Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

Metering Settings

Hey all, just recently downloaded the K-70 eBook and have been reading through it. One area of photography that I haven't really dove into yet is metering. I see a few setting options and recommendations in the eBook and am looking for thoughts / opinions on it.

1. It recommends turning "Link AE and AF Point" to on so that the metering is always leaning towards the focus point.
2. It recommends turning "AE-L with AF Locked" on so that auto exposure is locked every time auto focus is locked.

Both of those are set to off by default. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this and whether or not this is the consensus for these settings. Lastly, what does everyone typically use for meter operating time? It's set at 10 seconds by default.

Last edited by Josbor11; 11-09-2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added details
11-09-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Josbor11 Quote
Both of those are set to off by default. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this and whether or not this is the consensus for these settings.
My opinions on these two settings is based on personal preference for my work flow and years of fielding help requests on this site:

Link AE with AF point? This is a common cause of exposure confusion and mishap. While it sounds good, actual results are unpredictable. There is a reason why it is OFF by default.

Lock AE with AF? As long as the user remains aware of this setting, it can be valuable, though it is not useful for those who focus and recompose. I personally prefer to manage exposure and focus separately to avoid surprise and ruined shots. Again, the default to OFF is a good clue that the feature may not be advisable for general use. Whether it makes sense to turn on depends on how one works and (IMHO) is best included as part of a User mode and not a general setting.

To balance the K-70 eBook, the detailed review here on Pentax Forums also has a list of recommended settings. The review author(s) leave both settings at their defaults.

Pentax K-70 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by Josbor11 Quote
Lastly, what does everyone typically use for meter operating time? It's set at 10 seconds by default.
I have been happy with the default 10s with my cameras.

Steve
11-09-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What he said /\ /\ /\

The meter operating time is simply how long it stays on after you release the shutter button half-press. Never found the need to change mine from default either
11-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To balance the K-70 eBook, the detailed review here on Pentax Forums also has a list of recommended settings. The review author(s) leave both settings at their defaults.

Pentax K-70 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have been happy with the default 10s with my cameras.

Steve
Thanks for chiming in, I will leave them as they are. Not sure how I missed the recommended settings review, thanks for that link!

11-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Generally I agree with stevebrot and pschlute.
I use center spot for AF, and matrix measurement for lenses which support it (if they don't, locking EA with AF wouldn't make much sense anyway).
And because I use center for AF, I always recompose - this is also a habit automatically taken over from non-AF SLR times. And then AE-AF lock would make even less sense.
11-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another small note...Doing extensive setting customization makes it more difficult to sort user error from configuration side-effect. I can only think of a handful of deviations from the defaults that make sense for a new user. These are:

Record mode:
  • Consider shooting RAW, and if so use DNG. The value of DNG over PEF is debatable, but makes life easier if using other than current Adobe products
  • Lens corrections OFF (they slow image processing and can be applied later in post-processing if needed)
  • Lengthen instant review time to 3 seconds

Playback mode:Q
  • Quick zoom enabled to 100% for easy pixel peeping
Custom:
  • EV steps = 1/3 stop
  • Enable Catch-in-Focus...no penalty or side-effect for this feature used with manual focus lenses
  • Enable Aperture Ring...no penalty or side-effect for this feature required for using many vintage lenses
I left out the set-up stuff since those are all done per need. I also left out movie settings.

Steve