Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My K20D has been replaced for a 2nd time now!!!

Starting to become a little unhappy with Pentax.

My first K20D was returned and the body replaced due to a faulty focus sensor.

Today I had to return the brand new replacement body because the camera completely packed it in and wouldn't work.

I am now onto my 3RD! K20D body in 6 months.

I sincerely hope the track record I am experiencing is not happening elsewhere.

One thing I am happy about it that Pentax replaced the unit on-site without having to send it away, after 1.5 hours of arguing and refusing to leave.

09-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
One thing I am happy about it that Pentax replaced the unit on-site without having to send it away, after 1.5 hours of arguing and refusing to leave.

Not to good a record... I take my hat off to you mate for persisting for 1.5 hours.

I'm a ten minute man.... b4 any comments on this... its regarding arguing for ten minutes
09-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To be honest I nearly gave up, I was walking out and I said to the manager to just hurry up and get a new one sent back and I would make sure I got a full refund and invest my money in Canon and never look at pentax again. After that they conveniently found a new K20D in their office for me.
09-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am getting ready to get the k20D at the end of Oct. I hope the unit I get is a good unit.

By the way, did you get the k20D online in Australia or from a store?

09-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

that really a bad experience for you with Pentax, I'm pretty happy with the K20d...I haven't found any mechanical fault in it. Good luck on your third body.
09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
refusing to leave.
it looks that you do not have a police down there, do you ?
09-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #7

Sounds like a problem customer rather than problem cameras.
09-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Janosh,
send me your address and I will mail you a copy of How to win friends and influence people. LOL

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Sounds like a problem customer rather than problem cameras.

09-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
it looks that you do not have a police down there, do you ?
The camera is not cheap. Defend our own ultimate consumer right til the very end.

Customers are always right unless customers murder the shopkeepers...
09-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I believe I have the right as a consumer who spent a hell of alot of money on Pentax gear to demand rectification of the problem.

No offence fellas but you both sound Indian or from the sub-continent somewhere and over your way shopkeepers probably do call the police rather than provide any sort of customer service. It's always easy to hide behind someone else rather than take ownership of a situation and resolve it.

In Australia, diplomacy is paramount when dealing with customers. I myself run a service orientated business and know how important keeping the customer happy is.

I also would not have been as upset as I was if it wasn't for the fact this was the second time I had to return a camera which had become faulty within 3 months or receiving it.

I honestly hope the 3rd time is a treat.

Raider I purchased my original camera body through Camera House, however there are other retailers who sell them a little cheaper. I could recommend Digital Camera Warehouse at Canterbury in Sydney.
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had my K20D since march and it's one of the first batches that arrived at B&H, so far it's never failed me even after getting beer spilled on it at a fashion show and salt water splashes. but I have given up on getting a good AF540 flash and settled on a metz. Nicholas just seems to be having my experience with bodies rather than flashes, or as many are having with 16-50mm lenses there are bad units that do get out there.

That said a fellow photo friend of mine just sent back another D300 that gave up it's soul on him, so lets hope both him and Nicholas get good units this time around.
09-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
so lets hope both him and Nicholas get good units this time around.
Amen to that my friend!
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Nicholas, I think this is just a case of pure bad luck, I hope so anyway. There haven't been too many problems reported apart from the initial ones when the camera first came out.
Just put it down to one of life's shitty experiences.

But if you get another duffer.................I don't know what to say to that.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-20-2008 at 02:49 PM.
09-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #14

I sent a body back to DCW for exchange slow front focus/slow computing/out of line Af coupler. The replacement also has a slightly wonky Af coupler but everything else about it is spot on so ive kept this one.
10-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
but I have given up on getting a good AF540 flash and settled on a metz.
And we've had both of our Metz 58's replaced after they went faulty with zoom errors.

Kit does go wrong, the important thing is how it's handled. In our case SRS in the UK just swapped, no questions asked, no receipts etc.

We also had our DA* 16-50 die the day before a wedding shoot, we were knocking on their door bright and early, had a brand new example in our hands and out of Watford before the shop was even supposed to open.

But then having spent a few thousand pounds and having a very good relationship with your local store really does make a huge difference, and is vastly underrated!