Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heck, having a text file to define the queue would be fine. Sounds good!

11-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Heck, having a text file to define the queue would be fine. Sounds good!
I had the idea of an export/save import/load function for saving the queue. The file could be CSV or XML and easily created or edited with just a plain text editor.
11-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam, have you stumbled across any information whether the camera will allow to have both a wifi and a USB connection? My K-70 disconnects the wifi once I connect it to the computer via USB.

Controlling the K-70 via the USB port is not supported (at least it's not documented, but some commands can be transmitted via USB), If it could use wifi for control and USB for download it would be great.
11-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I had the idea of an export/save import/load function for saving the queue. The file could be CSV or XML and easily created or edited with just a plain text editor.
This is already supported (the file format is fixed as of Beta 7, which is not yet released here, but already in the repo)

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Adam, have you stumbled across any information whether the camera will allow to have both a wifi and a USB connection? My K-70 disconnects the wifi once I connect it to the computer via USB.
The camera would not allow this- it's either or as far as it is concerned, because connecting via USB prevents it from entering the image capture mode.

I do plan to add full USB support to this app, however. It will take some time to integrate the native code but should be doable. This would allow USB connectivity with the KP, 645Z, and K-1 / K-1 II, but not the K-70 unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #50
Veteran Member

It’s strange, the K-70 is capable of some kind of communication via USB. I’ve sent an Ricoh e-mail asking for information about the K-70 USB communication capabilities, no answer.
It would make any K-70 Astrophotographers life easier.
11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It’s strange, the K-70 is capable of some kind of communication via USB. I’ve sent an Ricoh e-mail asking for information about the K-70 USB communication capabilities, no answer.
It would make any K-70 Astrophotographers life easier.
All Pentax cameras are capable of transferring files over USB, either using MTP or by showing up as a drive, when connected to a PC.

This is different from the USB tethering API, which is only available on certain cameras as listed above (however, my prediction is that most, if not all future models will support it).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I’m aware of the USB transfer.
The K-70 also reacts om commands sent to it, I can take a picture via USB by sending a command to the camera.

11-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #53
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I’m aware of the USB transfer.
The K-70 also reacts om commands sent to it, I can take a picture via USB by sending a command to the camera.
If that's true, then the answer is simple: they disabled it in the official SDK and Image Transmitter support to encourage the purchase of a higher model.

Adam

11-13-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Just as a follow up on the K-70 USB capabilities, by using gphoto2 on my RaspberryPi3 I can read the K-70 settings. Furthermore, I've successfully set shutterspeed, ISO and aperture via USB on my K-70 (I've not tried other settings)
I won't hijack your thread again Adam
11-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just as a follow up on the K-70 USB capabilities, by using gphoto2 on my RaspberryPi3 I can read the K-70 settings. Furthermore, I've successfully set shutterspeed, ISO and aperture via USB on my K-70 (I've not tried other settings)
I won't hijack your thread again Adam
Awesome! I'm currently working on integrating USB support into this project. Once the framework is up, if you're interested, please feel free to add a module for the K-70, which could then hook into gphoto to send the commands.

Adam

11-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Awesome! I'm currently working on integrating USB support into this project. Once the framework is up, if you're interested, please feel free to add a module for the K-70, which could then hook into gphoto to send the commands.
Deal Adam, I’ll also get in touch with the gphoto2/pktriggercord guys to see if we can do some more reverse engineering on the K-70 USB control.
11-19-2018, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #57
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've just uploaded a new version. In addition to improved Wi-Fi stability, this one has USB support through precompiled binaries for 64-bit versions of Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. The binaries also use the official SDK, so there's no reverse-engineering involved.

Download the zip file here:
Release PentaxWifi 1.0.0 Beta 9 · PentaxForums/PentaxWifi · GitHub

I'm not use if the USB mode will work on everyone's system, so feedback is welcome. So far, I have tested Windows 10, macOS 10.13, and Ubuntu 16. We can build more to support more platforms in the future. I haven't posted the C++ source yet, but it's coming. Enjoy!

Although the USB speeds aren't crazy fast, they sure own Wi-Fi transfers and make sending RAW files realistic.

Adam

11-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm clueless about this stuff, but I just wanted to be another voice to register that it's great that Adam / PF who are anything but clueless are doing this
11-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Good stuff
Is there any chance the USB functionality will be extended to 32-bit Windows 10 ... some of us unfortunately don't have the latest in portable hardware
11-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #60
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Good stuff
Is there any chance the USB functionality will be extended to 32-bit Windows 10 ... some of us unfortunately don't have the latest in portable hardware
Added! Please let me know if it works for you.

Adam