Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I can confirm USB works with Windows 10 32-bit, I don't use 64-bit both due to ageing hardware and non-compatible software. I tried it on my desktop machine which does not have WiFi, so no risk of "confusion". My K-70 is also at firmware v1.11.
When you connect your camera to your computer, does it immediately recognise it as an external drive (MSC Mode) or does W10 ask what you want to do with the K-70 (PTP Mode)? I responded "Do Nothing".
It seems as if Christmas comes early this year - I just tested it on my daughters laptop, it works perfectly, reading/setting the camera settings, live view etc.
It's so fantastic!!!!!
Makes my astrophotography sooo much easier
Then I just have to figure out why the MTP driver on my desktop pc is not working as intended, but that's a minor thing.
@Adam, put the K-70 on the list of cameras with USB support

I also tested it on my daughters K-S2, no connection.

11-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
It seems as if Christmas comes early this year - I just tested it on my daughters laptop, it works perfectly, reading/setting the camera settings, live view etc.
It's so fantastic!!!!!
Makes my astrophotography sooo much easier
Then I just have to figure out why the MTP driver on my desktop pc is not working as intended, but that's a minor thing.
@Adam, put the K-70 on the list of cameras with USB support
I also tested it on my daughters K-S2, no connection.

Just another quick update which reflects the hardware compatibility experienced by DrawsACircle, I tried installing the same release software on my (older) laptop, also running Windows 10 32-bit, and the USB connection did NOT work! Also, the wifi aspect of the package only works in part, in that although it finds the camera, views LiveView and releases the shutter, it doesn't autofocus. This does strike me as a bit weird because WiFi Commander does control the camera reliably on this same laptop.

For me, I've got what I want, WiFi connection on the laptop (using WiFi Commander) and wired connection on my desktop (which doesn't have WiFi), so I'm a happy bunny. I'll be happy to check any further releases for functionality on my aging laptop, but I suspect any hardware compatibility issues resolved there are unlikely to be of much help to many others.

Thanks again
11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #153
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
did NOT work!
Do you have visual c++ 2015 redistributable installed?

Also, regarding the AF, there seems to be an issue with the SDK. It only works reliably in live view mode for both wi-fi and USB.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you have visual c++ 2015 redistributable installed?

Also, regarding the AF, there seems to be an issue with the SDK. It only works reliably in live view mode for both wi-fi and USB.

I downloaded an installed the c++ redistributable from the Microsoft site, the page said "2015" but the package that actually arrived was "2017", it was the only one available for 32-bit. I installed this redistributable on both machines, "just in case", though some references suggested the DLL's were incorporated in W10 by default.

I am literally running the same software on two machines, I copied the folder with the WiFi_USB_Tether in straight from the desktop to the laptop, the redistributable was installed in the usual manner. On one machine the package works in USB mode, on the other it doesn't, though the camera is recognised when it's connected, it appears on Explorer and can be browsed in the usual way, so it appears to be something to do with how the software interacts with the USB hardware on the laptop ... which is an old Compaq TC4400, if that's of any relevance.

11-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #155
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I downloaded an installed the c++ redistributable from the Microsoft site, the page said "2015" but the package that actually arrived was "2017", it was the only one available for 32-bit. I installed this redistributable on both machines, "just in case", though some references suggested the DLL's were incorporated in W10 by default.

I am literally running the same software on two machines, I copied the folder with the WiFi_USB_Tether in straight from the desktop to the laptop, the redistributable was installed in the usual manner. On one machine the package works in USB mode, on the other it doesn't, though the camera is recognised when it's connected, it appears on Explorer and can be browsed in the usual way, so it appears to be something to do with how the software interacts with the USB hardware on the laptop ... which is an old Compaq TC4400, if that's of any relevance.
It needs to be the 2015 version. To verify, you can try to run the win32 executable in the bin folder from command prompt, and error messages would then indicate which DLLs are missing.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #156
Pentaxian

It needs to be the 2015 version. To verify, you can try to run the win32 executable in the bin folder from command prompt, and error messages would then indicate which DLLs are missing.
I'll have another play tomorrow ... the 2015 version appears to be unavailable, maybe I've managed to install it on the desktop machine at sometime in the past. I'll have to see if I can find a relevant download somewhere locally.
11-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #157
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll have another play tomorrow ... the 2015 version appears to be unavailable, maybe I've managed to install it on the desktop machine at sometime in the past. I'll have to see if I can find a relevant download somewhere locally.
Both the 32 and 64 bit versions are available here:
Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC from Official Microsoft Download Center

Adam

11-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After playing around with usb and wifi modes, I have decided to use usb exclusively with my astro shoots. Wifi is just too slow and occasionally flaky. The USB mode works fine with a 20 foot extension cable which is enough to allow me to shelter from the cold with the laptop should it be needed. Also, one little niggle that is an advantage for the usb mode when doing astro is that it will allow the 2 sec delay whereas with wifi, it has to be in single frame drive mode. The 2 sec delay locks the mirror up at the start of the cycle which will help minimize vibrations. For large scopes, it would be better to have a mirror up mode with a selectable delay for the 2nd shutter trigger but I doubt the SDK allows it.

And assuming the pedantic role, here is a typo I found in the debug output:

Capturing StillImage has started. Capture ID: 201811290203404
Got camera event Event: imageStored
Got camera event Event: captureComplete
Image Stored. Name: K1A_9488.DNG
Capture Complete. Caputure ID: 201811290203404

Note "Caputure ID" in last line. This typo is in both wifi and usb mode so it may be a mistake in the SDK rather than your code.

Jack

Last edited by jbinpg; 11-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.
11-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Thanks for that link - now for the weird stuff!

I'd already installed "2017" on my desktop and the program worked ... when I tried to install "2015" it reported a newer version was installed, so I uninstalled "2017" and installed "2015" ... program worked BUT NO LiveView, just a blank window! Re-install "2017", the "2015" install "disappeared" (presumably overwritten) and the LiveView window came active again, and now it autofocusses as well, so just maybe one might need BOTH redistributables, installed one before the other, to get everything to work?

When I get time later I'll play with the laptop as well ... stuff to do
11-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #160
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for that link - now for the weird stuff!

I'd already installed "2017" on my desktop and the program worked ... when I tried to install "2015" it reported a newer version was installed, so I uninstalled "2017" and installed "2015" ... program worked BUT NO LiveView, just a blank window! Re-install "2017", the "2015" install "disappeared" (presumably overwritten) and the LiveView window came active again, and now it autofocusses as well, so just maybe one might need BOTH redistributables, installed one before the other, to get everything to work?

When I get time later I'll play with the laptop as well ... stuff to do
It certainly is possible. I believe 2017 is included by default with Windows. Will check!

Adam

11-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #161
Pentaxian

It certainly is possible. I believe 2017 is included by default with Windows. Will check!
I repeated the exercise on my laptop. First deleted everything relevant, then installed "c++ 2015" then unzipped the WiFi program. At this point it all appeared to work, then I installed "c++ 2017" and the "2015" installation "disappeared", presumably overwritten and the program continued to function, both in USB and WiFi mode.

From experience, if I try to install the "2015" with the "2017" already installed, it'll refuse to install, but the other way around it's OK, so I'd guess that "2017" is an upgrade to "2015" rather than a completely separate entity. I say this because looking at the list of installed programs on my desktop, I've already got "2005, two versions of "2008" and also "2012" that all seem to exist independently of each other!

I've not made any extensive tests for reliability or tested many of the features, but I've had no problems so far. File transfer using WiFi is slow compared to USB, but that's to be expected.

Will keep you posted if I do run into any features that "misbehave".
12-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Just having a quick "play" with the right-click settings in USB mode and I've found a spelling mistake
If I right-click on any of the windows in the Capture Queue I get offered the option to "Dupliate Selected"!
Just thought you'd like to know
12-09-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, Adam. Did an astro shoot using the usb mode last night. A couple of things I learned:

1) "B mode is not supported" comes up if trying to use the longer timer settings in B mode. Is it just usb mode that is not supported?

2) If using the 2-second delay, the last frame in the queue never gets triggered. I had to ctrl-c to kill the app otherwise it would have still been waiting for input. I assume the 2-sec delay has some bearing here. Not a problem since I transfer the images directly after each exposure so all the images minus the last one are saved.

Otherwise, it is such a pleasure being able to begin the queue and then walk back into the house and warm up knowing that I will have a nice set of frames waiting for me when I go back outside.

Jack
12-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #164
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
1) "B mode is not supported" comes up if trying to use the longer timer settings in B mode. Is it just usb mode that is not supported?
Yes, I believe so. It should work fine in Wi-Fi mode. However, this might be something that I can come up with a workaround for.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If using the 2-second delay
In-camera or in the program?

Adam

12-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using the in-camera 2-sec delay which locks the mirror up at the start of the cycle. Very handy for astro work where any vibration is unwanted. Probably an interaction between the app interval timing and the in-camera 2-sec delay.- Jack