Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Wonderful effort, Adam!

The SDK allows Liveview, which is quite helpful for aligning the camera. From the screenshot in the starting post it seems that this is not yet implemented, right? Especially a large live view window would be nice.

Two questions:
  1. Does the SDK allow super-fine "manual" focus adjustments? I ask, because Image Transmitter 2 does offer this and that can be a powerful feature for focus stacking for macro shooting if it can be automated. Currently you need a windows macro recorder to handle IT2. It would be much easier to use a software which does both the adjustements and the automation itself.
  2. I wonder about the USB mode. Interestingly on the K-1 pktriggercord requires the camera has to be set to MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode instead of PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol), Pktriggercord only communicates well in MSC mode.
    Image Transmitter 2 on the other hand only works in PTP mode.
    Which mode is used here?

11-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The SDK allows Liveview, which is quite helpful for aligning the camera. From the screenshot in the starting post it seems that this is not yet implemented, right? Especially a large live view window would be nice.
It is implemented (in the file menu). The frame transmitted is of limited quality, though.

Does the SDK allow super-fine "manual" focus adjustments? I ask, because Image Transmitter 2 does offer this and that can be a powerful feature for focus stacking for macro shooting if it can be automated. Currently you need a windows macro recorder to handle IT2. It would be much easier to use a software which does both the adjustements and the automation itself.

It lets you specify a focus direction an an adjustment amount. So yes, this could definitely be automated. Let me know the use case (i.e. sequence of settings desired) and I can make this happen in some form.

The only caveat is that this is limited to USB mode only.

Which mode is used here?
PTP

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Added! Please let me know if it works for you.
Just downloaded and tried it ... software reports OS not supported.

Then I tried to connect my K-70 via USB only to find that Pentax, in their infinite wisdom, are using a different USB connector on the camera to anything that's gone before AND they don't supply a suitable cable in the box.

I'm almost starting to regret buying this camera ... maybe I should have gone "alternative manufacturer" with the latest model Sigma or Tamron big zoom and just kept with my K-5 for playing with old glass
11-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Then I tried to connect my K-70 via USB only to find that Pentax, in their infinite wisdom, are using a different USB connector on the camera to anything that's gone before AND they don't supply a suitable cable in the box.
It's a bog standard micro B USB cable, Kypfer, isn't it?

Not proprietary at all, source anywhere that sells phone chargers, it's what you actually want - plentiful and cheap.

11-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just downloaded and tried it ... software reports OS not supported.

I'm almost starting to regret buying this camera ... maybe I should have gone "alternative manufacturer" with the latest model Sigma or Tamron big zoom and just kept with my K-5 for playing with old glass
The Pentax USB SDK does not support the K-70. You can connect to it using Wi-Fi, though.

Still, it's weird that it says it's not supported. It should still run in USB mode and tell you no cameras were detected.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax USB SDK does not support the K-70. You can connect to it using Wi-Fi, though.

Still, it's weird that it says it's not supported. It should still run in USB mode and tell you no cameras were detected.
Is this ('not supported' message) caused by the camera not being in single shot drive mode?

11-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #67
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've just uploaded a new version. In addition to improved Wi-Fi stability, this one has USB support through precompiled binaries for 64-bit versions of Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. The binaries also use the official SDK, so there's no reverse-engineering involved.

Download the zip file here:
Release PentaxWifi 1.0.0 Beta 9 · PentaxForums/PentaxWifi · GitHub

I'm not use if the USB mode will work on everyone's system, so feedback is welcome. So far, I have tested Windows 10, macOS 10.13, and Ubuntu 16. We can build more to support more platforms in the future. I haven't posted the C++ source yet, but it's coming. Enjoy!

Although the USB speeds aren't crazy fast, they sure own Wi-Fi transfers and make sending RAW files realistic.
Cool. I'll try it later this week.

A future platform that I can imagine is the iPad pro 13". It has a big enough screen and usb-c connector. I don't own one (yet) but for studio product shoots this could be a very useful tool.

11-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi. Adam. I can report total success with beta 9 via USB or WiFi on Ubuntu 18.10 with my K1 as long as USB Mode is set to PTP in camera. One thing that photogs will need to keep in mind, though, is that having the camera in either WiFi or USB mode will suck the battery life from your camera quickly, moreso for USB. So best to supply external power to the camera if possible. This is standard for many astro shooters so they should be fine. All Live View functionality is there including the use of ES. It just keeps getting better. Question: is a built-in queue editor in the future or did I just miss it? - Jack
11-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #69
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hi. Adam. I can report total success with beta 9 via USB or WiFi on Ubuntu 18.10 with my K1 as long as USB Mode is set to PTP in camera. One thing that photogs will need to keep in mind, though, is that having the camera in either WiFi or USB mode will suck the battery life from your camera quickly, moreso for USB. So best to supply external power to the camera if possible. This is standard for many astro shooters so they should be fine. All Live View functionality is there including the use of ES. It just keeps getting better. Question: is a built-in queue editor in the future or did I just miss it? - Jack
Great!

What kind of functionality are you interested in? Right now you can add to the queue, manually or semi-automatically if you right-click on the add button. You can also save and load from a simple text file.

Adam

11-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #70
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Cool. I'll try it later this week.

A future platform that I can imagine is the iPad pro 13". It has a big enough screen and usb-c connector. I don't own one (yet) but for studio product shoots this could be a very useful tool.
I don't think iOS supports Java. However, the official Image Sync app should work out of the box

Adam

11-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, I keep forgetting to right-click on all the controls to see what else is available! Got it now. - Jack
11-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #72
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is this ('not supported' message) caused by the camera not being in single shot drive mode?
I think he's referring to the USB mode failing to start due to the OS type. But I'm not sure!

Adam

11-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I switched to my M*300/4 lens and the GUI refused to come up. Here is the terminal output:

USB DetectDevice Detected 1 devices. DATA: {USB Connection0=Disconnected, Firmware Version0=1.50, Model0=PENTAX K-1, Manufacturer0=RICOH IMAGING COMPANY LTD., Serial Number0=6370527, Detected Devices=1}
USB ConnectCamera Connection SUCCEED
USB SetSock
USB GetAllSettings Retrieval succeeded. DATA: {availableCaptureMethod=Movie|StillImage, currentFNumber=null, currentShutterSpeed=30, currentExposureCompensation=0.0, currentISO=1600, currentCaptureMethod=StillImage}
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at pfpentaxtether.usb.USBCameraSetting.getUSBSetting(USBCameraSetting.java:50)
at pfpentaxtether.usb.PFRicohUSBSDKBridge.getSettings(PFRicohUSBSDKBridge.java:682)
at pfpentaxtether.usb.USBCamera.getCaptureSettings(USBCamera.java:387)
at pfpentaxtether.CameraConnectionModel.refreshCurrentSettings(CameraConnectionModel.java:463)
at pfpentaxtether.CameraConnectionModel.connect(CameraConnectionModel.java:665)
at pfpentaxtether.gui.MainGui.connect(MainGui.java:714)
at pfpentaxtether.gui.MainGui.<init>(MainGui.java:147)
at startGui$1.run(startGui.java:58)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Note the exception thrown right after camera connection. Would this have anything to do with aperture not being available due to it being a manual lens?

Jack
11-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I switched to my M*300/4 lens and the GUI refused to come up. Here is the terminal output:

USB DetectDevice Detected 1 devices. DATA: {USB Connection0=Disconnected, Firmware Version0=1.50, Model0=PENTAX K-1, Manufacturer0=RICOH IMAGING COMPANY LTD., Serial Number0=6370527, Detected Devices=1}
USB ConnectCamera Connection SUCCEED
USB SetSock
USB GetAllSettings Retrieval succeeded. DATA: {availableCaptureMethod=Movie|StillImage, currentFNumber=null, currentShutterSpeed=30, currentExposureCompensation=0.0, currentISO=1600, currentCaptureMethod=StillImage}
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at pfpentaxtether.usb.USBCameraSetting.getUSBSetting(USBCameraSetting.java:50)
at pfpentaxtether.usb.PFRicohUSBSDKBridge.getSettings(PFRicohUSBSDKBridge.java:682)
at pfpentaxtether.usb.USBCamera.getCaptureSettings(USBCamera.java:387)
at pfpentaxtether.CameraConnectionModel.refreshCurrentSettings(CameraConnectionModel.java:463)
at pfpentaxtether.CameraConnectionModel.connect(CameraConnectionModel.java:665)
at pfpentaxtether.gui.MainGui.connect(MainGui.java:714)
at pfpentaxtether.gui.MainGui.(MainGui.java:147)
at startGui$1.run(startGui.java:58)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Note the exception thrown right after camera connection. Would this have anything to do with aperture not being available due to it being a manual lens?

Jack
Looks like I wasn't accounting for the possibility that there could be no available settings when reading from the USB interface. Will fix this in the next release (which, if we're lucky, will go up tonight).

Adam

11-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. Will watch for it.

Jack