Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #1

Replacement ist DL

Hello,

i need some help. The pentax ist DL off my dad died on me during my move. The electronics are busted, and a fix would cost the same as a new device they said.
Also people here are not so found on pentax.
What modern device can i buy to replace the body of my pentax ist DL?
I want one that i can fit all the old lenses off my dad on. He uses lenses from back in the 80's. thats why he bought this camera.
Would be a shame to have to buy all new gear when its only the body that broken

Can anybody advise please?

kind regards

11-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Any second-hand Pentax DSLR will serve your purpose, if you want to buy new, the K-70 is the "economy" model at the moment, although, personally, I find it a little cramped for my larger-sized right hand compared to earlier models like the *ist

Good luck
11-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a ton of options because Pentax cameras are built to use all the old Pentax lenses. Right now KEH has a 20% on three used models with the K-5 being the best buy in the lot (as a step WAY up from the *ist) at $257 before the 20% off coupon (CAM11)
Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {16.3 M/P} at KEH Camera Store

So, with the 20% off coupon it saves you $51.40 and the camera costs 205.60 with free shipping. KEH is WELL regarded as both honest about the condition of their gear and good about handling any problems (few in my experience) that might occur.

Welcome aboard and good luck.
11-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
thx for the swift and fast reply. its very usefull

11-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concur on the KEH recommendation. Current 20% off coupon is a good deal. Use the code to get the 20% off.
11-07-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would buy a used K-5ii, K-3 or a new K-P. So You can avoid the solenoid failure the K-30 (K-S1, K-S2, K-50, K-70) tend to develop from time to time. The K-P is one of the best (if not the best) APS-C reflex cameras You can get.

Regards
Stephan
11-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ColonneD Quote
Hello,

i need some help. The pentax ist DL off my dad died on me during my move. The electronics are busted, and a fix would cost the same as a new device they said.
Also people here are not so found on pentax.
What modern device can i buy to replace the body of my pentax ist DL?
I want one that i can fit all the old lenses off my dad on. He uses lenses from back in the 80's. thats why he bought this camera.
Would be a shame to have to buy all new gear when its only the body that broken

Can anybody advise please?

kind regards
Every Pentax has the same great backwards-compatibility, so you'll be able to use your old lenses as well as new ones. I'd recommend getting one of the high-durability bodies, like the K-3, K-5, or KP, as also recommended above. Another great option (from a feature standpoint) is the K-70, which you can get new with warranty at an affordable price.

All of these cameras will blow the DL out of the water in just about every area. If you're on a budget, get a K-5 II, which is probably the best value second-hand at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be of interest to know just which lenses you own.

If you go for the more pro-style K-5 or K-3 series, I would recommend at least going for the last of the K-5 series, the K-5 IIs. I do recommend going for this category type when buying used, because they are of more durable construction. The K-5 II came with an advancement in auto focus (AF) over the original K-5, and the IIs eliminated the AA filter for greater image detail. None of the current Pentax models, or any after the K-5 IIs employ this filter. The filter introduces a slight blur to camouflage moire coloring which can occur in images having repeating patterns of a certain type, but this does not happen often, and there are software programs that can do a good job of eliminating the effect in post processing.

With the ist-DL, it would seem that at least some of your lenses would be of the AF type.

Even if all of your old lenses are manual focus (MF), it is certainly possible, even likely, that you will also want to at some point add a more updated lens having certain benefits as well. So a camera body that would perform to the standards possible with such a lens would be a logical choice. Actually, to get the benefit of the latest PLM AF technology, you'd need to get into at least the K-3 series, the K-70, or the KP. But of all the very fine up-to-date, and the classic Pentax AF lenses, there has been only one issued having this type of AF, a newer 55-300mm telephoto zoom lens. Other newer lenses have so far stuck with more traditional AF types and work fine with K-5 series bodies and older.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-07-2018 at 04:37 PM.
11-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I went from the ist-DL to the Pentax K-5 and had no problems with the change-over: similar menu system and all my lenses and flashes worked. With the step up in resolution and sensor quality, even the K-5 will be a big improvement. My next step up was to the K-1, so I am not familiar with the K-3 or other models that came after the K-5. I would go for one of the models with the built-in flash—nice to have the flash when you need it!
11-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have a 1stD, 1st DS and a 1st DL. Plus my recently purchased K -3II. Yours lens from the 80's will work on all of the Pentax digital cameras, much the same as they work on the DL. To me the K-3, K-3II menu is very similar to the DL, an easy transition for a camera upgrade.