Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frontfocus after upgrade k1 to K1II

Hi, I received my Upgraded k1II, inmediatly I notice a frontfocus with my FA 20 2.8 , I have done test with many on my lens and I can say there is a -6 frontfocus in most of them . Anybody notice some issue after upgrade.?
is this issue covered by warranty?
thanks

11-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It sounds normal to me, you'd expect to have to fine tune autofocus for the new camera. It's within the adjustment range. My k3ii had on average +6 before going for repairs two years ago, and now it's more around +3 if I remember correctly, so even service adjustments on one camera will require re-calibration.
11-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
It sounds normal to me, you'd expect to have to fine tune autofocus for the new camera. It's within the adjustment range. My k3ii had on average +6 before going for repairs two years ago, and now it's more around +3 if I remember correctly, so even service adjustments on one camera will require re-calibration.
If I'm reading the post right this was the same camera, a k1 that was upgraded to a k1mkii. Given that no mount work is done, no sensor work is done, it does seem odd that this changed.

What was the repair on your k3ii?
11-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If I'm reading the post right this was the same camera, a k1 that was upgraded to a k1mkii. Given that no mount work is done, no sensor work is done, it does seem odd that this changed.

I missed the part that this was an upgrade.

For mine, the mode dial was broken, the repair shop was precision. The reason AF fine tune changed was because they included a CLA, which I guess includes adjusting the AF sensor. I'd assume the upgrade also includes some similar adjustment.

11-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This seems odd. I checked several lenses before and after the K-1 to K-1ii upgrade and observed no change. However they do check the AF calibration so maybe yours needed adjustment.
11-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

The board replacement resets all settings, so if you had any fine adjustments before, they would need to be re-entered.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The board replacement resets all settings, so if you had any fine adjustments before, they would need to be re-entered.
This ^ ^ ^

And given that the upgrade included changes to the AF system, one would expect changes to behavior there as well. It is always possible that the AF system calibration from the upgrade was not proper.

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
is this issue covered by warranty?
If you feel that the global AF settings were poorly calibrated with the upgrade, you might want to take the matter up with Ricoh and/or the company that did the upgrade.

Steve