Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My image file management routine

I copy my files from the SD card to my laptop hard drive using Faststone Image Viewer (its the closest to the old windows XP photo downloader which I loved) based on the date of copy. I then use a program called PhotoMove to distribute the files based on date of capture and camera which PhotoMove can be set up to easily do. After distributing the files I format the SD card in camera. I use FastRaw Viewer to cull my distributed files and then on a monthly basis move the original copies to external hard drives and I remove the original copies from my laptop hard drive to save space.

11-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I already have the software, and on my other computer, I use LibreOffice. So don't need the free ??? version. I don't think Microsoft is free anything, you don't own anything from Microsoft you're only renting it.
The reason I wrote that it might be useful for "some" is that due to my business, it's best for me to have the most current Office suite (compatibility, collaboration, etc with client systems and files). So with my three computers, tablet, cell phone and my wife's laptop, 100 bucks a year for keeping the office suite up to date is a bargain. The free part to which I referred (tongue in cheek) is that they also include the TB of storage. Some, but not you obviously, might be helped by knowing about that. FWIW, I tried LibreOffice, it didn't work out for me and my business: too many instances of incompatibility.
11-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think Microsoft is free anything, you don't own anything from Microsoft you're only renting it.
Unless you write it yourself, you don't "own" any software. You own a license to use the software. The license often comes with stipulations called out in the EULA, one of which is often that the license can be revoked by the actual software owner.
11-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Having started this thread I thought I'd post a quick update. It would appear that my original question was, in part, redundant anyway, as I don't have a USB cable to fit the K-70, there's not one in the box and the USB cables supplied with my previous Pentax cameras (as with my long-serving cable release) no longer function with the K-70 (different plug and socket).

A cost cutting exercise or a revenue-generating scheme?

11-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't have a USB cable to fit the K-70, there's not one in the box .
It's just a standard micro b usb cable as used on practically all Android phones and most other consumer electronic devices. You probably have one close by.
11-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Unless you write it yourself, you don't "own" any software. You own a license to use the software. The license often comes with stipulations called out in the EULA, one of which is often that the license can be revoked by the actual software owner.
And the exact reason for my statement.
11-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #37
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
When transferring by taking the card out of my camera, I leave the camera on my desk and the card door open as a reminder the card is out. I put the card back in as soon as transfer completes.
I'd do that, too, except for the fact that I'm certain I'd do something that would result in a busted door.

11-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
The reason I wrote that it might be useful for "some" is that due to my business, it's best for me to have the most current Office suite (compatibility, collaboration, etc with client systems and files). So with my three computers, tablet, cell phone and my wife's laptop, 100 bucks a year for keeping the office suite up to date is a bargain. The free part to which I referred (tongue in cheek) is that they also include the TB of storage. Some, but not you obviously, might be helped by knowing about that. FWIW, I tried LibreOffice, it didn't work out for me and my business: too many instances of incompatibility.
Well, for your sake, I hope you don't rely solely on cloud storage. I use flickr, but all my photos are stored else where too.
But I also have the hard copy of Office. Not just LibreOffice.
11-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, for your sake, I hope you don't rely solely on cloud storage
OneDrive is configured as folders on my hard drives. They synchronize with my computers and the cloud. It's very safe. I use a similar system for client files. Things are backed up to multiple locations and the cloud and available to multiple devices.
11-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the exact reason for my statement.
You originally stated: "...you don't own anything from Microsoft you're only renting it" which seemed to single out Microsoft as being unique in this regard. My response was to point out that you don't own any software that you have not created yourself, not just that from Microsoft. I think we're on the same wavelength, but I just wanted to clarify for the casual reader.
11-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's just a standard micro b usb cable as used on practically all Android phones and most other consumer electronic devices. You probably have one close by.
Nope! Never had an Android phone, don't anticipate ever needing one.

I've got at least half a dozen USB cables with different miniature plugs on one end + several duplicates, which would have come with different hardware over the years, from Sony, Pentax, Apple, Samsung and the like, so at least some of them were considered a "standard" at one point ... just not this "standard" ... more expense
11-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Nope! Never had an Android phone, don't anticipate ever needing one.

I've got at least half a dozen USB cables with different miniature plugs on one end + several duplicates, which would have come with different hardware over the years, from Sony, Pentax, Apple, Samsung and the like, so at least some of them were considered a "standard" at one point ... just not this "standard" ... more expense
I'm not sure how many "standard USB" endings exist; yesterday I purchased a Phillips package of four adapters - and none of them fit my Q-7.
I believe all these "standards" - plus more - were/are active at the same point in time.
I believe I did purchase one of these at some time, but I don't remember what it was called .... I had taken my camera with me to compare them.

I am really surprised that Pentax didn't provide what you need.
11-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My ZTE phone uses a Type C connection, not a the standard of many android phones.

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
You originally stated: "...you don't own anything from Microsoft you're only renting it" which seemed to single out Microsoft as being unique in this regard. My response was to point out that you don't own any software that you have not created yourself, not just that from Microsoft. I think we're on the same wavelength, but I just wanted to clarify for the casual reader.
Yes, there are but since I was talking about what another member said cost only $100, I was speaking specifically of Microsoft.
11-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #44
Pentaxian

using the Wi-Fi feature on my K-70 (for which I may have to get further hardware support to be able to use it).
my Windows laptop is a little past it's "Best Before" date, though it does have Wi-Fi, when it's in a good mood

should I be considering some sort of "upgrade"?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments
Here's a table with all tethering options for Pentax cameras:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
11-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so at least some of them were considered a "standard" at one point ... just not this "standard" ... more expense
The good news it that they're only a few dollars, assuming you have no friends or acquaintances that use android or other electronic devices. Too bad you're not nearby, it seems I've got them all over the place that I could lend one to see if it works well for you. You're also right about the changing standard. Newer things are starting to come through with USB micro C, which are oval and can be inserted upside down too.