Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2019, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Thanks for that, Sharky. I had already found this one, and it looks astonishing - but it also looks as if it is only Windows or Mac, but as I said, after an android app

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Angerdan, thanks - I hadn't found that one in my searches, but took a quick look, and will go back and study it more fully. That spreadsheet matrix is a great idea!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The program in this thread works over wifi and usb, the latter being faster.

For android, definitely go with the image sync app, as it's the most complete offering at the moment (though not without its limitations).

I'd recommend that you post the remaining technique-related questions in a separate thread
Thanks Adam - gives me motivation to explore Image Sync in greater detail.

I have said this once or twice before in other threads, but I'll say it again: the level of willing sharing of expertise in this Forum is outstanding!

08-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #182
Pentaxian

That is an error being returned by the camera. A current limitation of the Ricoh SDK is that it slows down significantly if there are lots of files on the card. Try using a smaller card and you should be fine.
I have the same problem ("ERRR c*.r*.c*.s*.w*.i*.Impl* Code:FORBIDDEN Messageevice Busy" after attempting to take a second shot) but it also occurs when using an empty card. In other words, at the time the error occurs, the card only contains one image (the one that was successfully transferred before).

I do record both a DNG to one card and a JPEG to the other card.
I only have "Transfer JPEG" ticked.

What could be the problem?
Shall I try not recording DNG files at all? However, that would defeat my use case which is to record high quality images to the card and use small JPEGs for over-WiFi validation.

Alternatively, go into the menu and reconnect to the camera.
That wouldn't be feasible though, after each shot.

With other software, e.g., "WiFi Commander" I can take multiple images in succession and they all get transferred.

It would be awesome if you could have a look into the "BUSY" issue as your software is the only one that gives me a decent LiveView (WiFi Commander only presents a ridiculously small Live View window, probably a scaling issue that has to do with the fact that I'm using a 147% custom scaling on my Windows laptop).

P.S.: Of course the camera (K-1) is in single shot mode and AF is turned on (configured to back-button AF, though). I don't think the camera settings are an issue because a) it works for the first shot, and b) other software can transfer multiple images with the same camera settings.
08-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Further to my previous post, I noticed that the windows title bar of the application indicates "camera busy" after a single capture is initiated. It seems, however, that there is a failure of the camera <-> application combination to reset to a "ready" state after the file transfer has completed.

The camera itself seems to be "ready" as when I simply restart the application, another single capture + subsequent is possible. So either the application is "imagining" the camera to be "busy" while it isn't, or something in the initial communication with the camera gets it out of its "busy" state. I can confirm that "Restart Camera Connection" allows a further single capture (+ transfer), it doesn't influence the "Camera Busy" indication in the title bar, though.

P.S.: In case it wasn't clear: I'm using the "Capture Single Photo" button, not the photo scheduling function.

Last edited by Class A; 08-28-2019 at 07:45 AM.
08-28-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #184
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Most other software reverse-engineers the camera's (admittedly straightforward, and mostly stable) network interface. Here we use Ricoh's SDK, which is the source of the bugginess. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any recent updates to the SDK. One of the main issues with the current version is that responses from the camera (which clear the busy state) aren't entirely consistent.

I'd be open to someone poking around in the code to see if there's a trick to wake the camera up, but the only permanent solution here is to wait for proper support from Ricoh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #185
Pentaxian

One of the main issues with the current version is that responses from the camera (which clear the busy state) aren't entirely consistent.
OK, but why isn't everyone complaining about the fact that they cannot get more than one file transferred?

EDIT: It seems that my use of two cards was the stumbling block.

I've tried to queue capture settings and when the software tries to process the queue it does not progress past the first image either.
Clearly others had more success?!?

FWIW, I was running V1.40 on my K-1. Perhaps the changes in V1.41 regarding Image Transmitter 2 version 2.3.0 make a difference?
I've just tried V1.51 and it didn't play at all, i.e., not even a single image could be transferred ("Error 142", IIRC).
EDIT: Probably V1.51 works as well and I unknowingly changed some other variable (e.g., using two cards again).

Luckily V1.50 works. N.B. do you happen to know what is behind the "Optimized performance when attaching new lens HD PENTAX-D FA*50mmF1.4 SDM AW" improvement?

With which firmware version were you using during development and/or currently?

I'm afraid, waiting for Ricoh won't do it. I don't expect updates to the API unless a new camera model somehow warrants that.

I'd be open to someone poking around in the code to see if there's a trick to wake the camera up, but the only permanent solution here is to wait for proper support from Ricoh.
I'll have a look.

At least force-reconnecting after each capture should work. I could afford to do that as I'm not dependent on small or consistent gaps between captures.

I'm keen to write an application myself that focuses on live previewing and automatically pulling the latest JPEG capture to support some initial validation of focus, etc. I noticed that small JPEG files transfer rather quickly (at least with WiFi Commander). Currently none of the applications do what I want. WiFiCommander is close but some GUI programming issue forces an incredibly small LiveView image on my laptop (which has a regular 1920x1080 display but I guess my 147% custom scaling messes the software up).

Last edited by Class A; 08-28-2019 at 01:13 PM.
08-28-2019, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #186
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I think I tested with 1.40 and 1.50. It's a shame that the sdk can't "just work", because it is really close to enabling some super useful features.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #187
Pentaxian

I think I tested with 1.40 and 1.50.
Thanks, meanwhile I did further tests (after having read more of this thread) and it turns out that using two cards at the same time prevents the camera from getting ready for a second remote capture.

Now this appears to mean that my intended use case won't work. I wanted to shoot DNG (for later use) and JPEGs (for previewing on the laptop) at the same time. However, this (double capture) feature only appears to work when the camera has access to two cards thus throwing a spanner into the works regarding the transfer of JPEGs.

I'm not sure whether to further pursue using the API at this point. I don't want to be forced to shoot JPEGs and transferring RAWs just is prohibitively slow. Is there a way to transfer JPEG versions of RAW files (e.g., the embedded previews) that have decent quality? The previews downloaded by ImageSync, for instance, are not good enough for anything more than super superficial evaluation.

I guess I could still try the force-reconnect approach.

It's a shame that the sdk can't "just work", because it is really close to enabling some super useful features.
Indeed!

It's doubly disappointing because the cameras apparently are capable of delivering as demonstrated by the use of other binaries to interface with them.

If only Ricoh could give us access to the API source code, I'm confident we could fix it then.

08-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most other software reverse-engineers the camera's (admittedly straightforward, and mostly stable) network interface. Here we use Ricoh's SDK, which is the source of the bugginess. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any recent updates to the SDK. One of the main issues with the current version is that responses from the camera (which clear the busy state) aren't entirely consistent.

Ricoh has stopped support and withdrawn the SDKs. I was notified by email from them some time ago about their decision.

RONC
08-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #189
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Ricoh has stopped support and withdrawn the SDKs. I was notified by email from them some time ago about their decision.

RONC
I think that was only for the cloud APIs, right?

Adam

08-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that was only for the cloud APIs, right?
You are correct that only the Cloud APIs are no longer available but I had another note that I can't find saying there would be no further support for any of the APIs.

I would not expect Ricoh to fix bugs in anything except what they ship as theirs.

RONC
12-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #191

Are there installation instructions available?
I downloaded Java and the Zip from GitHub, but if I unzip and double click the "run_windows_wifi" simply nothing happens.
12-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #192
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
Are there installation instructions available?
I downloaded Java and the Zip from GitHub, but if I unzip and double click the "run_windows_wifi" simply nothing happens.
No instillation is needed. Try opening command prompt, cd to the folder with the jar files, then run:

Code:
java -jar PentaxWifi.jar
This should indicate what error prevented the program from starting. Could be an incompatible version of Java, or perhaps something entirely different.

Adam

12-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #193

This looks like it would be really good. Will give it a try as & when I get a compatible camera.
12-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #194

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
You are correct that only the Cloud APIs are no longer available but I had another note that I can't find saying there would be no further support for any of the APIs.

I would not expect Ricoh to fix bugs in anything except what they ship as theirs.

RONC
Ricoh released an update of the Wireless SDK for IOS 1.1.1 just a few weeks ago. Seems odd if they dropped support.

RICOH Camera SDK Update (iOS 1.1.1)
12-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #195
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Dang! I wish I could contribute and help with all this, but alas, I lack a supported body.

Steve