Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! Good camera body demands great glass. Pair it with one and you're in for a treat.

11-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Ignoring the topic for a moment, what are all the bags for?

Back on topic, I've found the Kp very very good for an apsc camera, I'm not sure I'd compare it with the latest full frame cameras (they have subtlety different upsides and downsides), but for apsc it's exceptional, and it can see things I can't even see at night, the stabilisation is also very good, I'm very happy with mine.
11-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
what are all the bags for?
Although I am at the other end of the country, those bags would be leaves and other compostable yard material to be taken away by the municipal waste disposal service.
11-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing them carted away in that lighting and exposure settings, would produce some interesting blur effects!

11-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
Although I am at the other end of the country, those bags would be leaves and other compostable yard material to be taken away by the municipal waste disposal service.
Yes, that's what they're for. You can tell where people shop for them by the branding on the bags, too. Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...
11-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm struggling with the thought of getting a KP as I have a K3....wondering if on balance it's really a worthwhile move (esp as I'be been waiting for a true K3(II) upgrade). I love the idea of the better High ISO image quality, 5-axis stabilization, better AF and tilt screen, but wondering about some of the features it's missing (which I'd miss but don't seem as important as the advantages mentioned).....hmmm...maybe I'm starting to tilt.....

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Even from a K3 to the KP is a pretty big change. A lot of really usefull features, possibly unequaled in Pentax land. The customisation features are limitles.
11-26-2018, 04:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I really wasn't expecting such a good deal on the KP this year, but with some help from family I'm finally able to upgrade from the aging k-01 (which I still do love but I needed something that could autofocus a bit better).

The k-01 and my brother's K-30 are really my only points of comparison, how much of a difference am I in for?
You will love it! I went from a KS-2 to the KP and it was big difference for me. Live view is much improved over other Pentax DSLR's (not having a k-01 I can't comment). The electronic shutter in live view is dead silent. Depending upon how much you pixel peep you may get Lens GAS though, so be warned :-) But the 2 plastic Fantastics hold their own with it. My DA 20-40 Limited lives on the KP. I really love the tilt screen of the the articulated one in the KS-2, because its on the same axis as the lens and therefore easier for me to frame an image with it.

11-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm struggling with the thought of getting a KP as I have a K3....wondering if on balance it's really a worthwhile move (esp as I'be been waiting for a true K3(II) upgrade). I love the idea of the better High ISO image quality, 5-axis stabilization, better AF and tilt screen, but wondering about some of the features it's missing (which I'd miss but don't seem as important as the advantages mentioned).....hmmm...maybe I'm starting to tilt.....
Well, it all depends on your shooting style and subject. In our family we have a K3 and KP, and both of them get used, depending on the situation. The small lenses go on the KP (i do not have the grip, and that could even thing out) and the bigger ones on the K3. If you shoot a lot with massive lenses, waiting for the k3 replacement would be the logical choice. I for one am curious what goes on behind the curtains.If all goes well i will be updating most probably in 2020.

I do not know of features present in the K3 that are absent in the KP (axcept a few missing buttons and the top lcd). Maybe rent one and decide after if it's worth it
11-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I do not know of features present in the K3 that are absent in the KP (axcept a few missing buttons and the top lcd). Maybe rent one and decide after if it's worth it
The main issues I hear about is that the K-3 has a larger battery {D-Li109 instead of D-Li90} and larger buffer.
11-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe:
1. Larger battery (noted)
2. IR ports
3. 2 SD slots
4. stronger on-board strobe
5. top LCD
6. Bigger buffer (noted)
7. Longer rated shutter
8. 3.2" screen vs 3.0"
9. Faster max shutter speed

Whether or not they are really significant issues or lose out to the better IQ, AF, IBIS and tilt screen of the KP is another story.....

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The main issues I hear about is that the K-3 has a larger battery {D-Li109 instead of D-Li90} and larger buffer.
11-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
You will definitely like tilting with the rear screen! Very useful for shooting from low or high positions. Nothing wrong with having a K-3 and a KP. And/or a KP and K-1 as well. Each has its own advantages. I have the KP (now 2 of them) but still have and like my K-5 IIs. It has similar advantages to the K-3 except for the 2-card slots, which I would not use anyway. So for a deeper buffer (I rarely do much burst shooting), or when I need its excellent on-body controls set for quick changes, its battery grip which can take AA lithiums in a pinch, balance with bigger lenses, etc. etc. I do not hesitate to employ my older camera. Not bad at higher ISO either, has very good DR, and still delivers impressive imaging. But for most uses, and certainly for low light or otherwise needing higher ISO for shutter speeds, for better compactness for portability, top-notch IQ, better SR, even better AF, I love my KP!

Although I do like the top LCD panel, and have been used to that for years, I soon got used to being without one with my little KS-2, and then the KP, which somehow is better. As I say, the controls aren't as good as my K-5 IIs, but far better than the K-S2/K-70 style. On my K-5 IIs, for instance, I switch metering to spot, etc. quickly with a handy lever. Not quite as handy, but still pretty quick, doing the same via the 2 extra top dial knobs is handy enough. The AE-L button is dual-use also as a back AF button. But I leave it set to AE-L because I do use this feature with some frequency, and the shutter button half-press is what I generally use for AF anyway. So there are some things to get used to, but the KP is definitely more advanced over a K-70 in practically every way, and has both compact-practical and performance advantages over its larger relatives.

As to battery life, I keep a spare in the front accessory pocket of my camera holster-type belt pack, along with the little DA 15mm Limited and some SD cards, etc. I also have the KP's battery grip, which can provide immense battery life, in addition to a much larger gripping surface and balance for larger lenses, and at about the same total weight as a K-3 II.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-26-2018 at 04:12 PM.
11-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When I get my KP in I will be Singling in on my Takumar Bayonet 135 2.5. I've only singled in once before and it was with the same lens about 3 years ago; I want to see how far I've come.