Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Buy a Leftover (new) K-3ii or a KP ?

Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?


Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?


Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.

11-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,999
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?

Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?

Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.
My K-30 has come down with Dark Image Syndrome, but I can keep it going with manual lenses.

I'm waiting for 2019 announcements before I purchase a KP - but your circumstances may differ.
11-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?


Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?


Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.
Well, it depends on what you plan to shoot. For a more quiet shooting I would definitely take KP ... as I did.
11-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Original Poster
I have 3 Pentax bodies presently: A friend of mine had bought a Nikon and I traded him two older lenses for a used K-3 which I will sell on eBay. The K-1ii is excellent, but when I travel, I like to go light and I had to buy a larger gadget bag for the K-1ii FF lenses. So about 2 months ago, I picked up a leftover K-S2 with the 18-50mm retractable kit lens and am pleased with it, but it doesn't have certain features the 1 series or the 3 series has.

Your sensible approach to cameras is smart. if your present body is taking photos you are pleased with, it doesn't matter. The issue is that I print my own poster size copies (I have a Canon Pro-10 photo printer with the multi-ink wells--very sharp) up to 2 x 3. The extra MP and IQ of Pentax's more advanced bodies appeals to me. Anyway, these aren't really issues to complain about, more like I think RICOH is well overdue to produce a new body...


Nonetheless, I think waiting until the 2019 announcements may be beneficial, but I fear a K-3ii backlash as the last leftover new stock will further appreciate if no new APS-c model is announced.....

11-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?

Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?

Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.
I guess that would depend on what you would use the new APSC for in my opinion. If you need something with great low light High ISO ability, sharp jpegs right out of the camera, and a lighter weight body, then its the KP.
For me, I wanted the dual SDHC cards, flagship body, GPS, larger buffer and higher capacity battery, and to try out the astrotracer functionality of the K-3II.
The KP is a wonderful DSLR in its own right but I didn't like any of the grips and how it felt in my hands ultimately.
Regardless of which one you choose, you've made a very good choice.
11-20-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Well, it depends on what you plan to shoot. For a more quiet shooting I would definitely take KP ... as I did.
Is the exterior of the KP made from the carbon composite that envelops the K-S2 or is it a magnesium exterior like the K-3 series?
11-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,432
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?


Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?


Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.
I don't think you can go too wrong either way. K3II == faster FPS and buffer, KP == slightly nicer sensor and smaller body, if that appeals.


I only have a K3, never used the KP. I saw a KP at B&H in NYC. Looks really nice, to my eyes not a huge leap different in size from the K3, but I would probably think differently if I got a hold of one.

If I had to choose now, I'd probably get the KP, mostly because I like trying different things. My K3 is still awesome, I can't complain.
11-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
I guess that would depend on what you would use the new APSC for in my opinion. If you need something with great low light High ISO ability, sharp jpegs right out of the camera, and a lighter weight body, then its the KP.
For me, I wanted the dual SDHC cards, flagship body, GPS, larger buffer and higher capacity battery, and to try out the astrotracer functionality of the K-3II.
The KP is a wonderful DSLR in its own right but I didn't like any of the grips and how it felt in my hands ultimately.
Regardless of which one you choose, you've made a very good choice.
I am concerned about the grip situation also....I dislike the thin grip on the K-S2 now, but I love the big beefy grip of the K-1ii. The other thing that steers me back towards the K-3ii is the familiarity of having owned one previously. The set-up is very similar to the K-1ii (except in size) though I have to say that all of my digital Pentaxes, starting with the K-100 were set-up in a similar fashion. Simply, all digital Pentaxes over the past 18 years have a family resemblance to each other in looks and dimension, and just like siblings, they are all different as well.

---------- Post added 11-20-18 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I don't think you can go too wrong either way. K3II == faster FPS and buffer, KP == slightly nicer sensor and smaller body, if that appeals.


I only have a K3, never used the KP. I saw a KP at B&H in NYC. Looks really nice, to my eyes not a huge leap different in size from the K3, but I would probably think differently if I got a hold of one.

If I had to choose now, I'd probably get the KP, mostly because I like trying different things. My K3 is still awesome, I can't complain.
Yes thanks...I also have a older beaten up K-3 which is very similar to the K-3ii, but as I said previously, it was a trade for lenses and while it works, I think it had an abusive life because it has issues (I got a 16-45mm DAL lenses in the trade too which was the real part of the trade, not the K-3 body...)

11-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,206
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?
What do you miss about the K-3?

Is your new K-1 sometimes too large/heavy? If yes, the KP is very compact. Alternatively, consider a K-70 which gives you just about everything the K-70 offers for less money.

Do you want faster bursts than the K-1 offers, for sports, action, or twitchy wildlife? The K-3 has a fast burst speed plus large buffer.

Are you missing 24 megapixels in crop mode when photography small targets? K-1 only gives ~16mp in crop mode. K-3, K-70, and KP all offer 24mp; pick one based on burst rate, weight, budget, etc.
11-20-2018, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Is the exterior of the KP made from the carbon composite that envelops the K-S2 or is it a magnesium exterior like the K-3 series?
Magnesium

Why don't you go to the comparison page and see what differences matter to you, I only have the KP of the two, which I love, the grip is a change, but I'm used to it now. Two good cameras, I had the same delima, but Amazon had the KP for $150 less back in July so I jumped on it, and I'm very happy.
11-21-2018, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MiguelATF's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere in Southern Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 99
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Having a bit of seller's remorse over selling my K-3ii a few months ago after taking delivery of a K-1ii and am toying with the notion of buying a new leftover K-3ii for $900 or paying the same amount for a new KP?


Was hoping to hear from the Pentaxians and others who have used both cameras and/or opine on what to do?


Of course, we can wait until RICOH announces the new APS-c 'flagship' rumors have been swirling about for almost 2 years too.....Please advise. thanks.
Reading your initial question, there are really only two answers---

Answer #1: if you really liked the K-3ii, and miss it - then by all means you should spring for another one! Figuring out what you like, in the first place, is the hardest part...but it sounds like you already know (that you liked your K-3ii and miss it).

Answer #2: if, on the other hand, you've always really wanted a K-P, then it's the one for you!

Incidentally, I own neither...but several days ago, I purchased my very own K-P, which will be an upgrade for me over my ancient but quite wonderful K200D (which by the way I plan on keeping, since I like it too much to say farewell). But (and it's a big but) the other cameras that seriously tempted me, over the years, before finally springing for a K-P this week, were (in no special order) ... the Nikon Df ... various Fujifilms ... and the Olympus Pen F. I like retro designs with lots of buttons, but in my case, it's not just for a fashion statement: I grew up with analog and spent not years but decades, shooting with Spotmatics and MX's, and cameras with lots of buttons and dials feel 'right' to me. That said, I quite enjoy the tank-like solidity of my K200d and (I know I'm in the minority here) have never been too bothered by its unreliable AF and laughably limited ISO range. The thing I love about that camera is the sensor, and the colors, and how it renders---

Which of course suggests that there may be a 3rd answer to your original question---but it's an answer in the form of another Question:

Answer #3: Which of the two cameras, the K-3ii or the K-P....can create the kind of images you truly love?

It's not a trick question by the way. The lazy answer to the Question in Answer #3 would be: these days, all fine modern DSLR's have excellent sensors and when one is shooting RAW, the differences between RAW files are usually minimal, and you can usually achieve the look and the visual signature or effects you want if you know what you're doing in your 'Digital Darkroom'. And to a certain extent that answer is a good one. But---

But I still believe that different cameras have different looks to their files - differences which can't merely be ironed out or equalized in PP.
So---which one will give you better files - and thus, better images?

For me, personally, I came to the K-P for design and customizability factors and size - but also, at the end of the day, because I've seen some extraordinary pictures made by K-P photographers. But that's just my perception, really.

And, obviously, the reverse holds true: no matter how good your camera is, a bad or lazy (or both!) photographer can actually take terrible pictures with a great camera or lens. Go figure...

Good-luck with the decision. Obviously they are both fine cameras.
11-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 178
I have an original K1 and my wife has a KP - the menus and controls are so similar, it is no issue swapping between the cameras (when she lets me...). My wife also has an Olympus M1 with all the good lenses, which is very close in size to the KP. Her results from the KP are noticeably better. I've not used the K3, but the KP focussing is a tad quicker than my K1.

Maybe a KP Mk2 or K3 Mk3 is just around the corner...

Difficult choices! ;-)
11-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,225
QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
Reading your initial question, there are really only two answers---

Answer #1: if you really liked the K-3ii, and miss it - then by all means you should spring for another one! Figuring out what you like, in the first place, is the hardest part...but it sounds like you already know (that you liked your K-3ii and miss it).

Answer #2: if, on the other hand, you've always really wanted a K-P, then it's the one for you!

Incidentally, I own neither...but several days ago, I purchased my very own K-P, which will be an upgrade for me over my ancient but quite wonderful K200D (which by the way I plan on keeping, since I like it too much to say farewell). But (and it's a big but) the other cameras that seriously tempted me, over the years, before finally springing for a K-P this week, were (in no special order) ... the Nikon Df ... various Fujifilms ... and the Olympus Pen F. I like retro designs with lots of buttons, but in my case, it's not just for a fashion statement: I grew up with analog and spent not years but decades, shooting with Spotmatics and MX's, and cameras with lots of buttons and dials feel 'right' to me. That said, I quite enjoy the tank-like solidity of my K200d and (I know I'm in the minority here) have never been too bothered by its unreliable AF and laughably limited ISO range. The thing I love about that camera is the sensor, and the colors, and how it renders---

Which of course suggests that there may be a 3rd answer to your original question---but it's an answer in the form of another Question:

Answer #3: Which of the two cameras, the K-3ii or the K-P....can create the kind of images you truly love?

It's not a trick question by the way. The lazy answer to the Question in Answer #3 would be: these days, all fine modern DSLR's have excellent sensors and when one is shooting RAW, the differences between RAW files are usually minimal, and you can usually achieve the look and the visual signature or effects you want if you know what you're doing in your 'Digital Darkroom'. And to a certain extent that answer is a good one. But---

But I still believe that different cameras have different looks to their files - differences which can't merely be ironed out or equalized in PP.
So---which one will give you better files - and thus, better images?

For me, personally, I came to the K-P for design and customizability factors and size - but also, at the end of the day, because I've seen some extraordinary pictures made by K-P photographers. But that's just my perception, really.

And, obviously, the reverse holds true: no matter how good your camera is, a bad or lazy (or both!) photographer can actually take terrible pictures with a great camera or lens. Go figure...

Good-luck with the decision. Obviously they are both fine cameras.
This is an interesting, thoughtful response, but why do you hyphenate KP as K-P? I even checked to see whether there might be another camera I had missed. Just curious.
11-21-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,294
That leftover K-3II is pricey at $900. Just a few months ago one was able to get a limited edition for $729 & a black one with the grip for about $830. I understand that they are now going up in price, due to the lack of availability of old new stock, but I wouldn't pay no more than $729 for a new one.

I'd wait until CP+. Something will be announced around that time. It's about 100 days away.
11-21-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #15
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,999
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'd wait until CP+. Something will be announced around that time. It's about 100 days away.
As noted above, that is exactly what I am doing. My main interest is in improving AF and high ISO performance, because those are the areas where my K-30 was disappointing even before it was struck by Dark Image Syndrome, so if nothing amazes me soon, the KP goes on my shopping list.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
anyway, body, buffer, camera, decision, dslr, film, flash, grip, hype, k-3, k-3ii, k3, kp, lens, lenses, line, monday, pentax, photography, pm, post, report, set-up, thread, tip, trade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy K-3ii or try to like KP or ? drimik Pentax DSLR Discussion 56 08-25-2018 11:26 AM
comprar una KP o pasarme al formato compreto (Buy a KP or switch to the full format)? mariovidal Pentax KP 5 06-29-2018 05:45 AM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM
Leftover: chair in the snow tungal Monthly Photo Contests 8 09-04-2015 09:41 AM
A few leftover birds for my last post...... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 21 08-18-2008 04:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top