Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with a couple of points brought up here:

1) Catch-in-focus (CIF) demands centering your subject
- The higher resolution of the K20D sensor helps here. I find my cropping leeway much improved over the K10D.

2) Using old MF lenses with CIF on K20D
- Works for me. Having an old MF lens mounted is the same as switching your fancy DA* lens to MF.

Jack

02-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Unlike the K10D, on the K20D catch-in-focus will work with an AF lens that has a MF/AF switch on it. Set the lens to MF, the body to AF and catch-in-focus works. On my K10D, only MF lenses will use the old snap-in-focus system.
Ah, I see; thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't think I'ver ever seen a lens with an AF/MF switch.
02-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Suppose you were on the side of a freeway shooting (from a tripod) at 200mm F2.8 as cars were driving towards you and you had set manual focus at a distance that would fill the frame. What percentage of shots would come out sharp?
That is tall order for a 200mm at F2.8 and you have to do manual focus.

I would consider myself a MF shooter as I do MF even in bird in flight shots.

But here is a series of shots taken yesterday with DA200mm and K20D

Actions shots DA200mm - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Daniel
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
That is tall order for a 200mm at F2.8 and you have to do manual focus.

I would consider myself a MF shooter as I do MF even in bird in flight shots.

But here is a series of shots taken yesterday with DA200mm and K20D

Actions shots DA200mm - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Daniel
Nice action shots, Daniel. Did you focus these manually or let the camera do it, and if the latter, did you use AF-S or AF-C? Thanks for your response.

CN

02-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
Inactive Account

I have a new K200d, my first non-film SLR. I have tried CIF in macro on frost on windowpanes Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and I do not know why. It would be mighty handy when shooting macro/micro if it would be consistant. I have probably used it with both the II version kit lens and my old Vivtar f4 70-210. I normally prefer manual focus because I'm used to it, and disgusted with auto focus on p&s not locking on what -I- want to be in focus. (Yes, my next intentional purchase is a split-prism focuser - I'm old-school, probably because that is all I know so far.
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
Nice action shots, Daniel. Did you focus these manually or let the camera do it, and if the latter, did you use AF-S or AF-C? Thanks for your response.

CN
Thanks. I did AFC burst mode and M metering. I pointed to the direction of the subject, fired in burst and followed the subject movement

Daniel
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
Inactive Account

I currently have a K200D and have been lusting over zeiss lens for months now.... The problem is that I'm worried about having hard time manual focusing on this camera with a small viewfinder. I prefer not to install katz eye and thought maybe this "catch-in-focus" device will work out great.

I don't have any mf or af lens with af/mf switch around me and can't test it out. Will someone please chime in and tell me some of your experience on manual focusing using this technique? Is manual focusing going to be a breeze which what I'm thinking of? like simply depress the shutter button and turn the focus ring and BAM! there is ur sharp pic?

02-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #38

I was playing with a couple of manual lenses last night for the first time on my K20 and I noticed something. My little 28mm f2 manual did focus trapping/catch-in/call-it-whatever very nicely like it always has, but my 500mm cat lens didn't, the shutter would fire whether it was focused or not. Does anyone know why this might be?
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentoxic Quote
I don't have any mf or af lens with af/mf switch around me and can't test it out. Will someone please chime in and tell me some of your experience on manual focusing using this technique? Is manual focusing going to be a breeze which what I'm thinking of? like simply depress the shutter button and turn the focus ring and BAM! there is ur sharp pic?
Frankly, no. You have to turn the focus ring slowly enough that you don't overshoot the point of best focus before everything falls into place, and you have to be that much more careful to hold the camera steady. And it only works with the center focus point. It's a useful trick, but it's not going to be a general replacement for manual focusing.

On the other hand, I don't find manual for that difficult on the K200D. It's easier for me with telephoto lenses because they magnify the image more, but wide angle lenses have more DOF, so getting "optimal" focus is less crucial. I've gone back and forth on the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, but my current thinking is that it *does* help, even if the difference isn't hugely obvious.

And of course, any reasonably fast MF prime is gong to produce a brighter viewfinder image than your typical slow zoom (eg, the kit lens), which also helps. As does the fact that a lens *designed* to be used focused manually usually has a *much* better focus ring than your typical AF lens. The throw is longer and there is good resistance, allowing more precise movements. Don't gauge your ability to MF on your experience with the kit lens - a good MF lens will be *much* easier to focus manually than that.
02-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Yes, it'll do just that but only with manual only lenses or if you place a piece of paper between the contacts of the lens and camera for af lenses.

As you turn the focus ring and hold the shutter button pressed the camera will fire only when the subject in the center will be in focus.

Disadvantages:

If you use very slow shutter speeds it might not work as when the subject is in focus, the camera fires, and as the shutter is still opened you might not react that fast and you still keep turning the focusing ring.

This won't work if you want your subject to be off the center because if you recompose you have to have the camera set to MF so that it would fire when the centerpoint is off focus.
I just found some of these remarks interesting so I am giving the thread a bump in hopes that someone else will also find some information.
03-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #41
Inactive Account

So, I been wodering about this elusive CIF mode on my new K20D. I can get it to work properly only when I hold my finger on the shtter button, my cable release just fires and fires no matter what I do.
Now the issue may be that I have a homemade shutter release. Am I doing something wrong or is there something special about the much more expensive manufactured shutter releases?

I am using MF SMC 50mm lens.
03-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Does your cable release activate AF? I just figured out recently why trap focus wasn't working on my K100D. I de-coupled AF from the shutter button. So once I activate AF trap focus works again.
03-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Does your cable release activate AF? I just figured out recently why trap focus wasn't working on my K100D. I de-coupled AF from the shutter button. So once I activate AF trap focus works again.
No, I made my release with 3 functions, Shutter release, separate AF button, and a Shutter switch.

I've tried the switch, which in theory should be = to holding the shutter button down, but this just activates the shutter over and over (Cont. shooting mode). The same thing happens when I hold down the sutter button (on the cable)

However CIF does work the way it is supposed to if I hold the main shutter button down. Very frustrating

I'd be willing to dish out the cash for a factory cable release but I'm pretty sure it works the same way as my DIY release just with prettier packaging.
03-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Try holding the AF button down while tripping the shutter switch on your cable. I'm guessing the actual shutter button on the camera activates AF while your switch does not. With my AF tied to the "OK" button my shutter button will just active the shutter regardless if the subject is in focus or not. For Trap Focus to work AF must signal focus lock before the shutter activates otherwise it will just fire.
03-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #45
Inactive Account

so in other words I can't utilize CIF without holding a button on my camera thus negating the need for a cable release.
This will work when shooting handheld macro but if I wanted to set up my camera and frame a treebranch in hopes of catching a bird, etc. then, say, take a nap in the shade ...this will not work for me right?

Do the factory cable releases activate AF when the the button is locked?
I love my DIY release but if this works it's definitley a sound investment afterall

Last edited by Jaredemic; 03-29-2009 at 09:04 AM.