Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2018, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you want two aps-c bodies that will give you 24 mp, that will accommodate two lenses without swapping, and which will provide the reach for certain wildlife situations it may be wise to keep both the K-3 and the K-3 II along with the K-1 which can be used for full frame shooting. Otherwise if you do not need the K-3 or K-3 II, I myself would be inclined to hold on to the K-3 II. Just a suggestion.

I have the K-3 II, K-5 IIs, and K-1 II. I have a Sigma 150-500 DG OS on the K-5 IIs, Pentax 16-85 on the K-3 II, and a Pentax 70-200 on the K-1 II. That way I am set up for different types of shooting and do not have to change lenses frequently.

It really depends on what you plan on shooting and equipment set up preference.

Good luck with your choice.
You really need a K-01 and Q to round out your flexible lineup

11-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Haha I have both
11-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Haha I have both
Well....ok then Me too
11-18-2018, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I have both. More than half my images are still taken with the K-3. Out birding or shooting wildlife with the k-3 I can take 1000 images in an afternoon and probably average over 500. The K-1 I use for landscape and more deliberate images. After an afternoon out with the K-3, the K-1 just feels clunky, especially the frame rate and buffer. I'm actually planning the coming APS-c flagship model to be my next upgrade. I'll be hanging onto my K-3 until it's released.

Last edited by normhead; 11-19-2018 at 07:07 AM.
11-18-2018, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you want two aps-c bodies that will give you 24 mp, that will accommodate two lenses without swapping, and which will provide the reach for certain wildlife situations it may be wise to keep both the K-3 and the K-3 II along with the K-1 which can be used for full frame shooting. Otherwise if you do not need the K-3 or K-3 II, I myself would be inclined to hold on to the K-3 II. Just a suggestion.

I have the K-3 II, K-5 IIs, and K-1 II. I have a Sigma 150-500 DG OS on the K-5 IIs, Pentax 16-85 on the K-3 II, and a Pentax 70-200 on the K-1 II. That way I am set up for different types of shooting and do not have to change lenses frequently.

It really depends on what you plan on shooting and equipment set up preference.

Good luck with your choice.
+1. Keeping both for a time will let you figure out if and how you will use them. Some people mainly shoot wider angle, landscapes, and perhaps architectural scenes. And they travel by car to location. They would say just sell everything and use the K-1. But people and their needs are different.

As you can see by this answer, the now ancient K-5 IIs is still a very capable camera, even in this company. I could not agree more. In my case, portability is a key factor. Although my KP remains my most go-to body, with its superior low light/higher ISO and DR performance, I still value and use my K-5 IIs. It has a wonderful controls layout for when I may need to make quick adjustments on the fly, and has a very meaty feel, yet is not really heavy. Results from it are still very impressive. As a backup, it is also now my only model that can use AA lithiums in its battery grip, in case I've let all my batteries run low. At the other end is my little K-S2. I got it several years ago as my smallest lightweight model, giving away my K-r with the old kit lens. It was on special from B&H with the newer 18-50mm kit lens for next to nothing extra- $508 for both brand new! It is great for example in social gatherings, or whenever I want carrying in a large pocket or belt case, and still have a zoom lens!

Having more than one body is also indeed handy for times when you need more than one lens but don't have time to change them. So having the high-quality APS-C for tele applications and other uses, including more compact carrying, is another useful tool in your toolbox.

---------- Post added 11-18-18 at 04:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Your logic for selling the K-3ii makes sense given that the K-1 covers astro and the K-3 has the pop-up flash. You'll also probably get a bit more money for the K-3ii that you can use for more lenses.

Enjoy the K-1! It is a wonderful camera.
+1 also. If selling any, keeping the K-3 would leave you with the greatest flexibility.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-18-2018 at 05:56 PM.
11-18-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I kept my K3 to extend the range of my 600mm lens. I haven’t used it since I got my K1. So it goes.
11-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some great input all - it is appreciated.

I’ll mull over my options and decide how to proceed - right now looking forward to the K-1 arriving tomorrow!

11-19-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

You will love the K1 however keep all of them , you can't pick a favourite child to cull and it is the same with cameras.
11-19-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am one of those who has both. I have the K-3ii in the marketplace now but I am not anxious to sell. I listed to feel less guilty about the money I just spent on lenses I may change my mind and pull it. The K-1 is more fun to work with but the K-3ii is more comfortable to use because of weight and size and, of course, adds the extra reach with telephoto. Not an easy decision.
11-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am one of those who has both. I have the K-3ii in the marketplace now but I am not anxious to sell. I listed to feel less guilty about the money I just spent on lenses I may change my mind and pull it. The K-1 is more fun to work with but the K-3ii is more comfortable to use because of weight and size and, of course, adds the extra reach with telephoto. Not an easy decision.
Haha I'm in the same boat- GAS guilt!
11-19-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Haha I'm in the same boat- GAS guilt!
Gas guilt! a great phrase - GG
11-19-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #27

After getting the K-1, I decided to keep the K-3ii for shooting distant subjects, faster fps and better buffering, lighter and more compact, and because it works best with various DA lenses that I intend to keep. For wildlife, it pairs well with the D FA 150-450 or other telephoto lenses and is better for cropping distant subjects than the K-1. It's also sometimes interesting to use D FA lenses on the K-3. As has been mentioned, with your K-3 you have the added advantage of the flash. With these two cameras, you're well covered and will get the best of FF and APS-C.

You can probably tell that I am expert at justifying not parting with Pentax gear. It almost broke my heart to part exchange a K-5 for a K-5ii.