Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Downloading Images from Camera : Options?

I'm well aware of many/most of the various options to get my pictures from my camera(s) to my computer, but I was just wondering if I'm actually "doing it right"?

Ever since my first digital camera (present to self, Christmas 2000), I've religiously removed the data card from the camera in question, put it into a card reader in my computer and moved the image files to the computer before refitting the now empty card back into the camera for further use.

Is there any advantage to leaving the card in the camera and copying via the USB port (not an option on at least one body, the port appears to be faulty) or indeed using the Wi-Fi feature on my K-70 (for which I may have to get further hardware support to be able to use it).

I don't have a "smart" phone of any description and my Windows laptop is a little past it's "Best Before" date, though it does have Wi-Fi, when it's in a good mood My reasonably competent desktop computer doesn't have Wi-Fi. Should I be satisfied with what I've got or should I be considering some sort of "upgrade"?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments

11-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wi-Fi isn't fast for image transfers, but you can use this program if you're interested in playing with it (and also controlling the camera remotely):

Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Is there any advantage to leaving the card in the camera and copying via the USB port (not an option on at least one body, the port appears to be faulty) or indeed using the Wi-Fi feature on my K-70 (for which I may have to get further hardware support to be able to use it).
It reduces physical wear on the card- so unless you're transferring a LOT, you shouldn't need to use USB.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2018, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one advantage of using the USB cable rather than pulling the card:
you'll never attempt to use the camera without the card in it...
11-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wi-Fi isn't fast for image transfers
That's something I don't understand when comparing to NAS over WiFi. WiFi transfer should allow fast image transfer, something like 1 x 36Mp image / sec. But when using camera WiFi we are far from that figure.

11-15-2018, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Should I be satisfied with what I've got or should I be considering some sort of "upgrade"?
You are doing image transfer from the camera the fastest, simplest and most reliable way.

A modest upgrade to your current procedure may be:
  • use the fastest SD cards you can in the camera (eg Sandisk Extreme Pro's or similar);
  • use a fast SD card reader (eg the Kingston MobileLite G4);
  • use a USB 3 capable USB slot in your computer, or install one.
All of the above can speed up copying files considerably.
11-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thankyou all for the concise and detailed replies
Good tip about using USB to save not having a card in the camera ... I'd learnt that lesson, fortunately I do carry a spare card "just in case" so no loss
My K-70 had a SanDisk Ultra 64GB 80MB/s supplied with it (bundled deal) which seems perfectly fast enough for what I need. I'll certainly consider a USB3 reader in the future if I need the improvement.
I think my real "worries" were that which stood the worst chance of being worn/damaged by repeated plugging and unplugging, the card slot or the USB socket ... in reality it's probably about 50/50
That WiFi Commander looks fun! I've tried it briefly and it does work with my antiquated laptop, so I may get some use out of it, sat in the car with the camera outside on a tripod
11-15-2018, 05:57 AM   #7

Advantages of using card reader:
  • faster transfer rate (depends on connection and speed of card reader)
  • less chance of loss of files due to battery depletion during transfer

Disadvantages:
  • wear on card and card slots
  • possible corruption of card if not ejected properly via OS
  • might forget to put card back into camera before shooting

11-15-2018, 06:06 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

When transferring by taking the card out of my camera, I leave the camera on my desk and the card door open as a reminder the card is out. I put the card back in as soon as transfer completes.

Image transfer via USB or Wi-Fi on the K-1 is too slow. Card transfers are much faster.
11-15-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Image transfer vie USB if a lot of photos are transferred causes battery drain too. I use a card reader and like DeadJohn, leave the door open on the camera, so I know to put the card back in the camera after ejecting it from the reader.
11-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I've never seen a card or card slot get "worn out" from inserting and ejecting the card. I've even had cards go through the laundry which worked fine after allowed to dry for several days.
11-15-2018, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever since my first digital camera (present to self, Christmas 2000), I've religiously removed the data card from the camera in question, put it into a card reader in my computer and moved the image files to the computer before refitting the now empty card back into the camera for further use.
I think you are using the best process with one simple change. Don't Move the files to the computer, Copy them instead. Then you can scan them on the pc to make sure the transfer went correctly and if not, you can do it again on those that were missed or corrupted. When proper and complete Copy is confirmed, just format the card in the camera. Leaving the door on the card slot open in the camera is more good advice you already received.
11-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I think you are using the best process with one simple change. Don't Move the files to the computer, Copy them instead. Then you can scan them on the pc to make sure the transfer went correctly and if not, you can do it again on those that were missed or corrupted. When proper and complete Copy is confirmed, just format the card in the camera. Leaving the door on the card slot open in the camera is more good advice you already received.
What he said!
Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-15-2018 at 07:49 AM.
11-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
All good stuff ... thanks again

I'd already figured the "door open" reminder for myself and have been using it for some years, but it's nice to know it's not just me that forgets these things!

Appreciate the "Copy rather than Move" suggestion, very sensible and one I'd not really considered - time for a little personal retraining
11-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just some thoughts

1 as suggested, copy the data on the card and place copy on computer, retaining originals on card

2 after checking the transfer, format the card in the camera, not on the computer

3 I copy directly onto an external hard drive via the computer - lets me keep the computer faster and

allows me to survive a computer memory foul up

4 consider some other method of having a remote back up of selected photos, I am using Flickr.com
11-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's something I don't understand when comparing to NAS over WiFi. WiFi transfer should allow fast image transfer, something like 1 x 36Mp image / sec. But when using camera WiFi we are far from that figure.
The camera's WiFi is optimized for low power consumption, and even then it's still using tech far slower than what you'd find in a PC or phone. About 0.5-1 Mb/s is what you get in practice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: