Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can always go more pessimistic to even all bets out. It might get stolen. You might drop it. Some superstorm might demolish it. You may lose interest in photography.
If you want it and can afford it. Holding it's price or rebuying 10 years out is way down a reasonable priority list.

11-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty? Have you bought into a second system? Do these kind of thoughts affect what you decide to buy?
I think you should just get a camera to take pictures, and not as something to sell later. That being said, if you're thinking about other systems why not just have an open mind and try some new models at your local camera store? Personally, I don't believe in loyalty to any brand, but if you want to own the DA limiteds, just buy them.

As for myself, I have some Pentax gear and I plan on using it until it dies. Some of my lenses do have aperture rings, and I will just adapt those once my bodies stop working. I am also in the market for a few new lenses for specific purposes however, and for those I'm actually looking at other systems. However, the main reason for that is because of the capabilities of other systems/lenses that aren't available for Pentax.

For the purposes of photography, I don't think you should let the future worry you.
11-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you aren’t really worried about buying APSc Pentax lenses, you’re worried about selling them later.
  1. Your existing Pentax APSc camera will work for a long time
  2. Pentax FF K-1 has Crop Mode
  3. There will be full-function adapters available, especially for MILC
  4. Cameras come and go. Lenses are forever.
11-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
[*]Cameras come and go. Lenses are forever. [/LIST]
I agree if you are talking about "manual focus" lenses. I've not had good luck long term with auto focus lenses; while some of my 50-year old plus manual focus lenses are still working perfectly. Also, manual focus lenses do tend to last me forever because I have a small lens repair shop and can easily repair/CLA/adapt/Frankenstein them myself.

I'm relatively new to Pentax (4 years Pentax, 40+ years everything else). I do really like my K-1 and K-3. However, when they die I will likely go back to Nikon and use my many manual focus lenses on a Nikon mirrorless body.

The new Nikon mirrorless bodies are very weather resistant and well built, and as Lloyd Chambers has pointed out, they have exceptionally thin glass over their sensors - making them ideal candidates for adapted lenses!

While I'm not eager to rush out and buy one of the new 1st generation Nikon mirrorless bodies, I can see myself buying a later generation one in 5+ years.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.
11-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I think you aren’t really worried about buying APSc Pentax lenses, you’re worried about selling them later.
I agree with this part.
Cameras come and go. Lenses are forever.
I don't agree with this part. I love my DA 18-135mm; I will miss it now that my K-30 is experiencing Dark Image Syndrome, and I'll have to go back to an FA 28-105mm because of its aperture ring. As a practical picture-taking matter - as opposed to collecting - both are superior to any of the Takumar, or Pentax-M or Pentax-A lenses I have. People who keep talking about improving AF will undoubtedly discover that a new lens will be part of any solution.
11-03-2018, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #36

I own a KP with APS-C frame bought on the day it first came out. This being my first DSLR, second SLR (a Nikon) I have taken to learning all the buttons and wiz that comes with modern day photography. It has taken me nearly two years to master the camera and photography in general and I now feel more proficient in taking pictures than I ever did with an SLR. But this leaves a dilemma: Technology innovation cycle's in the time it takes to learn how to shoot. And I'm sure I'm not done learning, there are modes I have yet to explore fully. With time invested in this way, I feel it important I carry over this knowledge to other Pentax bodies. APS-C are still popular, I understand why. But I don't hold any anxiety in owning one. The anxiety comes when I show my pictures to people. If Pentax could fix that, it would be great!