Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why wasn't there more fuss made about the KP's newer sensor?

For most of the past year and a half I've been under the impression that the 24.3MP sensor in the KP and K-70 was the same as that in the K-3, with processing improvements leading to noise reduction at higher ISOs.

Only very recently I've looked more carefully and it seems as though the sensor used in the newer cameras is actually a newer generation Sony sensor.

Why isn't this bigger news in favour of the KP? The accelerator unit is great, but the newer sensor greatly underpins the huge improvements seen in higher ISO values for both the KP and K-70 cameras.

11-21-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure that there was quite the fuss about the newer sensor and improved ISO usability....
11-21-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm pretty sure that there was quite the fuss about the newer sensor and improved ISO usability....
Yes, there was a lot of discussion of this. The sensor is certainly newer.

We saw with the K-1 -> K-1 II that the accelerator unit alone doesn't do nearly as much as a newer sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can someone point us to the sensor discussions. I really can't remember them.

11-21-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I still get people responding with incredulity when I point them to Pentax KP better at high ISO than K-70, especially after DxO PRIME treatment – breakfastographer - as though it weren't true. It should be obvious to anybody that the text is more readable on the left, and noise reduction will not magically bring back detail that the sensor was unable to record. (Yes, AI can do it with "hallucination"... different topic!)
11-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well by all accounts both the K70 and KP have a far superior sensor to the K3 cameras.

I have a KP and for indoor shooting it leaves my K3 in the dust.
11-21-2018, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I thought it was common knowledge here. Many questions about which camera to buy get answered like:

"Get the K3 for burst speed and buffer size. Get the KP for image quality. Get the K70 for budget image quality."

11-21-2018, 06:35 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's because the details about the new sensor fell into the same black hole that early on enveloped the entire KP. Mostly, the camera's unique abilities remain an official state secret, even among Pentaxians.
11-21-2018, 07:10 PM - 4 Likes   #9
dbs
Pentaxian

'Everyone' was waiting for the flagship to arrive so the KP was dismissed

Dave
11-21-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
'Everyone' was waiting for the flagship to arrive so the KP was dismissed

Dave
How true, and what a shame.
11-21-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I was able to test drive a KP while my K-S2 was being repaired for ACB failure. I was able to get indoor existing light shots at ISO 1600 and 3200 that I probably wouldn't have even bothered trying with my K-S2. I was really impressed. Ended up buying a KP.
11-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
How true, and what a shame.
Hi Tom

I don't know how old the KP is but "everyone' is still waiting for the Flagship to arrive,when is it ,2019 maybe

I haven't heard too many complaints about the KP either it seems to be a very good camera.

Personally I like the top screen so still use my K5ll.....but you never know

Dave
11-21-2018, 09:17 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

People who didn't buy the Kp complained about video quality, no 4k, digital video stabilization, battery life, no second SD card, "uncomfortable grips", stylistics, price, not full frame, screw drive AF, no top screen, no clean HDMI out, no headphone port, not mirrorless, lack of astro features, no GPS, poor wifi apps, lack of super high stills frame rates, and it being heavy for it's size. Probably more than that, but that's already a fair list.

People who bought the KP enthused about weight and size, low light performance, low light video, robustness, lots of physical controls, good viewfinder, and above all good image quality.

I personally bought one, and am very happy with it, I mainly use Panasonic's for video, the Kp does fine for everything else. The battery life isn't great, but other than that I'm not bothered (I just carry spares, but I tend to get 500 odd frames per battery when shooting heavily). There are other cameras which will match it, or exceed it's specs, but for my usage personally it's about the cheapest option for what it does (I mainly bought it as a weatherproof night photography camera).
11-21-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I do have the KP and is a great camera. Way better in low light than my my K-5.
11-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More fuss? As far as I remember there was plenty of fuss