommendation above , could you possibly give your best guess as to whether you think the official SDK would theoretically have worked on the K3iii had it still been available , whether you think it might just have needed some minor tweaks, or whether you think it’s so different that the SDK would be useless ?

(I’m trying to work out where to invest my time as I explore the various options)

---------- Post added 10-03-23 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
This is a little disappointing. I was hoping there'd be a new release at some point as we're reliant on pktriggercord for bulb mode photography in ekos/Indi. Especially as bulb mode in the latter doesn't work for the K3

FYI - From my exploration , you could Try using the ‘gphoto ccd’ setting in Ekos/Indi. I was able to make a connection to a K1ii that way . Not sure whether support might stretch to the Bulb setting .
10-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #247
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m digging in 100 directions at the moment and not yet making any progress, in my quest for how to improve support for Pentax in various third party products .

Since the SDK isn’t available now , it seems that external developers no like Benro can’t use it, however it seems they can use projects made by others that already have it it, if compiled in an application (If I understand the license correctly). For that reason they are using other people’s projects. However , I think they are using forks of ones that don’t support the K1ii and K3iii.

Lots of existing software projects seem to be taking that approach. However , I’m yet to find one that works with the K3iii. I haven’t yet been able to test PentaxWifi. Wificommander is good, but I need USB connectivity and an open source project . I’ll attempt to test PentaxWifi later.

Further to your recommendation above , could you possibly give your best guess as to whether you think the official SDK would theoretically have worked on the K3iii had it still been available , whether you think it might just have needed some minor tweaks, or whether you think it’s so different that the SDK would be useless ?

(I’m trying to work out where to invest my time as I explore the various options)

---------- Post added 10-03-23 at 09:21 PM ----------

FYI - From my exploration , you could Try using the ‘gphoto ccd’ setting in Ekos/Indi. I was able to make a connection to a K1ii that way . Not sure whether support might stretch to the Bulb setting .
From the testing I've done, it doesn't work with the K-3 III in either mode. I don't think it's hard to reverse engineer the protocol, but that's besides the point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2023, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn’t seem to use the same approach , at all, as far as I can tell. I’ve been using Wireshark USBCPAP to look at the difference in the packets transmitted when I connect to the K3iii using Image Transmitter 2 as compared to PKTriggerTools and the sample app that came with the C## SDK. (Alas I have no debugging tools to do it any other way currently).

It seems to be able to ‘detect’ but isn’t getting close to ‘connect’ing.

I understand why most will probably have zero interest in attempting this journey, but I have a huge investment in kit that won’t quite talk to each other , and not enough skill to embark on this journey alone

Any guidance on this perilous journey would be very welcome .

To declare the full intent : My goal is to find a way to get a driver into the glibphoto2 package that supports the K3iii and K1ii so I can use my Benro Polaris device and Astroberry controller.

10-10-2023, 12:12 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it looks like I might be embarking on this journey alone

My plan currently is to create a new library to add to libgphoto2 that supports very basic functionality to allow for indilib to use it . My long term target is to support all the cameras that ImageTransmitter2 can support, but right now, shutter release on K3iii is my first target and liveview support on K3iii my second.

If anyone has any desire to be involved or supportive , or has a really good justification for why I should give up and go home now, please get in touch