Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hedging your bets, or how do I not stress about buying Pentax lenses?

I love Pentax. I've been shooting with their DSLRs for 12 years and I regret none of it... The ergonomics, interesting lenses, custom features and reliable quality are all things I still appreciate.

I have been feeling some stress about expanding my lens collection recently, though, because of the way that the industry seems to be changing so rapidly. My particular problem is that I love the DA limited lenses and would love to collect them all, but without even an aperture ring I can't imagine I could recoup much on them should the flow of APS-C Pentax cameras cease for whatever reason.

So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty? Have you bought into a second system? Do these kind of thoughts affect what you decide to buy?

(For the record, I am implying nothing about Pentax in particular, just that there seem to be an insane number of systems and mounts right now and it doesn't feel sustainable to me)

11-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I discovered that Pentax still exists , it was all about lenses. Now I feel limitations of Pentax modern glass compare Nikon or Canon, especially when Sigma and Tamron don't make new lenses for Pentax any more. But now I fell in love with Pentax cameras instead, specifically with full frame. Not ready to move, I'm going to re-shape my lens setup. For ultra wide must have for Milky Way, I think either FDA 15-30 f2.8, or Laowa 12mm prime. Seems like 15-30mm is better solution for the money than just fixed 12mm prime.

I have no choice but buying Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, the last version Tamron made for Pentax. Price and weight wise. Anything in between is covered with FA77mm , a few 50mm lenses, and Tamron macro 90mm.
Never tired of my favorite DA*300mm with TC or without. I guess that's all I really need to stay with Pentax.

And when I'm tired of weight and lack of modern solutions, I will go to either Nikon, or Olympus. Not yet.
11-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both aps-c and full frame cameras. Due to the specific range that the aps-c bodies deal with, that provide distance as opposed to the full frame, I would not assume that the aps-c type camera would become obsolete. Also, due to the performance of the aps-c cameras that already exist, if someone was to purchase and have one of them for the future, it would most likely cover most needs of the user. I also find my full frame camera (K-1 II) to be a super performer, and for its specific category of range and shooting I love using it.
11-02-2018, 10:28 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Is your camera system an investment or a tool? If you want DA primes then get them. Life's too short.

11-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10 was the first DSLR I bought. I built a lens line-up I was VERY happy with. I ended up selling it all to move to Canon full frame with the 5D Mark II, maybe nine years ago. At that time, I bought what I thought was the best, and it definitely felt like it. While it's still an amazing camera, I felt like I wanted an upgrade. After a few weeks of researching new cameras, catching up with what had been going on in the last few years (mirrorless), read through several of the doom and gloom type articles and yesterdays I received two cameras in the mail:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II - Mirrorless, Micro Four Thirds (MFT)
Pentax K-1 - DSLR, Full Frame

These could be two very poor choices in a few years. People have been predicting the death of MFT for a few years now while Pentax has never been the biggest camera brand. Couple that with the meteoric rise of mirrorless FF starting with Sony and now Canon and Nikon. The camera industry seems to be in an interesting place and undergoing some really big changes. But changes take time. As long as you are happy with your current camera body, I would be confident in buying more Pentax glass. The DA limiteds were great when I had them and I even considered getting a KP but could not resist the deals on the K-1.
11-02-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s not something I worry about. My original DSLR, an *ist DL, was recently sold here to another forum member. It took pictures just as good as the day I purchased it. Given its age, my newer cameras have a few years to go before they become obsolete.

As I see it, a new camera model being released won’t make my current camera stop taking great pictures! Buy the lenses and enjoy the process of making pictures.
11-02-2018, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
My particular problem is that I love the DA limited lenses and would love to collect them all, but without even an aperture ring I can't imagine I could recoup much on them
If Pentax closed up shop tomorrow, the first thing I would do is buy a couple of bodies and all the second hand lenses I wanted but did not own. Your lenses will not be worthless overnight. The M42 mount became obsolete almost 50 years ago but I don't see many screw mount Takumars being thrown away.

So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty?
Give up photography if things like this set your nerves on edge. How on earth do you cope with buying a new car ?
11-02-2018, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an adapter for m43 that allows continous aperture control from wide open to minimum. The same type of adapter is available for Sony e mount etc.

11-02-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax forever

at least until the end of next week

give or take a number of years
11-02-2018, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If Pentax closed up shop tomorrow, the first thing I would do is buy a couple of bodies and all the second hand lenses I wanted but did not own.
If Pentax closed shop tomorrow, the first thing I would do is buy a couple new bodies, (low shutter count = longest possible life expectancy).
Then I'd wait for the panicky folk to start selling gear and >then< scoop up all the lenses I wanted but didn't yet own.

Those DA Limiteds will continue to work with Pentax DSLRs for many years to come, regardless whether new bodies are being made.
They work, (and will continue to work), with not only APS-C but also on the FF K-1 and with an adapter on the Q system. I personally
own two DA Limiteds, (35 Macro and 15mm), and they are among my most frequently used lenses. I suggest you pick one in the
focal length you need most and give it a try. My guess is you'll love the lens and will find yourself pining for more.
11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Even if pentax died today, someone would make autofocus adapters for k-mount lenses on E mount / m4/3. I think the lenses are the safest investment of any brand.
11-02-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shoot with the gear you shoot with to get the shots you like to take until it doesn't work for you anymore.
11-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think with time Pentax will have a full range of modern full frame lenses. I'm personally pretty close to a complete kit, just waiting on the 70-200 f4, to swap my Tamron out, and maybe get the beautiful 77 1.8 or new 85 1.4 when that's out for portraits. Kit is not perfect, there are things I'd like to swap out if opportunity arrives (swapping 15-30 2.8 to an f4 zoom for weight for example), but even my current kit works for me, and allows me to shoot pretty much anything I want. Chasing newest gear is a long roads, and covered by thorns. We'll probably never have newest and shiniest toys from Sigma, Tamron and tokina, but hopefully in few years we'll have our own unique toys that others don't have

Edit: just noticed OP's is probably talking about apsc gear, it seems Pentax has the biggest line up of apsc gear, so it's the users from other systems that should envy you) Most of the modern development is aimed at FF, so Pentax will likely stay as the biggest collection of APSC lenses. Pretty sure K-3 III will come out in near future, and it'll be a monster you've been waiting for
11-02-2018, 11:36 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I just don't resonate at all with the concern. If Pentax dies to day, my gear will still work for years. I'll have lots of time to save up for a new system.
11-02-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

So, does anyone have any strategies for coping with this uncertainty? Have you bought into a second system?
My strategy is to accept that neither I nor anyone else can accurately predict the future. Sure, Pentax might go under, but that can also happen to other companies. A company that looks great today can die tomorrow due to an accounting scandal or other reasons. Pentax does a good job of meeting my current photo needs.

I have a minor second system because it fills a gap rather than because of Pentax' future. Micro 43 is a much smaller system for when my K-1 is too bulky. My m43 lenses were picked with size in mind.