Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaredemic Quote
so in other words I can't utilize CIF without holding a button on my camera
I think you misunderstood MrApollinax who wrote:
“Try holding the AF button down while tripping the shutter switch on your cable.”

Hold the AF button on your DIY shutter release cable and then flip your DIY shutter release switch. If this works, then consider adding an AF switch in parallel with your DIY shutter release AF button. This would allow you to simulate what happens when you press and hold the camera’s button: the AF contacts close before shutter contacts and stay closed all the time the button is held.

I have done Trap Focus with my K100D which does not have a "catch-in-focus" mode. I used the Pentax cable release which is simply a dual action button, the AF contacts close slightly before the shutter contacts. It has a locking device for long exposure. I wrote a procedure in the thread, "Trap Focus Setup for K100D" here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/16946-trap-focus-setup-k100d.html

I’ve made two DIY cables for computer control and found you don’t need to use the AF contact for long exposure imaging in manual focus. I found you can not simply short the AF and shutter contacts and treat them as one.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 03-29-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: minor touch up
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Success! that worked perfectly
thanks so much for clearing that up.
I think instead of getting the soldering iron out (we're not good friends) and re-wiring my cable, the easiest way to work it would simply holding the AF button down with possibly a rubberband and flicking the shutter switch. Then it should work "hands free"

thanks again!

Last edited by Jaredemic; 03-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #48
Inactive Account

[Apparently I'm a thread-killer]

Update: I made a separate cable release exclusively for CIF. Used a mini-micro toggle switch and soldered the shutter and AF trigger wires together and toggled the release wire.

Works like a dream, you just have to play with it while you wire it to make sure it will actually shut off, there are a few ways to wire it that work constantly but only one way (i found) to be able to turn it on/off.
04-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
(snip) One thing that might compensate for the low fps (for my applications) would be this "catch-in-focus" that I have heard about. (snip)

The solution to slow auto-focus is as old as auto-focus itself - prefocus on the desired point and snap the shutter when your subject enters that point (virtually the same thing as "catch-in focus," except done by you). With a single image, it's simply a matter of pressing the shutter release button halfway down to lock the focus (that's why this feature exists) and then the rest of the way down to capture your subject. With multiple images, prefocus on the desired point and then set you camera's focus mode to manual. In both cases, use a wide depth-of-field to ensure all of your subject is in focus. If your subject is moving towards or away with multiple images, than learn to manually focus on the fly (a common photo skill, one reason why lenses have a manual focus ring). Again, use a wide depth-of-field to ensure your subject remains in focus while on the move.

stewart