Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
RaduA

Pictures of K-m+DA21 and compared to other cameras

Hi,

I probably should of posted this days ago but ... here we go . In case some of you wonder about a size comparation between a K-m+DA21, a Fujifilm S5800 bridge camera and the K100D + kit lens. Also there are higer res version available.

k_m.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

left_K_m.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Regards,
Radu

Attached Images

09-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #2

That is a much bigger difference in size than I was expecting (especially compared to the K100). I guess I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas this year...
09-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Busiko

K20D x K2000

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi,

I probably should of posted this days ago but ... here we go . In case some of you wonder about a size comparation between a K-m+DA21, a Fujifilm S5800 bridge camera and the K100D + kit lens. Also there are higer res version available.

Regards,
Radu
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
That is a much bigger difference in size than I was expecting (especially compared to the K100). I guess I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas this year...
Compare: K2000 x K20D back to back
Attached Images

09-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Kei

Photos: Gallery
The first pic is the most useful for me as I happen to have a fuji s5700 (same size as the s5800). That really put things into perspective.

My guess the K-m is about the size of the Nikon D40/D60. I hope the K-m is as sturdy as its bigger brothers.

09-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

doesn't look much smaller to me. and it's def not much lighter :S
so i guess it should be even sturdier :/

KM
625g (22.0oz.)
With and alkaline batteries SD card

K200D
690g (24.3oz.)
With lithium batteries and SD card

K100D
660 g (1.5 lb)
(reduced by approx. 20 g if using CR-V3 batteries)
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
RaduA

I must say that with the DA21 the camera seemed very well balanced. I have larger than average hands and I had a very good grip on it with 3 fingers wraped on the body and the pinky beneath it. In this combo you're looking at about 850 grams with NiMH accus.

2 more things: I used extensively the camera for 4 days (hundred of photos, a lot of menu usage on the LCD, about 50 flash photos as well) and the battery metter never fell a single line. I had 4 great 2700mAh accus in it and I strongly feel that I could go well over 1K photos on a single charge.

The transfer rate was superior to that reported by dpreview for the K200D. I transfered 141 files (dngs and some jpegs) of a total size of 1,35 GB in 164 seconds. That means aproximately 8,43 MB/sec.

Regards,
Radu
09-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #7

these are good to see, but the angles are a little not-useful. the foreshortening in both accentuates the size of the k200d vs. the others. that's why sites like dpreview do these with the more boring straight-on type of shot.

still much appreciated though!
09-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
these are good to see, but the angles are a little not-useful. the foreshortening in both accentuates the size of the k200d vs. the others. that's why sites like dpreview do these with the more boring straight-on type of shot.

still much appreciated though!
NO foreshortening here. The farther is shorter, not the closer one.

09-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
that back to back shot shows that the Km is not quite as wide as the k20. about an inch less maybe. it seems to have the same depth though. I dont think size should be a concern to someone purchasing the KM vs. something like the k200 or the k20. its not THAT much smaller, and as soon as you strap a DA* lens on it, it doesnt matter. neither camera is pocketable. a k20 with a pancake lens can be carried in a woman's purse just as easily as a KM i would guess
09-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
NO foreshortening here. The farther is shorter, not the closer one.
i'm talking about the effects of perspective. closer objects appear larger than farther objects even if they were the same size - so if the farther object is actually smaller, the closer one will seem bigger than it is if the mind compares the two.

Image:Perspective-foreshortening.svg - Wikimedia Commons in fig b the top and bottom of the cube are the same size, but the bottom one looks smaller/the top one looks bigger.

anyway, a true orthogonal view is impossible with a camera, we can only approximate with very long telephoto lens.