Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

I'm Close with the K1 but??

Hello All,
I have been using my friend's K1 for a few days and what a great piece of gear. I like the control knobs on the outside of the camera for common settings and not having to go into the menu. I have been using the K1 for landscape and astrophotography (with limited success) but still having fun. While it has been discussed before the camera is heavy even with the old glass I have been using on it.

I am struggling with the idea of getting a K3 MKii to ad to the fleet or stay with the heavy but wonderful performing K 1. I use it mostly on a tripod with very few hand held shots. I have a Fuji X70 that I use for street photography and a Sony RX 100v for travel and family/pet photos.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Mike

11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
Hello All,
I have been using my friend's K1 for a few days and what a great piece of gear. I like the control knobs on the outside of the camera for common settings and not having to go into the menu. I have been using the K1 for landscape and astrophotography (with limited success) but still having fun. While it has been discussed before the camera is heavy even with the old glass I have been using on it.

I am struggling with the idea of getting a K3 MKii to ad to the fleet or stay with the heavy but wonderful performing K 1. I use it mostly on a tripod with very few hand held shots. I have a Fuji X70 that I use for street photography and a Sony RX 100v for travel and family/pet photos.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Mike
Unless you want to shoot action or wildlife in long bursts, the K-P is currently the most technically advanced APS-c body. The K-1 has been called the best landscape camera in the world. The KP doesn't share those kinds of accolades. You may be confusing yourself here.

Advantages of the K-P
Fllppy back screen for low and high angle shots in Live View.
Accelerator chip for the same high ISO noise performance as a K-1 (but of course, not the same dynamic range or resolution.)
More advanced AF system.

I love my K-3, but it's getting a little long in the tooth, and the K-3ii is just an incremental update.

Looking at your list of cameras, you need to ask yourself what you are looking for. What is the cameras intended use?

Last edited by normhead; 11-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.
11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting mostly from tripod what is the main issue? Is the weight just too much? Is the bulk too much to cart around? I'm personally a bit put off by the weight but most of my shooting doesn't happen on the tripod. Some does of course.
11-08-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you are shooting mostly from tripod what is the main issue? Is the weight just too much? Is the bulk too much to cart around? I'm personally a bit put off by the weight but most of my shooting doesn't happen on the tripod. Some does of course.
I shoot most of my landscape shooting hand held. Shooting from a tripod is in most cases a complete waste of the SR system. There are times when my shutter speed gets to be so low that I use a tripod, and I usually carry one just in case, but it's rare I use it. I find more images taken from different angles to be far superior to using tripod set for many images. There's only so much time in a day.

You can spend it taking pictures, or you can spend it messing around with a tripod.

Last edited by normhead; 11-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.
11-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I shoot most of my landscape shooting hand held. Shooting from a tripod is in most cases a complete waste of the SR system. There are times when my shutter speed gets to be so low that I use a tripod, and I usually carry one just in case, but it's rare I use it. I find more images taken from different angles to be far superior to using tripod set for many images. There's only so much time in day.
I'm similar. I was remarking that the OP suggested they shot mostly from tripod - that's not my method either. Occasionally after shooting various places around a subject I will setup my tripod where I have my best framing and subject interest and try a few from the tripod. This happens mainly when I'm car based. I will get out and scout about and then go back and grab the pod for a few shots. Sometimes this allows for better exposure options in fading light etc. But like you I find that moving about and taking the time to find my favorite angle and position is easier and more productive with the camera off the tripod.
11-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am wondering that if long term the weight of the K1 will be a prohibitive , the photos from the camera are amazing. I have carried the K 1 around for a few days and while sometimes I think about the weight, the photos make it all worthwhile. I have been doing some nightscapes with the k1 as well which it seems well adapted to. The onboard led lights are good at night for changing settings and lens changes.

This will be my camera for landscape and astrophotography. My small cameras are what I take on everything else. Would I get the same performance from an APS-C sensor I guess is the real question? I don't have enough experience to answer that question on my own.

Mike
11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Same here. I only really use the tripod for pixel shift photos.
11-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also primarily shoot hand held.

Having used the K-1 for weddings, I did not find the weight prohibitive. But I’ll add, I was primarily using primes with the K-1, including the FA Limiteds and the DA* 200. I had the K-3 with the 50-135, which made for a very nice 2 camera set-up.

I would agree with norm that if you are concerned with weight, look at the KP. My K-3 is also getting a bit long in the tooth and I’m very seriously considering the KP.

11-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree with Norm and twilhelm. The KP was designed with the goal of being as close as possible to performance of the K-1. When it appeared, tests and reviews acclaimed it to be remarkably successful in that goal. Even its controls layout is similar. For compactness, it is short of one or two dedicated on-body controls, so some of the buttons are programmable for dual-use, but otherwise very much in the same style, and includes an upgrade of sorts. The KP is even more compact and lighter than the K-3 II and its performance, especially for low light/high ISO is superior. It is also often used as the APS-C companion to ownership of the K-1. It does not have the handy lighting for controls, however. That also costs size and weight.

Its resolution is actually incredibly fine. It may not have been called the best landscape camera in the world, but it is close to the best, and because of its compact design it is one helluva field camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.
11-08-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

...This will be my camera for landscape and astrophotography. My small cameras are what I take on everything else. Would I get the same performance from an APS-C sensor I guess is the real question? I don't have enough experience to answer that question on my own.
K-1 excels at landscapes and astro. APS-C will lag behind in terms of noise, but it depends a lot on your sky conditions and how large you might print. For on-screen viewing it's difficult to spot differences between the FF K-1 and APS-C KP.

Earlier you mentioned K-3. Not for astro. If camera weight is a concern that steers you away from the K-1, pick the K-70 (no astrotracer) or KP (has astrotracer).
11-08-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go with the K1. Get a Black Rapid Sport Breath strap and do not look back. The K1 is going fast at some pretty good prices lately and will not be around much longer. The only new options soon may be the K1-II. I have both and somewhat regret not sending in my K1 for the upgrade. I spent 4 days in Yellowstone earlier this year and carried a K1 with the battery pack mounted and it did not bother me. FWIW, I am a 67 year old somewhat out of shape grandpa.

When I got my K1 in May 2016 I found it an amazing camera. The first DSLR that I have owned that made me stop missing film. That includes the K5, K5-IIs and the K3. The detail in the images is amazing.
11-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I have to survive on my K3 II while K-1 is in service. There really is no comparison: K3 II may be very nice, but K-1 is pure joy. From simply looking through the viewfinder to the rich final image, K-1 is one big leap you take in one direction only. Too bad Ricoh and Precision Camera are keeping me preciousless for this long, I'm feeling incomplete.
11-08-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Imho the K1 has no real competition. I came to the conclusion that it makes more sense to shave off weight everywhere but the K1 and good glass.
11-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Another plus for the KP is by adding the optional battery grip, you get a much greater battery life between charges, even more than a K-3 II, and then it still weighs about the same as the K-3 II without its battery grip, while there is also no comparison in low light image performance. It then also has the duplicate controls for prolonged vertical shooting. This leaves the only practical deficit being less buffer depth. But if one rarely, if ever, does burst shooting, this matters not.

Test reviews of the KP have found exceptional resolution and overall performance even with jpegs right out of the camera, including exceptionally low noise, and high dynamic range, with the caveat that "Fine Sharpening" be implemented in the Custom Image menus. Recommendations are for +1 level and "Fine Sharpening" also. The +1 level is default in the "Bright" palette category, where the camera is normally set, so in this case only adding the "Fine Sharpening" need be done.

I still love my K-5 IIs, which is no slouch, but I've been getting amazingly sharp and detailed results from my KP, and also wonderful low light results, with much less need for post process work.
11-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello All,

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Mike
Welcome to the forum Mike.
It's not that heavy. And it is a big step up from the K-3ii in my view.
Kind regards,
Mark