Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2018, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Super excited about getting the KP!

I really wasn't expecting such a good deal on the KP this year, but with some help from family I'm finally able to upgrade from the aging k-01 (which I still do love but I needed something that could autofocus a bit better).

The k-01 and my brother's K-30 are really my only points of comparison, how much of a difference am I in for?

11-25-2018, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The k-01 and my brother's K-30 are really my only points of comparison, how much of a difference am I in for?
Major earthquake stuff I'd say. The KP is truly an outstanding camera delivering near-FF image quality in a revolutionary body. It is lightyears ahead of either the K-01 or the K-30.

Congratulations and enjoy your purchase. You'll find yourself shooting in circumstances you wouldn't dream of before. Pair the thing with a decent and sharp optic - doesn't have to break the bank either (the 50mm/1.8 and 35mm/f2.4 come to mind).
11-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You'll be on for a, "I can't believe that ISO 25600 is very usable," kind of thing.
11-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
be prepared for the downside, too - the new sensor/processor will show any and all defects in your photography...

when I moved from my K-50 to the K-3, it took a while for me to get used to the new equipment and my pictures were off for a bit...

11-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All of the above ^ ^ ^

The sensor may ask more of a couple of lenses,* but overall you will be amazed.

Steve

* My DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 v1 has been idle since the day I got the K-3. Downsampled to 16Mpx it is OK, but can't cut it at 24Mpx.
11-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Even from a K3 to the KP is a pretty big change. A lot of really usefull features, possibly unequaled in Pentax land. The customisation features are limitles.
11-25-2018, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of being a contrarian, I think that although the shooting experience of the KP will obviously be radically different from that of your K-01 - and obviously the remarkable low-light (high ISO) and other qualities of its sensor and imaging engine will enhance your photographic abilities - the differences in terms of image files may be harder to immediately notice or quantify. Which is all a long-winded way of saying: the K-01 does not get an excess of love among hardcore Pentaxians, possibly because of its fashion-conscious mirrorless design (but also non-traditional and exceedingly different, evolutionarily speaking, from most if not all other Pentax DSLR's) - but in spite of that, it is a remarkable camera. In certain photographic circles, the K-01 has the reputation of being one of the great - and greatly underrated - camera not merely that Pentax produced, but of all time. I've seen some incredible photographs from K-01 photographers; it is, in my estimation, simply a great photographic tool

But, yes, of course, the KP is in many big ways and many small ones, an even better tool. So congrats - because you will now have not one but two great cameras. Confession: I just bought one (a new KP) too, the first totally 'new' camera I've been motivated to buy in maybe a million years. So I'm equally optimistic that its array of technological goodies, packed into a relatively compact package, will broaden my own photographic horizons as well

Congrats on the purchase!

11-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K-30 to the KP. I believe the sensor in the K-01 and the K30 are the same, and yes the KP is a significant improvement in IQ and autofocus. I actually don’t mind using it live view, if that’s your thing coming from a K-01, and the flip screen is nice for composing.
11-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with all of the above. It is a definite step up. And it will reveal this better with better lenses. And, although I noticed improvements right away with the KP while having top-notch lenses on it, I still like my 16mp K-5 IIs, which can still produce excellent imaging. The KP's imaging is simply even more excellent. It is even exceptional right out of the camera. Just remember, as I always remind, to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus.

I know you've been salivating for quite some time over the idea of getting the KP. You also have some fine lenses to go on it. It will not disappoint. Glad you finally made the jump! Enjoy!
11-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really wasn't expecting such a good deal on the KP this year, but with some help from family I'm finally able to upgrade from the aging k-01 (which I still do love but I needed something that could autofocus a bit better).

Congratulations on the great deal!! No K-01 but I do have a K-30, which I haven't used since the KP arrived (I still use the K-50 some though). There is a lot of difference, most really good. However it's not hard to get used to since Pentax is pretty consistent on user interfaces. The grip has been much talked about as being different, I use the deepest grip and have gotten used to the difference, I'm sure that will be a difference from the K-01 also. I use back button focusing and the button placement is a little different, no biggie but it took some getting used to. There are still a lot of things that I have not used on this camera, it has so much. The low light abilities are striking and the image quality is superb. Have fun, you're going to love it.
11-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just got my KP last week so I'm still learning my way around it. I love the third control wheel; so far I've got it set up for ISO and EV compensation. I got a 16-85 with it at the same time. The lens is a bit bigger than I'm used to and the hood, when reversed, is a bit akward and bulky, but I'll get used to it.

Here's a pretty pedestrian architectural shot taken at 85mm, ISO 400, f8 at 1/1600 sec. JPEG with Auto Levels and Unsharp Mask applied in Photoshop Elements.

And here's a 100% crop from the same:

I'm amazed at the level of detail recorded in the starlings that were so small in the viewfinder, that weren't even the objective of the photo. I was just messing around and not being particularly careful or painstaking (which you can certainly tell from the uninspired composition, and that's on me), but the camera and lens delivered.
11-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded in part from the K5IIs to the K1 a year ago, and don't have the KP. However, in light of all the high ISO praise, low ISO should be fabulous too. In shooting the K1 for the Milky Way, ISO 800 is high, although I push it to ISO51200 to check framing and focus, before turning it down to 800 to shoot for the actual image.

The KP should have a lot of the fine characteristics at lower ISO values. I see too many other folks going to the higher ISO values - well, just because they can, which does not mean that they have to.

11-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Congrats! You're definitely going to be in for a treat!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I upgraded in part from the K5IIs to the K1 a year ago, and don't have the KP. However, in light of all the high ISO praise, low ISO should be fabulous too. In shooting the K1 for the Milky Way, ISO 800 is high, although I push it to ISO51200 to check framing and focus, before turning it down to 800 to shoot for the actual image.

The KP should have a lot of the fine characteristics at lower ISO values. I see too many other folks going to the higher ISO values - well, just because they can, which does not mean that they have to.
When I go to higher ISO values, it will still be because I 'need to'. Right now, with my K-30, I limit myself to ISO=800, so when TAv mode wants ISO over that, I shoot underexposed, or I dial back the shutter speed, or I dial back the aperture; with the KP, I plan to be less conservative.
11-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Here's a quick example of improved IBIS: 16mm, ISO 6400, f5 at 1/2 sec. Again, nothing to write home about on the creative end, but I'm finding this sort of snap-happy, shoot-anything-and-everything approach a good way to learn the measure of the machine, finding its limits as well as my own. (I won't burden y'all with the pictures I've taken of my living room...). So far, I'm very impressed.

100% crop of the same.

The porch light is blown out, but the light visible through the windows exhibits little if any trailing from camera movement, of which I would have expected a little at this degree of enlargement. Not all my shots from this late night walk down the street came out as well, but to have anything this still at 1/2 second handheld is, for me, surprising. Granted, this was at 16mm, not 85mm, but still pretty impressive for hand held.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-25-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Forgot image link