Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #121

nice work Adam !

Usb-Mode (linux) without card, works fine for delay > 10 s.

pic 1 : 12 x 10 sec.

pic 2: longrun queue 60 a 1 min , just the last picture didn't.

look for the second-hand

Attached Images

Last edited by Ha Di Ko; 11-25-2018 at 12:03 PM.
11-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #122
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ha Di Ko Quote
nice work Adam !

Usb-Mode (linux) without card, works fine for delay > 10 s.

pic 1 : 12 x 10 sec.

pic 2: longrun queue 60 a 1 min , just the last picture didn't.

look for the second-hand
Those are some super cool looking shots! I'm not sure how much more precise we can get with the timing, but I'll see what can be done

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #123
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I uploaded Beta 17, with a slightly more optimal queue processing approach. I think this is as good as it's going to get for the time being. Will continue tweaking later on.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding USB support for the K-70, that’s only possible in MSC mode, I guess that makes it impossible to include K-70 USB support through the Ricoh SDK
I’ll have to stick to libgphoto2 to get some USB tethering on my K-70.

11-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #125
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Regarding USB support for the K-70, that’s only possible in MSC mode, I guess that makes it impossible to include K-70 USB support through the Ricoh SDK
I’ll have to stick to libgphoto2 to get some USB tethering on my K-70.
Well, regardless of the USB mode, the SDK wouldn't support it. We could, however, integrate libgphoto2 as an intermediate driver between the app and the camera. This is what I did with the USB SDK since it's platform specific.

Adam

11-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a note on beta 17 with USB connections. There was no detectable difference in interval timing from previous versions. Still within a few hundredths to a few thousandths of a second for interval timing. Also, it takes about 4.5 seconds to get the thumbnail back to the PC with beta 17 so any interval less than that will not complete as required. 5 seconds and above are fine, though.

A summary from my testing of the program so far:

Wifi mode - Needs 2 cards in camera.
- File transfer speed very slow.

USB mode - Needs no cards in camera.
- Needs intervals of at least 5 seconds.
- File transfer speed fast.
- Power hungry compared to wifi.

- Jack
11-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #127
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
- Power hungry compared to wifi.
Interesting! On my end, the Wi-fi definitely drains the battery faster, but that's assuming the connection is maintained the whole time. The side of the camera gets a bit hot, too.

Adam

11-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wifi would be a winner for me due to not needing a physical connection if only the transfer times were faster. But I can't see myself sticking it out at -25 temps during a winter astro shoot waiting for the files to transfer. Power draw is a moot point if you run your equipment off external power. I have yet to determine how long a usb cable you can get away with before the transfer goes south. - Jack
11-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #129
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Wifi would be a winner for me due to not needing a physical connection if only the transfer times were faster. But I can't see myself sticking it out at -25 temps during a winter astro shoot waiting for the files to transfer. Power draw is a moot point if you run your equipment off external power. I have yet to determine how long a usb cable you can get away with before the transfer goes south. - Jack
Yeah, the wi-fi speed is a show-stopped for raw files. I hope the next model gets faster speed support.

Adam

11-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Awesome! I was hoping someone would do something like this. Now if it would only talk to ascom, but that might require a separate driver for the Pentax.
11-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #131
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That message is indicative of the software being run in wifi mode. Use the launcher for USB mode and you should be good.
Ok. Is the run_mac_unix_usb.sh file supposed to launch the app? When I double click it, it opens as text file.

I moved the content folder to my user root and pasted "java -jar PentaxWifi.jar usb" in to Terminal (my Terminal skills are limited to pasting stuff).

So far it works fine but the transfer speeds also in USB mode are a bit slow. Usability of the UI is great. Most wanted feature would be an automated focussing row/queue. Let's hope focus control comes to the SDK. And faster wifi transfer
11-27-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope Adam doesnt mind a Mac geek chiming in on the shell/text file question above.

The reason that a .sh file opens as a text file when its double clicked in macOS, is because it is a text file.

If you want all shell scripts to launch as executables, or only specific scripts, there are various ways of dealing with this. I would not want to make a global recommendation. Try a search for "launching shell scripts on Mac" and see how comfortable you feel about the methods you find. Feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited by YeOldePentaxian; 11-27-2018 at 07:07 AM.
11-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #133

Today I thought about how to increase the range but all offers did not look tempting.

so back to existing
and it works wifi tethering
but only with the helper in the middle in this case the notebook of my wife.with usbip installed.
USBIP ? Wiki ? ubuntuusers.de
Camera via usb to the notebook. notebook in the wifi. usbhib on the desktop and run_mac_unix_usb
usbip works stable and fast with both ethernet and wifi.
the delays are manageable

"wifi"

picture 1 postpone
picture 2 direct download

both raw + 10x30sec. delay 40sec

Now think about a Raspberry Pi

Edit:
forgot it's ten times faster than Pentax wifi ; )
Attached Images

Last edited by Ha Di Ko; 11-27-2018 at 09:24 AM.
11-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #134
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Ok. Is the run_mac_unix_usb.sh file supposed to launch the app? When I double click it, it opens as text file.

I moved the content folder to my user root and pasted "java -jar PentaxWifi.jar usb" in to Terminal (my Terminal skills are limited to pasting stuff).

So far it works fine but the transfer speeds also in USB mode are a bit slow. Usability of the UI is great. Most wanted feature would be an automated focussing row/queue. Let's hope focus control comes to the SDK. And faster wifi transfer
If you'd like to make it executable, use chmod +x {filename}

I don't know if this will allow you to launch it by clicking on it from the finder, but you'll be able to run it by typing the filename on the terminal

You can AF by right clicking on the capture button. Right now it's not part of the queue, but that could easily be added in the future because it is supported by the SDK.

Also, a note to windows users: I just realized that you need visual c++ 2015 and 2017 redistributable to be installed on the system, otherwise the USB driver will not run.

Adam

11-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #135

unix wifi works

unix usb works

windows wifi works.
windows usb don't
installed visual c++ 2015 redistributable

tried cmd.. tried adm etc..
anybody success with windows usb ?