Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK. Working fine now. All I did was move the PentaxWifi files into a folder of the same name. This meant that the /lib jar files were sitting below the main PentaxWifi.jar file. Java classes can be sensitive to location as it appears to be on Ubuntu. All camera controls working nicely after doing this.

One hiccup: I made a folder called K1 in my Picture folder and then set that as the download folder for the raw files. However, it saved the files to the Pictures folder rather than the Pictures/K1 folder. Not a deal breaker but certainly curious.

I must join the chorus of those bemoaning the slow raw transfer speed. Takes about a minute for the transfer of a FF shot with the laptop sitting right next to the camera.

Jack

11-01-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
OK. Working fine now. All I did was move the PentaxWifi files into a folder of the same name. This meant that the /lib jar files were sitting below the main PentaxWifi.jar file. Java classes can be sensitive to location as it appears to be on Ubuntu. All camera controls working nicely after doing this.

One hiccup: I made a folder called K1 in my Picture folder and then set that as the download folder for the raw files. However, it saved the files to the Pictures folder rather than the Pictures/K1 folder. Not a deal breaker but certainly curious.

I must join the chorus of those bemoaning the slow raw transfer speed. Takes about a minute for the transfer of a FF shot with the laptop sitting right next to the camera.

Jack

All the camera companies are like this, AFAIK, Jack. It's similar on my Sony and Samsung.

The wifi chip is often very weak to not drain the battery, it uses a single channel, etc.

Tethering by the pros such as at the Olympics is by USB to laptop then straight to Ethernet that the agencies lay down at the venues (kilometres at Sochi!) and then up to an FTP server where the editors are waiting to crop, tag, and put on the wire immediately for the news services to buy. They can't be waiting for wifi to transfer files.
11-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Get your sudo going and find out, Jack!
Sudo wouldn't make a difference. That's an error message being sent by the camera, indicating that what we're trying to do (i.e. shoot or change a setting) isn't allowed. I will see if I can reproduce the problem in different camera modes.

Edit: it could be related to not having a card in the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #19
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool Adam. I don’t think I have a use, but it’s still awesome you did it.

11-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sudo wouldn't make a difference. That's an error message being sent by the camera, indicating that what we're trying to do (i.e. shoot or change a setting) isn't allowed.

If you have a look at his most recent post, Adam, he's fixed it, it's the computer not the camera.
11-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Can shutter speed go to the maximum 20 minutes (bulb timer limit)?
I just checked, and yes, this is possible. In the current version of the program, but the camera in B and switch to the timer mode (via the green button), then click on edit -> "Get settings from camera" and you should be good to go.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like that was a bug. I just uploaded a new version of the program with a fix.

Adam

11-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, folder selection bug fixed. Not sure if you can make this happen in the zip file, Adam, but the files seem to need to be extracted into a parent PentaxWifi folder for things to work right, at least in linux.

11-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yep, folder selection bug fixed. Not sure if you can make this happen in the zip file, Adam, but the files seem to need to be extracted into a parent PentaxWifi folder for things to work right, at least in linux.
I'm not able to reproduce this issue. The program starts normally after calling:

Code:
unzip PentaxWifi.zip && java -jar PentaxWifi.jar
It should run fine as long as the libs folder is in the same directory as the jar.

Adam

11-01-2018, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Code has been posted on Github:

GitHub - PentaxForums/PentaxWifi: A cross-platform desktop wi-fi app for Pentax cameras. Automates batch / interval shooting and transfers files.

Adam

11-02-2018, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I just uploaded a new version with live view support.

Adam

11-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iím most likely sitting under dark clear skies with my K-70 attached to an 8Ē Newtonian tonight. The self timer/interval shooting feature makes this very interesting, Iíll test if it works and then use it tonight 😊
11-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is really cool. I just tried it and so far it works fine. Live view in a separate window is great.

File transfer is up to 5 MB still ok. That is a full size jpeg in smallest compression which should be sufficient to check focus and composition.

I'm not a programmer but whatever I can contribute, I'd be happy to help. Just let me know.
11-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As @monochrome said, Adam, I don't personally have a use for this software right now... but what you're doing is a real service to the Pentax community. Kudos, sir!
11-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I'm not a programmer but whatever I can contribute, I'd be happy to help. Just let me know.
The code is up on github if you or anyone else wants to suggest changes or additions. I plan to refactor some of the current implementation to make the program more tolerant to the camera's/SDK's inherent instability, but hopefully the SDK itself will at one point do its part in this regard.

Adam