Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty?
The really nice thing about Pentax is that the gear is reasonably priced (even new) and tends to hold its value well. If you buy in when prices are near record lows, I'd say the risk is very low no matter what happens.

Also, aperture rings are dead- should anything change with the mount, there will surely be adapters that allow for electronic control of the aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hedging your bets, or how do I not stress about buying Pentax lenses?
Just buy EF and F mount lenses in case they will not be replaced by the RF mount, and Z mount.
11-02-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used lenses hold their price. If you buy used, you can sell for the same amount unless you abused them. There's no point renting unless you can't find that one lens you need to use.

Really, what can't you do with the lenses you have? That's how you approach this.
11-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love Pentax. I've been shooting with their DSLRs for 12 years and I regret none of it... The ergonomics, interesting lenses, custom features and reliable quality are all things I still appreciate.

I have been feeling some stress about expanding my lens collection recently, though, because of the way that the industry seems to be changing so rapidly. My particular problem is that I love the DA limited lenses and would love to collect them all, but without even an aperture ring I can't imagine I could recoup much on them should the flow of APS-C Pentax cameras cease for whatever reason.

So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty? Have you bought into a second system? Do these kind of thoughts affect what you decide to buy?

(For the record, I am implying nothing about Pentax in particular, just that there seem to be an insane number of systems and mounts right now and it doesn't feel sustainable to me)
Hi Selfnoise

No one has a crystal ball to see the future,buy and use the lenses you want ...simple.

Dave

11-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have enough things to worry about without going out of my way to find new ones.

Even if Pentax goes extinct tomorrow and takes the K-mount with it, everything I have accumulated should continue to work for many years. As a few posters before me, I'd look for the panicky people and try to pick up a spare body or two, otherwise, it would be business as usual for me.
11-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
No one has a crystal ball to see the future,buy and use the lenses you want ...simple.
You could buy into any camera system and they could go under. You pays your money and you takes your pick.
11-02-2018, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"I buy everything. Takes the worry out of it" - @SandyHancock (Best time for a camera upgrade - PentaxForums.com) One of PF's all-time great lines.

11-02-2018, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Is your camera system an investment or a tool? If you want DA primes then get them. Life's too short.
Quite.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'll have lots of time to save up for a new system.
That’s a bold assertion for a man who’s of a similar age to me (“Very interesting – but stupid”)

I think we all live with the cognitive dissonance that lies between those two statements. I decided to retire when I was well past the normal age for doing so, after friends and relatives started dropping off the perch. Now, I’m not profligate with my money, but I generally don’t not do something simply because I might need the money in twenty years time.
11-02-2018, 03:02 PM - 4 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

About twenty years ago I bought a vintage motorcycle. It's a big, vertical twin cylinder...a 750cc performance motorcycle.... for it's day. A Scrambler...good for both on and off road.

The British company that made it went out of business about 40 years ago. I can still get parts for it and I originally bought and keep it...because I really like it. I'm not interested in too many modern bikes...I prefer English motorcycles from the 1960's. It vibrates, it is loud, kick start only and you have to know the 'knack' to get those cylinders firing...but it handles well, goes well and I can't keep my eyes off it's svelte and sinuous lines.

Same deal with Pentax. I've had various models both SLR's and DSLR's made by Pentax over the years. I've had other brands too, but my heart belongs to Pentax...photographically speaking of course. I like the ergonomics, the image quality these Pentax machines produce..and the look of it. I've always liked the Pentax 'look'. Sounds like there is a recurring theme here regarding machines with me. But I'm also that way with fountain pens and ball point pens. Sheaffer and Waterman my two favourites in pens.

So far all my Pentax gear from my 1968 S1a...to my 2017 (year bought) Pentax K1 have performed well for me. Incidentally I really like the 'look' and ergonomics of both my ancient S1a and almost brand spanking new K1.

I used to regard my collection of camera gear and two vintage motorcycles...as 'investments' . But I don't anymore. When I bought my old English twin motorcycle, a buddy was trying to 'help' me with my wife. He told her the bike was an 'investment'. She retorted that no, it wasn't an investment. An investment is something you buy into with the intent of making money out if, sometime down the road. She said a vintage motorcycle is unlikely to be something that I would make money on , somewhere down the road. She reinforced her view by stating it's just something he wants and there's no problem with that, as long as it doesn't bust the budget.

My wife is a pretty smart cookie...good looking too ...and she's dead right about 'investing' in old motorcycles or camera equipment. They're not investments, there just something I like. I have acquired Pentax equipment over the years because I like the brand, I like it's performance. But if Pentax rides out into the sunset...well I'll keep using my Pentax equipment till it breaks...then after it does that...I'll figure out Plan B.
11-02-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

The total Pentax gear that I have is either
1. Apsc purchased new, and I have a feeling most Pentax users have apsc gear because the k1 is recent and costs much more as a system
2. film-era that can be considered discontinued and "dead" even though it works wonderfully, bought all used
Discontinued doesn't mean much unless the new gear has something great, you'll find used cameras for your lenses for a long time, if the current cameras satisfy your requirements. I think they'd be crazy to stop making apsc cameras, but if they do, I'll be happy to use my apsc lenses on a future k1 with high enough resolution to crop, even the current 16mp would be plenty

Last edited by aaacb; 11-02-2018 at 03:41 PM.
11-02-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been shooting with Pentax gear for 36 years, starting with the ME Super 35mm film body bought new with a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 "M" lens. After some 7 years, I bought my first Pentax AF body and a couple of AF lenses, then around 7 years later I upgraded to the wonderful PZ-1p, which I still have. I also then bought other compact Pentax 35mm AF bodies as well, more lenses, including new FA Limiteds, which I also still have. I no longer have the ME Super, which I gave away still working fine, but all my other equipment has held up well, including several DSLR bodies and DA and DA* lenses.

The main thing is, the equipment has produced very fine results, and still keeps doing so. Newer models I get fit right in with older equipment. I would suggest, if the DA Limited lenses fill your needs and desires, go for it. And get the body that is best suited for such lenses and brings out their best potential and usability for you. What matters is you are happy with what you have and it fulfills your needs.

If I were a speculator and equipment trader, then such concerns as you bring up might affect me as well, but I think in the real world it amounts to needless worry.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-02-2018 at 04:00 PM.
11-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If the company were to fail, I would not want to stop using my Pentax cameras and lenses. In terms of their future years of use, the limiting factor might be the availability of new lithium batteries (e.g. D-Li109 and D-Li90), which are required to power not only the camera but also the more recent lenses. However, I would hope that those models will be around for at least a couple of decades, which should see me out!

Philip
11-02-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over time I have divested of lenses which I don't often (or never) use. What's left in my bag has paid for itself 10 time over (not in fees, I'm not a pro, but in pleasure and fun). I'm not agonizing over that anymore and if Pentax should one day cease to exist, I can probably keep shooting for another 3-5 years before technology advances to the point where I'm forced to buy into a new system.

What also helps is that I have no use for multiple overlapping focal-lengths and I have stopped schlepping around a bag full of lenses of which I will only use 2 on any given day. I either choose one prime for the job with one backup zoom for the unexpected or I cover a 16-190mm range with two zooms and a 1.4 converter (I'm not a great believer in superzooms beyond the 3-4x zoomrange).

Besides my "regular" lineup I have a few "special-purpose" lenses which get rarely picked for the job at hand but which I cannot do without such as the 8-16mm and 85mm Sigmas or the Samyang fisheye. That's about it - I do not want, nor need 30 lenses sitting around and anything I haven't used for a year must go.

I really don't have time for gear anxiety so I don't waste time worrying.
11-02-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Quite.

That’s a bold assertion for a man who’s of a similar age to me (“Very interesting – but stupid”)

I think we all live with the cognitive dissonance that lies between those two statements. I decided to retire when I was well past the normal age for doing so, after friends and relatives started dropping off the perch. Now, I’m not profligate with my money, but I generally don’t not do something simply because I might need the money in twenty years time.
I promised Tess I'd live to at least 90. She's not a woman you'd want to disappoint.
11-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really, what is the OP trying to achieve? If the answer requires full frame, then it makes no sense to acquire more DA lenses. There are wonderful FA and F lenses that will do most things really well as long as the lighting isn't harsh (or you feel compelled to shoot bare twigs against a blue sky). If the answer does not require full frame and you are shooting in harsh lighting situations, then of course, keep the gear you are using and add as you need it. You'll have the satisfaction of a lightweight kit that will do pretty much anything you need short of massive blowups. So while the market moves toward 3lb cameras and 3lb normal lenses with tripod mounts, you can just take pictures.