Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

How does the K-3II feel vs. K-50 & K-70?

I'm looking at potentially getting a new body this Christmas to upgrade/add to my current K-50. I think I am deciding between the K-70 and K-3II, but am leaning towards the K-3II for Astrotracer, battery life, and (hopefully) more professional feel. My current question, though, is how does the K-3II feel? I don't mind that the K-50 is a little plastic-y and smaller because it is an entry level DSLR, but I want something that feels more rugged after picking up my roommate's Nikon D7100. As soon as I picked that thing up, I loved its weight, size, and feel. Does the K-3II (or the K-70, for that matter) have a similar build to the D7100? I know the sizes are fairly similar between the K-50, K-3II, and K-70, but I am assuming the K-70 would be built similarly to the K-50 while the K-3II would be more rugged, a bit heavier in the hand, and maybe a tougher material.

Thanks in advance for any help!

11-15-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 will feel just like the D7100, albeit with a more comfortable and ergonomic grip (IMO). Unlike the K-50, it has a metal body.

The K-70 is in the same class as the K-50 but improves a bit on the ergonomics and user interface. It's real improvement, though, lies in the image quality, which surpasses even that of the K-3.

They are both considerable upgrades so it's hard to go wrong either way, IMO. But if its build quality and longevity that you value most, get the K-3. Otherwise get the K-70 for its newer features and IQ.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2018, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved from a K-50 to a K-3;. the K-3 feels significantly better in your hands...

slightly bigger, blockier, and heavier the K-3 feels much more serious than the K-50...
11-15-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my K 3 and K 3 II, with battery grips, never have touched a K 70

my standard suggestion to this type of question is that if you cannot put hands on the camera bodies in a local store, consider spending some money and renting them so you do your own trial.

I have had very good service from LensRentals.com out of Tennessee.

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

otherwise, you might try reaching out to see if any members of the forum might be " local " enough to meet with you and let you handle the cameras

have you seen this info yet

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax does have an add on accessory that will get you the benefits of in camera GPS

" The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-o-gps1-gps-unit/introduction.html#ixzz5WwutBd9w

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/o-gps1-vs-built-in-astrotracer/introduction.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
11-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
I'm looking at potentially getting a new body this Christmas to upgrade/add to my current K-50. I think I am deciding between the K-70 and K-3II, but am leaning towards the K-3II for Astrotracer, battery life, and (hopefully) more professional feel. My current question, though, is how does the K-3II feel? I don't mind that the K-50 is a little plastic-y and smaller because it is an entry level DSLR, but I want something that feels more rugged after picking up my roommate's Nikon D7100. As soon as I picked that thing up, I loved its weight, size, and feel. Does the K-3II (or the K-70, for that matter) have a similar build to the D7100? I know the sizes are fairly similar between the K-50, K-3II, and K-70, but I am assuming the K-70 would be built similarly to the K-50 while the K-3II would be more rugged, a bit heavier in the hand, and maybe a tougher material.

Thanks in advance for any help!
For what its worth, I've handled the K-70, KP and K-3II when trying to make the decision where to go from my venerable K-5IIs which I love and still use.
Thanks to the folks on Pentaxforums, it made it easier to go with the K3II vs the K-70/KP. Just holding the K-3II, it feels like a camera should and IQ is pretty decent.
K-70 and KP felt "lacking" and the grips just didnt feel right.
Also K-3II 27 point SAFOX-11 AF system vs K-70 uses 11 point SAFOX-10 system with 9 cross type AF points factored in as well as GPS, Asstrotracer sold me.
Usually We are up in Alexandria/Natchitoches area around Thanksgiving week and I would have let you test drive the K-3II but this year we are staying home in NY.
11-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
For what its worth, I've handled the K-70, KP and K-3II when trying to make the decision where to go from my venerable K-5IIs which I love and still use.
Thanks to the folks on Pentaxforums, it made it easier to go with the K3II vs the K-70/KP. Just holding the K-3II, it feels like a camera should and IQ is pretty decent.
K-70 and KP felt "lacking" and the grips just didnt feel right.
Also K-3II 27 point SAFOX-11 AF system vs K-70 uses 11 point SAFOX-10 system with 9 cross type AF points factored in as well as GPS, Asstrotracer sold me.
Usually We are up in Alexandria/Natchitoches area around Thanksgiving week and I would have let you test drive the K-3II but this year we are staying home in NY.
Too bad about you guys not coming down, I may be up near the Vidalia/Ferriday area Thanksgiving week, not too far from where you would be. I'm definitely leaning towards that K-3II, though. Thanks!
11-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-50 & K-3ii, and have no regrets about getting the K-3ii. The shutter is much quieter and build is more substantial.

I still often use the K-50 and really appreciate its size. If it were just image quality you wanted to improve I would say go for a K-70 as it uses the same battery as the K-50, but since you also want the build size and weight, go for the K-3ii.

Astrotracer and GPS are nice features, as is pixel shift even if I rarely use that bit.

Just as the specs say, the K-3ii feels a bit bigger and heavier but not obtrusively so.

It took a short while for me to get used to it, and I put the K-50 in its box for a couple of months but could not bear it sitting idle and started using it again. The K-50 felt small and cute when I came back to it. I now use both all the time.

Oh, and the K-3ii will focus in the darkness if that matters, not sure the K-70 will do that.

11-15-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

FWIW, I would say that there are "difffent places" for the K-50 (or whatever!) and the K-3 - the former is a very capable consumer body, whereas the K-3 is rather "further up" the scale - I (effectively!) have both bodies and I use them appropriately to what I need for my my shots, which is a lightweight and sharp body for general use (thus the k-30/"K-50") and another for shooting more challenging situations (and thus the K-3 & K-3 II).
11-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There's a club at my college that I visit often. The president of that club has a 7100 and I a K-3II. The 7100 feels pretty light compared to the K-3II. Needless to say. The K-3II is heavier than the K-70 but I think the K-70 also feels heavier than the 7100. I like the heft and feel of the K-3II though. I don't have large hands (I'm a smaller guy anyway) but my pinkie still kept slipping under the K-70 but lays well on the grip on the K-3II. It is a wonderful camera to hold.
11-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K3 is heavier and feel more solid in hand than D7100.
It is more like a mini tank.
800g vs 675g without battery

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-15-2018 at 04:36 PM.
11-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can wait until next Christmas, there should be a K-3 II replacement on the shelves. It will be upgraded in IQ, especially for low light/high ISO performance, matching that of the K-70 and KP.
11-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Moving "up" from my K-5 to a new K-70 my initial reaction was "where am I supposed to put my right thumb?", the body really is unnecessarily cramped, in my opinion.
Having been told how to partially disable the buttons on the back of the camera it has become so much easier to actually take photographs with, not having the camera "automagically" changing the drive mode or whatever just because I didn't pick up the camera delicately between thumb-tip and finger-tip!
Having said all that, the image quality is very good so I'm not disappointed with the camera, even if the battery life is half that of my K-5 and it doesn't use the same cable release ... don't forget to order a spare battery
11-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have the K-3 II. The features, style, and performance are excellent.
11-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I have a K-50 & K-3ii, and have no regrets about getting the K-3ii. The shutter is much quieter and build is more substantial.

I still often use the K-50 and really appreciate its size. If it were just image quality you wanted to improve I would say go for a K-70 as it uses the same battery as the K-50, but since you also want the build size and weight, go for the K-3ii.

Astrotracer and GPS are nice features, as is pixel shift even if I rarely use that bit.

Just as the specs say, the K-3ii feels a bit bigger and heavier but not obtrusively so.

It took a short while for me to get used to it, and I put the K-50 in its box for a couple of months but could not bear it sitting idle and started using it again. The K-50 felt small and cute when I came back to it. I now use both all the time.

Oh, and the K-3ii will focus in the darkness if that matters, not sure the K-70 will do that.
What do you mean the K-3II focuses in the darkness? Are you saying it's better at focusing in low light or is there some special method it uses other than a simple AF assist light?
11-16-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
What do you mean the K-3II focuses in the darkness?
The K-3II will often focus in very dark conditions without needing the green light, sometimes I have wondered if I had turned it off.
The specs say the autofocus sensitivity is -3 to 18 EV, where the K-50 is -1 to 18 EV and does get there and then some, at least that's how it looks to me.